Darkness

Never let you go

A.N: Hey guys im back again :) Going to complete Full Moon (the ChenxOC one) soon this weekend :) And writer's gave me a prompt to write about how the world is being described to blind people so my imagination came up with this :) Hope you guys like it ^-^ Please subscribe if you like :D And comment and review I would be really really glad to see some feedback on my writing :) Yea and purposely did it for Tao, cos today's his bday (HAPPY BDAY TAO :D) and because i'm touched by how he learnt sign language for his good friend... So people if Tao can do it, so can you! :) Spread the love around in the world <3 Okay no more talk here's the story~

 

Tao POV

 

I woke up to a sea of darkness. Nothing but pure, undulating black. Not even varying shades of black and grey, just a single monotonous, inky black colour. The black on the darkest of all nights, when the moon hid away and the stars withdrew along with it.

The texture of the bedsheets told me I was in the hospital. Other than that, I could gather no information whatsoever on my location, or what had even happened.

Waves of panic surged through me, lending new strength to my frail limbs, as I struggled to push myself into an upright position. Why couldn’t I see? What had happened to me?

It all came back to me there and then. A speeding blue sports car, hurtling towards me, like a rabid dog let off its leash, tyres gripping the black asphalt with its claw-like vice, propelling it forward at an impossible speed. The alarm I felt when I looked straight into the eyes of the drunk driver, sending adrenaline racing through my body as quickly as it could, to get me out of the danger zone. Stupidly, legs stuck to the ground, I stood there, unblinking, as my doom approached.

A great force struck me as I closed my eyes in preparation for the final journey to come, as the cacophony of tyres screeching hit my ears like a thunderclap. In the haziness that followed, my life flashed through my eyes. I remember being amused about how accurate the books depicted the near-death experiences. Then, darkness. Flashes of consciousness, with a doctor’s voice, an absolute tone of finality.

‘He will never see again.’

The world I knew and believed in crashed down, smashed o smithereens by the harsh reality of my predicament. I would never be able to see colours again, the vibrant hues of the universe, that never failed to amaze me with their gamut of shades and tones, adding delicate touches of warmth and kindness to this dreary world. What about Jae-Eun? I would miss her angelic smile, those soulful puppy eyes, every aspect of the little girl that I loved and cared for, appearing stoic and independent on the outside, but soft and fuzzy on the inside. I wouldn’t be able to take care of her properly; instead I would be a burden to her, this blind useless guy weighing her down…

My senses, surprisingly, were already sharpened, faint scratches and metallic echoes from the open window alerting me to the presence of a bird outside. The wind felt fresh and cool on my skin, a welcome change from the heavy blankets that smothered me. Yet I was unable to enjoy all these simple pleasures of life, heart downcast and overshadowed by the enormity of the situation I faced, the possibility of living without her. In my heart, I had already chosen to let her go.

Jerking me out of my depressive train of thoughts, the door of the ward opened, creaking slightly on its hinges. I cocked my head to one side, much like an uncomprehending young puppy, listening to the familiar footsteps patter through the door, along with a pair of heavy ones.

With slight pressure applied on my forehead, suddenly, a thick layer of gauze was taken away from my eyes, revealing sunlight once more. Shocked by this unexpected turn of events, I lightly traced my finger along my eyes, gently touching newly stitched surgical scars with amazement. There stood Suho hyung beaming, yet somehow there was something off about that smile knew so well. The doctor held a thick layer of white cloth in his hand, dotted with specks of blood.

‘But hyung, what happened? I thought the doctor said that I wouldn’t be able to see again…’

In that instant, his smile vanished behind a mask I knew all too well, expertly locking his feelings from me, hiding them behind a locked door, out of my reach. His words were short and blunt.

‘You’ll see.’

He lifted me gently onto a wheelchair; in my weakened state, I couldn’t walk properly yet. Pushing me tirelessly through the endless aisles and turns, I began to feel trapped and lost, an ant in this huge maze. This paled in comparison to the burning question in my mind: Who had donated their corneas to me?