1

Daddy Dae

You smiled softly without opening your eyes as you felt Daehyun's arm curl around your waist and pull you closer into the curve of his body. His lips rested against the top of your head as you drifted in the space between waking and sleeping, both of you relishing the rare moments of quiet offered by a late morning. The sound of feet pattering swiftly down the hall broke the silence and Daehyun's gentle sigh stirred your hair as your bedroom door burst open.

 

"Daddy, Daddy!" your daughter cried, scrambling onto the bed.

 

"Hi, Eunmi, sweetie," he smiled, sitting up. She dove into his arms and he enveloped her in a hug, planting a kiss on her dark hair.

 

"Someone missed you while you were away," you told him with a grin, sitting up as well.

 

"It wasn't you, was it?" Daehyun asked. Eunmi giggled when you put on a mock-disgusted face.

 

"Me? Why would I miss you?" You teased. He leaned over to kiss you on the cheek then turned his attention to the laughing child in his arms.

 

"Was it you, then?" He asked, eyes wide. Eunmi nodded with a giant smile and wrapped her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly. "Well then, I guess you get all my attention today, since your mommy didn't miss me," he said as he got out of bed, your daughter still hanging onto his neck. She shrieked with laughter as he grabbed her and swung her around above his head. He tucked her under his arm and dashed out of the room, her giggles echoing through the hall.

 

You took your time getting out of bed and walking into the kitchen, hiding a smile at the chatter coming from the living room. From the sound of it, Eunmi was instructing Daehyun on how to draw something for her, and quite possibly sitting on his head and covering his eyes.

 

As you made breakfast, you listened to your daughter chattering to her father, telling him about the crafts you had done and the places you had visited while he was on tour. He listened attentively, asking her questions about everything.

 

"Alright, my loves," you called as you set three bowls on the table. “Come eat!” Daehyun carried Eunmi into the kitchen and set her in her booster chair, laughing when she dug into her food with considerable gusto. He sat down next to you, watching his daughter with a soft expression that melted your heart. Eunmi mumbled something through a mouthful of food.

 

“Wait until you swallow, sweetie,” he chuckled.

 

“She’s her father’s daughter, alright,” you murmured, nudging your husband with a grin.

 

“Daddy, after we eat, can we play outside?” Eunmi asked.

 

“I’d love to, honey,” Daehyun told her. She cheered, accidentally flinging rice into the air. You ducked the projectile grains, laughing. It was good to have your whole family together.

 

***

 

Daehyun closed your bedroom door, sighing tiredly. Eunmi had kept him on his feet all day, with barely any time to talk to you, and he had just gotten her to go to sleep. You smiled as you sat on the edge of the bed, brushing your hair. “She wore you out pretty well, huh?”

 

He nodded, sinking down next to you. “She’s a firecracker, like her mom,” he said, leaning over to kiss the corner of your mouth when you smiled. He reached out to wrap his arms around your waist, tugging you into his lap. You giggled when he buried his face in your neck, kissing it gently. You relaxed, eyes closing, as his fingers traced gentle circles on your back and you sighed softly as his lips trailed along your jaw.

 

“Daehyun,” you murmured quietly.

 

“Mm?” he mumbled, pausing to look at you.

 

“I have something I want to tell you. I’ve been wanting to tell you this all day, but you were busy with Eunmi,” you began with a nervous smile.

 

“Oh? Big news?” he asked.

 

You took his hand. “I’ve actually known for a while now, but you were on tour, and I wanted to tell you this in person.”

 

He cocked his head curiously, waiting for you to continue.

 

You took a deep breath, then beamed at him. “I’m pregnant again.”

 

Daehyun looked stunned for a moment before a broad smile broke out across his face. “Really?” he asked, hand going to your stomach. You covered his with yours as you nodded happily.

 

You made a small noise of surprise when Daehyun scooped you up and spun you around, laughing joyfully. He set you down again, kissing the happy tears on your cheeks, and trying not to cry, himself.

 

That night as you drifted off, curled in Daehyun’s arms, you felt him gently place his hand on your stomach and the child growing there. You smiled as he pulled you closer in his sleep, nestled against the curve of your back.