Chapter 1: Humanity

Elemental Rust

"Why would you want to destroy humanity?”  Xiumin implored.

His bright brown eyes traced the sharp planes of Chen’s face in an attempt to divine his secrets. Plucking meaning from Chen's bored expression, his gaze deflected to the hazy skyline. Then, it pummeled to the cityscape, almost dejectedly. A thousand thoughts danced across his eyes dimming their light with each touch.  

“Why save it?” Chen shrugged.

He traced Xiumin’s line of sight: skyscrapers, automobiles, transit lines broke the horizon. These objects were the symbols of humanity's greatest accomplishments and humanity's greatest pratfalls. Advancement and destruction in one package.

 

Humans were so flawed, Chen reflected, so doomed to destroy themselves. Armed with weaponry and technology, they bled into the Earth that they smothered with concrete and tar.

 

There was a tiny sigh from his left. Chen tilted his head to watch a small look of horror pounce across Xiumin face before flattening out into . . . Pity?  No, something softer. If Chen hadn't know better he would have called it sympathy. Then, Xiumin's round face was passive and inexpressive.

 

Xiumin always had be in control of himself, Chen remarked in his head. So proper his hyung was. Calculating out the best response to Chen’s words.

 

Maybe composure was gained with age.  

 

“Chen. . .” he began, softly, shifting to an calmer tone, “there’s no reason to destroy them either.”

 

“That’s true,” he relaxed, allowing his body to hit the brush and shrubbery of the mountainside, “They’ll end up killing themselves anyway.”

 

It wasn’t hard to imagine. Humans stuffed full of paper and coins, unwilling to spare a cent to the starving, homeless, ill. Humans soaked in the blood of those who dared to believe differently. Humans wrapped in advancement, depriving others of like. It wasn’t too farfetched for them to fade out of existence. No, he could definitely envision humans driving themselves to extinction.  

 

All he had to do was wait and his job would be done. There wasn’t a need for a god of destruction in the modern world. He was here by default or maybe that was Xiumin, the god of creation. There was always the possibility that both of them were there by default.

 

Humans, even as they advanced, had difficulties imagining a world where there wasn’t some entity out to get them or some entity out to protect them; they were an egotistical bunch.

 

They were too advance to believe in the voodoo of the deities and spirits, but too cautious to give up on them entirely.


A/N: The Chapters are this should be longer. I hoped you liked this. The next update should be next Sunday, if all goes well.