Trying To Close The Distance

Closing The Distance

They spotted him, Kim Sung Gyu thought to himself as he ran to the opposite direction. This tux is a dead give away. He should've changed into something casual. Things like these should be planned ahead. Why is he so impulsive, he berates himself.

    He kept running, trying to put as much distance as he could between him and the people who's chasing him. Why can't they just give up? His parents must be desperate.

    Shin Ha Rin decided she had enough waiting. She'd hunt that girl down if it's the last thing that she does. Problem is, she has no idea where to start her search. Looking back towards the building where they did the photo shoot, she should go back from the start. Maybe that evil person is in there lounging around laughing her head off thinking how stupid Ha Rin is to not figure out her whereabouts. She really needs to find a better job, she thought to herself. She was about to head towards their office building when something, no someone (things don't make oomph sounds, right?) came barreling into her.

    Kim Sung Gyu admits that he wasn't looking at where he's going, but in his current predicament, no one can really think straight, right? He heard an 'ouch', a female. It's actually obvious from all these lace and white things she's wearing... wait... lace? This girl's wearing a wedding dress. Was Hye Jin able to follow him? Getting up in panic, he was ready to getaway, when a hand grabbed his leg.

    "Ya!" That doesn't sound like Hye Jin... looking at the owner of the hand, he was surprised to see that the girl was wearing a wedding gown identical to the one his supposed-to-be bride was wearing. Maybe a few details were different, but men don't usually pay attention to those things. And besides, he needs to getaway and fast...

    "Sorry, but I really need to go..." He tried to inch away, but her grip on his leg tightened.

    "You broke my shoe..." she said accusingly, indicating the said shoe she has on her feet.

    "Bwoh? Me... Wait, I broke your shoe? You were the one who's standing in the middle of the sidewalk blocking people's path... So why is it my fault..."

    "Ya! It IS your fault. If you didn't run into me, I wouldn't fall and break this stupid heel..." she stopped talking and looked directly at him. "Stop squinting at me!" she exclaimed.

    "I'm not squinting at you... This is how my eyes are..."

    "See... You're doing it again..."

    "What?!"

    "Squinting! I can't see your eyes..." She stated, while pointing a finger at him.

    "It's bad to point at people... and stop saying bad things about my eyes... Look, if you're mad at me because of that shoe... I'll pay you back... Just give me a contact number or something... I really need to go..."

    Looking back at the direction he came from, Kim Sung Gyu noticed that his pursuers are closing in on him. Should he just leave her there?

    "I'll just... Aish! Can you stand up?"

    The girl gave herself a tentative push, but with the amount of time she's taking just to get on her feet, those guys would probably have seen him already. So he grabbed her arm and heaved her in a piggy back.

    "Wait... What are you doing?!"

    "Where do you need to go?"

    "Huh?"

    "Tell me, hurry up... I have other things to do..." 

    "In that building?"

    "Seriously? Nevermind... Let's just buy you a new pair..."

    "But someone in that building has my stuff... And the shoes are company property... I can't just buy a new one..."

    "Will just have it fixed then... That person can wait... I'm not going back in that building..." He started walking towards the shopping areas. He should've just stayed still... Or hid in a room somewhere. 

    Shin Ha Rin examined the person who's carrying her. He's not that bad looking, except he has that frown on his face. And why is he wearing a white tux... Wait... "Were you also in that building earlier?"

    "Yes, why?"

    "Your suit... Is that also in the collection?"

    "What collection?"

    "You weren't at the wedding exhibit?"

    "Well, I hope it was just an exhibit..."

    "Omo... You're the runaway groom..."

    He snorted. Runaway groom? Can't they think of anything better than calling him that?

    "I just heard a few people in the lobby earlier... They were saying you were a complete ..."

    "Bwoh?!'

    "Well, you are an ... I mean what type of person proposes and then ditches his bride in the altar..."

    The guy's hold on her loosened, if she wasn't fast enough to hold on to him, she would've fallen. "Ya! What was that about?!" She shrieked while adjusting her position.

    "You don't know the whole story so stop judging me..." He started walking again and Ha Rin let out a sigh of relief. She thought he was just going to drop her there in the middle of the road. "You don't even know my name..." She heard him mutter... Should she ask his name then?

    She wasn't usually judgmental and she feels a bit guilty having told the stranger that when she really doesn't have any idea about his situation. "Sorry... I shouldn't have said that..." She paused for a while. Should she...

    "It's okay... It's not your fault..." 

    They continued walking for a while. A few people were looking at them... A couple of middle aged ladies started sighing and putting their hands on their hearts. Kim Sung Gyu heard one of them saying how cute they were. Wait, did they think they were...

    "They think we're a couple..."

    "You're lucky to have a handsome husband then..."

    "Bwoh?! Lucky? Ahjusshi... I don't know you..."

    He was about to retort when he heard one of his parents men. He should run, but having this girl on his back is making it difficult for him to walk let alone run. So he decided to just keep walking, he's leaving it up to fate... A couple of minutes has passed but they didn't even look his way. Those guys just went past him. Maybe having this girl with him isn't bad after all. I mean they'd be looking for a guy running wearing a white suit, not a couple.

    "Ahjusshi..."

    He decided to retaliate when he thinks that his pursuers where nowhere in sight. "Stop calling me ahjusshi... I'm not that old... Maybe older than you, but not old enough to be called an ahjusshi..."

    "But you walk really slow? Am I heavy? Are you having a hard time carrying me?"

    "I'm fine... Let's buy you that replacement shoe..."

    "You could pay for the repair of the shoe I'm wearing... And maybe lend me money to buy another pair... Not the expensive kind... I'm fine with anything... I just don't want to wear these things anymore... They hurt..." she rumbled.

    "How would you pay me..."

    "Since you don't want to go back to that building... Maybe you could give me your phone number... I'll tell you where to meet me to give your money back..."

    "Eh... Have you fallen for me? Is that just a plot to get my number..."

    "I'm really not in a position to kick you right now... But if I get a chance, I will..."

    "Okay, okay... No need to be violent..."

    "Wait, here... I know the haraboji that works there... We could have him repair my shoes..."

    The ordeal lasted for an hour and if Kim Sung Gyu would admit it to himself, he was able to enjoy the day, despite having it start wrongly. He decided that the girl wasn't that bad so they exchanged numbers only because she wanted to pay him back for the pretty ballet flats that she bought.

    His phone suddenly rang, the same time as hers. Looking at the screen, he breathed a sigh of relief when he saw his friend's name. Someone decided to be nice and rescue him, finally. He glanced back at the girl but she was busy talking on her phone.

   "Are you ready to go?" she asked, after pocketing her phone.

   "About that... A friend of mine would be picking me up here... So..."

   "It's okay... I can go back on my own... My boss is asking me to get back already..."

   "Did I get you in trouble?"

   "No... Don't worry... I'll just... message you once I'm able to get my wallet... Thanks for helping me pick the shoes.... They're pretty..."

   "That's not a problem..."

   There was an awkward silence that followed. Shin Ha Rin doesn't know what to do in situations like this. She should've just said goodbye and head on her way but she can't just leave him like that. 

   A car suddenly stopped in front of them. The front window opened up revealing a guy smiling mischievously at her companion.

   "Grandpa Gyu... Do you need rescuing?" The guy teased.

   "Nam Woo Hyun... You're late... You were supposed to be here earlier..."

   "Your mother was interrogating us... And Ho Won's still being held up as we speak... Let's go..."

   He paused for a moment, contemplating on what he'll say to her. Well, he should just say goodbye and then leave, right? It's not as if they're acquainted. He just met her accidentally.

   "I'll go ahead now... Good Luck with whatever it is you're doing..." She said this while smiling mischievously, Sung Gyu can't help but laugh.

   "Thanks... Don't forget... You still owe me those shoes..."

   "I won't..."

   "Ya! Stop flirting... We still need to rescue Ho Won..."

   "Bye then...."

   "Bye!" 

   Both of them separated with a wave. And maybe a bit of regret...