2/3

The Forest Demon

 {>} Moonlight - Yiruma


That night, Jongin was sleeping on a huge branch of a tree.

He smiled.

He was dreaming of Kyungsoo.

He was dreaming of him and Kyungsoo playing in the forest. They were running, smile plastered on their faces. Maybe they were playing the tag game and Jongin was the one chasing Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo turned his head towards Jongin before laughing.

“You’re so slow Jongin. You can’t catch me.” He said before laughing. This made Jongin laugh.

“Oh no, you’re wrong Kyungsoo.” He said before using his speed to catch Kyungsoo. When Kyungsoo turned his head to the front, he bumped into someone. He fell on the floor, first. He looked up and smiled after seeing that it was only Jongin, smiling at him.

Jongin hovered over him, placing his arms on Kyungsoo’s side. He slowly leaned in while Kyungsoo was leaning back until his back met the soft grass. Jongin thought how beautiful Kyungsoo was. His long eyelashes, his round eyes, his flushed cheeks and his heart shaped lips. Everything about Kyungsoo is so beautiful that his beating heart can’t take it anymore.

Jongin leaned in and kissed Kyungsoo’s lips. The kiss was so sweet and gentle that they felt nothing but love.

Jongin felt nothing but love.

Kyungsoo’s hands found their way on Jongin’s hair, his fingers entangled with Jongin’s soft locks.

These are the moments that Jongin doesn’t want to end. He loves Kyungsoo’s body against his arms, and his lips on his.

These are the moments that Jongin feels how to love and how to be loved.

Jongin opened his eyes, his smile turning to frown.  The scene had changed.

Kyungsoo was nowhere to be found.

He was now in the village where he wasn’t supposed to be. Jongin scanned his surroundings and he felt like something is wrong. He turned around and saw that the forest was behind him. He turned again to look at the houses of the village.

It was all destroyed.

All Jongin can see were ashes and smoke but the fire was nowhere to be found. He slowly walked, his feet crushing the ashes more on the ground.

“Kyungsoo?” Jongin tried to call. His guards were up. No one should see him. He doesn’t want to scare them.

Jongin stopped on his tracks when he smelled something so strong. It was a smell of blood…and burned flesh. He turned to look to his left only to gasp, his heart jumping into his throat, when he saw Kyungsoo’s lifeless body on one of the houses, his eyes and mouth wide as if he was shock.

Jongin’s eyes widened. He clasped his hand onto his mouth to stop himself from screaming.

There is blood everywhere around Kyungsoo. Jongin noticed that there are two lifeless bodies beside Kyungsoo. Jongin recognized them as Kyungsoo’s father and mother. He immediately recognized his father because he was a great hunter and he always sees him hunting in the forest.

Jongin shook his head.

No.

“N-No…no K-Kyungsoo…” he muttered while shaking his head, tears falling on his cheeks.

“NO!”

Jongin jolted up that caused him to fall from the branch of the tree. He fell on the ground with a loud thud, his left side hitting the ground first. He layed on his back and stood up, face scrunching from the pain. He leaned onto the tree he was sleeping before and closed his eyes. He was panting and sweating so much.

That’s only a nightmare.

He opened his eyes and it widened after he realized something.

This was the first in his whole life that he had dreamed.

Creatures like him do not dream. Only humans do. He never dreamed before, not even once.

Jongin grinned at the realization.

I…dreamed?

“I really dreamed did I?” he muttered into himself.

So I’m still human after all. He thought with a childish grin on his face. This is something new and he thought that maybe he’s progressing into changing into something…something that he wants to be ever since he became a kid.

A human.

He shook his head after that.

That’s impossible. I’m a half breed. I can’t turn into a full human.

He sighed.

He scanned his surroundings after that and recalled the dream he just had. He smiled at it.

It was so sweet and it seems so real that he wished that it didn’t end but sadly it did. Then, he remembered the last scene where he saw Kyungsoo’s lifeless body.

He looked down and closed his eyes.

It’s only a dream Jongin. A dream. Forget about that scene and focus on Kyungsoo. He repeated this again and again until he smelled of something…

…something burning.

He immediately looked up and scanned his surroundings. As usual, it is dark and quiet but he smells something burning. His senses became alert and he’s feeling that something wrong is happening. He immediately ran towards the forest…up to the river that divides the dark part of the forest into the safer one. He sighed.

He can’t cross the river without getting hurt.

There’s an invisible boundary in this river that only humans and powerful demons can cross into. He’s still not that skilled to be able to cross this boundary.

“What should I do? I think there’s something happening there.” He mumbled to himself.

He glanced at the other side of the forest and noticed how dark it was…but nothing is darker than the other side of it. The other side gives a peaceful feeling while the other side will make you feel scared like something wild and scary will jump out at you anytime if you walk on it in the middle of the night.

Jongin had never been to the other side without his father.

Just then…he smelled something burning again and now, it became stronger.

Jongin immediately jumped into one of the branches of the tree near him and he went higher and higher…

He can feel that it’s coming from the village.

When he was already at the highest branch, his eyes widened.

There’s a very thick smoke and he can see the houses burning. His mind completely had completely shut down and there’s only one thing that came into his mind.

Kyungsoo.

He must save Kyungsoo.

He immediately jumped down from the tree but still gracefully and ran, forgetting about the invisible shield on the river.

He immediately flew and was thrown to the other side of the forest and he landed with a loud thud. Jongin looked up and heaved a huge sigh.

This is not good. I can’t pass through that shield.

He stood up and tried once again…and he failed. He tried and tried until his eyes cried its frustrated tears. He was so damped and wet right now and the shield managed to form bruises and wounds into Jongin’s body.

He crouched down and panted after a few times of trying. He ruffled his hair and screamed.

What if Kyungsoo’s in danger right now? What if he needs help? What if…

Then Jongin remembered the dream he had earlier and his eyes widened.

What if that dream is not a dream but a vision?

He immediately went down into his knees and clasped his hands together.

“Please! If any spirits on the other side of the forest is listening to me please! Please! Let me pass through this! I need to save someone and I’m afraid I might be too late! I can’t let him suffer or worst…die.” Jongin begged, tears rolling down on his cheeks while whispering the last word.

This is the first he ever felt like this. Aside from happiness, anger and loneliness, he never felt this emotion. He never felt the urge to protect someone like this that it makes him feel so sad. He has never been in so much pain like this before.

So he’s going to take and do everything just to protect that someone and make this painful feeling go away.

“Please…please…please hear me out. Please, I need to save him, please…” he begged, his body bending forward, still crying.

After a few seconds, he looked up and saw a white light at the other side of the forest. He took this as a sign and slowly stood up. It was floating in the air, urging Jongin to follow it.

He started walking towards the light, following it. When his feet met the cold water, he sighed, feeling its flow that makes him so calm. He took another step and followed the light mindlessly.

He didn’t notice that he already crossed the river until the white light disappeared. He turned around and saw the dark part of the forest.

So that’s how it looks like from here. No wonder people are scared to go there.

He sighed but turned to smile.

He has finally crossed. This is the first time.

He smiled and bowed.

“Thank you, whoever you are. Thank you so much.” He said and turned to run as fast as he can towards the village.

“Why did you let him pass?” the white spirit said to another.

The other spirit smiled. “He’s nice. He seems so desperate and he needs to protect someone.”

The other spirit frowned. “But Sulli! The goddess said that we shouldn’t trust those demons no matter what. If they can’t pass the shield, then let them be on the other side! What if he’s not really going to protect someone, but instead, he’s going to harm them?”

Sulli turned to her friend and smiled. “Krystal, he’s sincere. I saw him looking at that boy here…” she said and pointed to the river. “That boy always goes here to play, take a bath or hunt and I always see that demon watch him from behind that tree…” she said and pointed to the tree where Jongin always hides, “…with a smile on his face.”

“But still…”

“I saw it Krystal. I saw his heart. It was dark just like the other demons but…” she said and turned to smile, “…it’s now slowing turning to melt. I guess he’s now slowly changing.” She said.

Krystal, the other white spirit, sighed and nodded.

“If you say so. I just hope that you won’t regret this.”

“I’m definitely sure Krystal. I won’t regret this.”

Jongin ran as fast as he can towards the village and as he gets nearer, the burning smell grows bigger and bigger and it makes his head dizzy.

It’s not like he’s not used to fire but the thought of Kyungsoo there makes his heart clench in pain.

When he reached the end of the forest, he stopped and placed his hands on his knees, panting. Then, he looked up and his eyes widened.

The village was on fire. He can see some of the villagers trying to stop the fire by pouring pails of water in their houses but to no avail. The fire now was so huge that Jongin thinks that it can’t be stopped. The villagers were screaming and asking for help. Some are running and some are trying to save the things that they can.

This is not the first he saw a huge fire like this and he knows who did this.

Only his father and his men can do this.

Demons can create such huge fires because they live in hell.

This village looks like the second hell right now.

Jongin shook his head.

His father went overboard. This is not good anymore.

His thoughts about his father creating this mess were right when he saw dark shadows lurking in the village.

They’re probably trapping those villagers’ fears right now.

Jongin shook his head. “No…” he turned to run towards the village only to be stopped by a hand that pulled him. He fell on the ground because of the force when that hand threw him. He fell with a groan.

He looked up and his eyes widened when he saw who it was.

“Brother…”

Taemin looked at him, sadness in his eyes, his left eye turned into color red.

“Jongin…”

“Brother! What did father do? Why did the village turned like this?” he said while standing. He was about to run again but Taemin stopped him.

“No Jongin, don’t go there.”

“Why did father do this?! Those villagers were just living in peace!” he screamed. “I have to save Kyungsoo! What if something happened to him? What if he got locked inside his house and it was burning?! I need to save him!” he continued, desperation can be seen from his eyes and it made Taemin’s heart clench in pain.

Taemin turned to hug his brother who’s now squirming to escape from his grip.

“Brother let me go!”

“Jongin please just calm down.”

This made Jongin stop. He turned to look at his brother and scoffed. “Calm down? You’re telling me to calm down now even though something might happen to Kyungsoo?! Look at this mess Taemin! I need to make sure he’s safe!” he said and was about to run again…

“I’m sorry Jongin.” Taemin said.

Jongin turned around and looked at his brother with a confused look.

“I’m sorry that I went with father and did this.”

Jongin’s eyes widened. “Y-You…you’re involved in this?” he asked, shock written on his face and his eyes widened even more when Taemin nodded his head.

“All of those people were killing other demons without them knowing it. They always hunt to our side of the forest and father wants to take his revenge because most of his men died.”

Jongin blinked.

“Father decided to burn this village. He was so mad at them…”

“They didn’t know it was the demons! You said it yourself! Why would you such thing like this?!” Jongin screamed. “You had put Kyungsoo in this dangerous situation! You had put the innocent in this situation! Are you out of your mind?! Just for those demons who did nothing but to scare innocent people?!”

Taemin hung his head low. “It was the only way we can survive…”

“I know! That’s why I hate this!” after saying this, Jongin screamed. He panted before running a frustrated hand through his hair.

“Jongin, you know I can’t say no to father’s orders. I am going to be the replace him in his position and…”

“I’m going to save Kyungsoo. You’re not going to stop me.” Jongin said, not letting his brother finish his sentence.

“No need.” Taemin said and looked at Jongin who’s now panting so hard. “I already saved him. I know he’s so important to you that’s why I didn’t let him see this. I know how much you like those humans…and this is the least I can do. I’m sorry Jongin…I don’t have a choice.”

Jongin blinked at what Taemin said and started calming down. “Where is he?” he whispered.

“He’s there, at that part of the forest. I bet he’s still sleeping right now.” Taemin said while pointing towards the right side of the forest. Jongin didn’t waste any time and ran towards there as fast as he can.

Taemin looked at his brother’s retreating figure before sighing and turning his attention towards the hell they made.

Jongin stopped running and panted when he arrived to where Taemin said Kyungsoo was. He scanned the forest and sharpened his senses. He heard a little snore on his left and he followed it. His face softened when he saw Kyungsoo on the ground, sleeping quietly with his left arm as his pillow.

Jongin noticed how peaceful Kyungsoo’s face was when he sleeps and he can’t help but smile at this. Kyungsoo really looks like an angel that makes his heart flutter wildly like this.

An angel made for a demon like him.

He crouched down and just stared at Kyungsoo’s face for a few seconds before caressing his soft cheeks. He now grew up but he’s still the same. Same eyes, same cheeks…it’s like he hasn’t changed a bit. He’s still the kid Jongin used to watch at the river.

“Thank God you’re safe Kyungsoo…” Jongin whispered with a smile on his face. I thought something bad happened to you. I won’t ever forgive myself if something happens to you.

Kyungsoo’s nose crinkled and Jongin’s heart stopped beating for a second. He let out a sigh when he realized that Kyungsoo’s still asleep.

He sat there, crossing his legs while staring at Kyungsoo’s sleeping figure.

“I never thought I would see you this close.” Jongin muttered and smiled. “You’re more beautiful up close. You never fail to make me feel something like this.” He whispered, placing his hand on his chest. He felt his heart speed up while just staring at Kyungsoo’s beautiful face.

He brought his knees up to his chest before hugging his legs and resting his head on top of it, his gaze never leaving Kyungsoo.

Jongin noticed how Kyungsoo’s cheek has a light shade of pink on it. He smiled. It was beautiful.

“I hope you’re dreaming of me.” He whispered and leaned in to Kyungsoo.

He hesitated at first because he thinks that it might wake Kyungsoo up but still he leaned in and left a kiss on Kyungsoo’s cheek. Jongin’s heart fluttered even more and he can’t stop smiling.

This is the first time he did this and the feeling was…amazing.

Jongin wished that this moment would never end but his wish didn’t come true when Kyungsoo suddenly stirred in his sleep before slowly opening his eyes.

Jongin’s eyes widened and he stood up immediately. He saw Kyungsoo’s eyes wide open before stretching.

Kyungsoo looked up and saw…nothing.

He sat up and found himself in the forest. He scanned his surrounding and looked at the ground. Did I just sleep here? He thought. He tried to remember what happened and how he ended up here but he can’t remember. All he knows is that he was still sleeping in his room before so how did he end up here?

He stood up and looked at his surroundings. The forest is so dark at night but it gives you a very calming feeling. The trees are huge and tall but it doesn’t scare him.

He sighed and rubbed his nape before walking towards the village.

He walked and walked and he gets nearer, he can smell something burning. His senses immediately became alert and his feet immediately ran, dragging him towards the village. When he arrived, his eyes widened.

The fire was out but it left a very huge damage. All the houses were burned down, nothing was left. The families were crying while hugging their family members who survived while some of them kept on screaming their family member’s name who didn’t manage to get out of the fire. Kyungsoo’s mouth opened before clasping his hand on it. His heart clenched in pain at the sight of his village.

He started walking, careful with each step. He took glances of the houses only to look away after seeing dead and burned bodies.

Then, a thought made his heart race in panic.

His parents.

He quickly ran towards his house only to gasp when he saw its condition.

It was burned…only some of the woods were left.

All of his books turned into ashes…their furniture…and even his parents.

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened and a tear escaped from it.

His parents…

Kyungsoo walked in towards their burned house, tears flowing nonstop, his eyes still wide.

There…he carefully approached two bodies in the kitchen that he assumes were his mother and father. He crouched down and confirmed it. It was really his parents.

He now cried loudly, hugging his mother’s body who now smells like smoke and rotten flesh but he doesn’t care. His heart clenched in pain. He hugged his mother’s body tighter, crying and crying while looking at his father’s body. Kyungsoo noticed that his father’s eyes were wide opened as if someone shocked him before he died and this made him cry even more.

“Umma! Appa!” Kyungsoo screamed.

He layed his mother’s body carefully before approaching his father’s body. He placed a palm on his father’s forehead and cried.

“Appa…” he cried. “Who did this…”

He cried and cried, his heart feeling pain. Whoever did this must die too… If I found out who were those heartless bastards are…I’ll definitely kill them.

After a few seconds of crying, Kyungsoo felt a presence behind him. He quickly turned around and saw someone that made him gasp.

It was a handsome tall man who has a jet black hair. His right side face was totally handsome and its left side face is the opposite. It has cracks and its eye is bloody red. Kyungsoo felt fear shot through his system and it made the man shiver in pleasure.

Kyungsoo remembers this creature. His father told him about them.

“There are good spirits in the forest Kyungsoo and there are demons too. Those good spirits look like angels while the demons look like dark shadows. The pure demons are pure shadows while the half breeds—the result of an incubus and a human – only has their half part that looks like a demon. So I’m telling this to you Kyungsoo, they’re dangerous. They might hurt you so don’t come deeper in the forest.”

Kyungsoo gulped.

The man just continued staring at him.

He inhaled and exhaled first before shouting at the man, “Who are you?! Are you the one who did this?!”

The man just stared at him before bowing his head.

“I’m sorry.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened before scoffing.

“So you’re the one, huh? You’re the one who did this to our village and now you’re saying sorry?! Sorry?!” he said, now standing up. The man continued to look on the floor before turning into a shadow, flying in the air.

Kyungsoo ran and followed the shadow. It flew towards the deeper part of the forest and Kyungsoo stopped at the river. He glared at the other part of the forest where the shadow flew off. He took the courage to walk towards the river and cross it.

“Krystal no!” Sulli stopped the white spirit. “He’ll be okay.”

“There are demons out there and he’s innocent!” Krystal freaked out. Sulli gave her a small smile. “We should not interfere. And besides, I know that someone’s going to protect him there.” She said as they hide behind a huge tree while watching Kyungsoo’s figure walking in the river, his clothes getting wet in the process.

After crossing, Kyungsoo made it. He looked back before turning his head towards the dark forest. Unlike the other side, this part have him chills and fear. It looks so scary as if the darkness will swallow him whole anytime.

He let out a sigh and continued walking through the dark part of the forest. He stopped when he saw the man on one of the trees, sitting on a branch, his legs hanging while his eyes were looking sadly at him. Kyungsoo felt his blood boil. This is the demon that killed his parents. There is no way he’s just going to let this pass, demon or not.

He quickly ran towards that tree.

“You! Come down here! What did you do to our village? To my parents? WHY DID YOU KILL THEM YOU HEARTLESS MONSTER!” he screamed and it seem like the monster was taken aback by his words. He looked like he was hurt and Kyungsoo noticed this that made him smirk.

Jongin gasped when he heard what Kyungsoo said. He was now hiding in one of the trees, listening at Kyungsoo while he’s screaming at the demon on that tree.

It was no other than his brother, Taemin.

When Kyungsoo woke up earlier, he quickly ran out of his sight because he was afraid that Kyungsoo might get scared of his appearance. He followed him through the village, hiding. He gasped and his heart dropped when he saw Kyungsoo mourning at his parents’ bodies. His heart clenched in pain and it made him want to hug and comfort Kyungsoo but he can’t. His body shook in anger. Whoever made Kyungsoo so sad and pain like this must pay.

When he was about to go back to the forest and confront the demons, he stopped. He turned around again and saw Kyungsoo talking to Taemin. His heart sank. He can’t believe that his brother was involved in this.

He followed them afterwards.

Jongin knows how much it hurts Taemin when he was labeled like that because it is not true.

They are maybe demons but still…they still have that part that was human.

Jongin gulped. He has no choice but to hide for now.

“YOU DEMON! WHY?!” Kyungsoo screamed and he fell on his knees and his palms hit the ground. His head was hung low and his eyes can’t stop the tears from rolling down on his cheeks. He feels so much pain right now and it hurts. It hurts so much.

“WHY?!” he screamed once again.

Taemin gulped and stopped the tears from escaping his eyes. He feels sorry but…he can’t disobey his father. It’s the rule if you’re going to be the next king. The position will be so much of a burden and he can’t let Jongin, his younger brother, feel that. He’s the eldest, so he’s going to sacrifice.

Jongin is not the only half brother he has. He also has half brothers and sisters somewhere but Jongin was the one that became close to him. He was the only one that he treated like a real brother. He’s the only one he loved and cherished so he won’t let him have the position of their father because he doesn’t want him to feel burdened at such a young age. He’s supposed to live free and be happy.

He doesn’t want Jongin to feel all of this. The training…the rules…no. Taemin isn’t going to allow that.

So, he held his head up high and spoke, “Your father is the greatest hunter in your village meaning he’s the leader. They killed so many of our kind and it made my father’s army alert. We went to your village to take our revenge…”

Kyungsoo panted heavily and looked up at him. “They just kill animals, not your kind…”

Taemin shook his head. “Demons can be shape shifters. They turn into animals to patrol our kingdom and humans come and ruin that. They kill our men not knowing that they are demons…”

“THEY DON’T KNOW THAT THING SO WHY DID YOU STILL KILL THEM?!” Kyungsoo now stood up. “They didn’t know that they were your men! They…” Kyungsoo breathed heavily. “It’s for our living. You should’ve warned us. Not like this…no. We do this to survive…”

“Then I’ll take that.” Taemin said. “I’m going to copy your reason. We also did that to survive. We’re heartless monsters after all.” He continued with pain obviously in his voice.

“I’m going now. I’m sorry.” He said and turned into a shadow before disappearing.

Kyungsoo scoffed and screamed, letting out all of his frustrations.

He panted and screamed again, letting tears blur his vision. He feels so much pain right now that he doesn’t know what to do. He turned his gaze on a tree and punched it while screaming. He felt pain in his knuckles but the pain in his heart is more than that. His parents are now gone and his village is suffering. This is the first time in his life that he felt something painful like this. He never felt anger, except when Jongdae stole his favorite book, or when Jongdae tripped him just for fun but not like this. He would rather let Jongdae steal all of his books and trip him as much as he wants…but not like this.

“YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS! YOU DEMONS! I HATE ALL OF YOU! THEY’RE INNOCENT! THEY DIDN’T KNOW THAT! OH GOD…I HATE YOU ALL!!” he said and let out a painful scream after.

Jongin let his tears fall from his eyes when he saw Kyungsoo’s state. He so badly wants to comfort the man now but he’s scared…scared that Kyungsoo might fear him. Creatures like him were the one who did this to Kyungsoo and it hurts him even more…knowing that he can’t do anything.

He placed his hand on his chest and left to the village because he can’t take this sight of broken Kyungsoo anymore, knowing that he can’t do anything to ease the pain except for blaming himself.

Fire…

Smoke…

Ashes…

Everything around him was a mess. The house was burned by fire. It every part of the house, leaving nothing but the ashes and some pieces of half burned woods. There were dry bloods on those woods which he assumed from the people who previously lived in here.

Jongin scanned the room. His eyes landed on something. He crouched down when he saw a white mask and grabbed it. The fire also the half part of the mask’s face, its edges falling as it turned into ashes.

Jongin kept it and held it into his chest, sadness and regret creeping into his heart.

He started crying. He remembered the angry face of the love of his life, with his eyes red and puffy from crying while his mouth spilled angry daggers that dug Jongin’s heart painfully.

It’s their entire fault, my love. I’m so sorry. I should’ve saved them.

Jongin continued crying, his pale skin glistening through the moonlight, his left eye turning red.

I’m sorry Kyungsoo.

A/N: I decided to make this into threeshot. I'm sorry if it's a bit late >_<

Please please pretty pretty please tell me what you think :D

-rhedvelvet