Survey Corps

Attack on Titan : Seventeen x Tlist Version

 

The two squad leaders are now sitting on the big branch of an old oak tree. The girl’s resting her back on his chest while he plays with her uneven cut hair. They've placed their 3D Gear Maneuver aside when it was actually against the absolute rule for soldiers. But hey, these two kids are one of the best soldiers the nation had ever known. Besides, it’s not like the titans could attack them. There’s no sun, it’s past midnight. So why not let your body to rest a bit from the heavy equipments?

Silence. Other soldiers are already fast asleep on the other branches with their bodies tightened on it, avoiding the risk to fall down. It was a quiet night and the atmosphere was not that chilled. Yet, gloomy and sadness is all you can feel.

“Seungcheol,” the girl called. Her cheek was cut deeply and she got a lot of bruises from the combat earlier but that was not the source of her pain right now. It was her heart that’s aching, not her body. “why can’t I be a good leader?”

“What are you talking about. You’re the best leader the Corps could ever get. Don’t ask such stupid question” Seungcheol said. His tone is always tensed and he always tend to not talk that much, even to his lover. He’s the type of guy that tend to keep all in him unless it’s really necessary to speak. But you shall never question his leadership. His quiet image is actually one of the special charisma he has as one of the squad leaders.

“My squad is out. All of them are wiped out” she said, shakily “if I didn’t give the order to split the formation, they’ll all be alive by now. It’s all my fault. I’m the one that sent them to their own death”

Seungcheol stared at his girl from behind her shoulder. Her eyes were still blank as fragments of memory plays on her head. How her members were swallowed down by the Titans. How each of them got killed right before her eyes. She herself almost lost her life too. If only Seungcheol’s squad didn’t come and help her out when she was already trapped in the Titans’ hand, she must be just another name on the deceased list by now.

“I’d rather got killed with my comrades than to live in guilt like this”

The boy stopped playing with her hair and let out a sigh, “If you really regret it, then you should just take this as a lesson and move on. Don’t do the same mistake on the next mission. If you really feel guilty for your squad’s lives, then you shall do better on battling the Titans later on and avenge their anger on them. Kill them all. There’s no point in regretting everything now. You must move on. You’re the leader of the left squad. You should not show your weakness like this”

She reminds quiet. His words feel like blades, slicing her heart even worse. Well what are you suppose to feel when you are literally the only person left in the squad and you were the leader, for God’s sake! How can you not feel guilty when your command actually led them to their death?

“Do you even have a slight hint of humanity in your heart, Choi Seungcheol” she said weakly. She was hurt, she really was. But she can’t deny the fact that what Seungcheol’s saying is true. She shouldn’t cry and become vulnerable like this. She should avenge her comrades. She shall plan for the attack later. She shall become stronger because of this. Not the contrary.

Seungcheol could only let out a crisp laughter and stood up from his seat. He look around the forest and stopped in one particular tree. A boy was sleeping soundfuly on one of its top branches. It was quite some distance from their tree, but he still scans the younger boy from afar.

Memory from about 10 years ago, back when they were still in their home district, plays in his head. The two of them were just little kids by then. They didn’t understand the battlefield they’ve entered the moment they were born to this world. At least, not yet. It was the best moment of his life. And boy, how much he wish he could just replay and stay at that stage of life. Living in peace even when they don’t have that much. It was just him, their grandma, and his younger brother, Hansol.

But their world all changed as some rebels break in their house. They took everything with violence that it costs the life of their grandma. Seungcheol and Hansol were too young to fight those men. The men were equipped with axe and blades, anyway. So even if they did attempt to fight, there would be no chance of winning unless that one magic word steps in the situation, luck.

Although, the death of their grandma wasn’t the only reason on why Seungcheol becomes all soldier hearted man. It was mainly because of Hansol. You see, after the death of their grandma, the two of them lived in a very bad condition. They literally live on the street and eat only from the ones who pitied them and’ll throw their food away. And to add up their struggle, let's shall not forget how hard it was for them to survive when food is actually a very valuable thing in that crisis time.

The struggle lasted until Hansol entered the army training in secret without telling his older brother. Seungcheol was furious yet scared at the same time. He knows that his little brother has those special talents for combats so he will make it to the army. So in the end, Seungcheol got no other choice but to also enter the army.

When they graduated, Seungcheol thought the idea of Hansol putting his life at risk is finally over, yet it was actually the start of the real nightmare. Hansol, once again, applied for another form of military without telling Seungcheol. The moment when Seungcheol knew Hansol was going, it was too late already to join so he needed to wait for the next year to join the special army, known as the Survey Corps.

For each time the Survey Corps need to do their mission outside the wall, Seungcheol would always worried sick about how Hansol’s doing. He knows his brother is a good soldier, but he’s young and he could really use some other training to can finally call him the real deal. But thankfully, by the time Seungcheol graduated the Survey Corps training, Hansol was still alive and the two of them then united again in Survey Corps.

Having the 2 bad experiences on how Hansol kinda decide whatever suits his boat in the past, Seungcheol then realize that there's no other way but to really supervise his brother so that he won't slip off again. This idea then made Seungcheol showed his real leadership trait in the Survey Corps which then lead him to be one of the squad leaders. By this position, even if Hansol is not in his squad, he can still control and see how he's doing in the field.

Pulling back to the present time, the girl now stood up and stare at the direction Seungcheol was staring at. She smiled a little from the figure of Hansol looking deep drowned in his slumber. But the expression Seungcheol showing was far from what normal people would make to see a boy sleeping soundfuly. He was tensed and his eyes were hawk-like, almost like he was really hating the younger boy. The idea he had always make the people think of.

"You should cut that act, you know" she said.

Seungcheol didn't move his face but he questioned, "What act?"

"You know, the act where you want everyone to think that you hate your younger brother. You just want to protect him, I know it. You don't need to keep that act when I'm around. I know you like I know myself. Even better, perhaps" she said and hugged him from behind. It wasn’t one of those clingy hug, it was an assurance hug. The hug was actually everything the boy needed right now. He needed an assurance. Cause even though he’s the best leader the Survey Corps could ever known, as in seriously, he’s still a human that has insecurities.

“I just don’t want him to run away from me again” he said weakly “I know I’ve never been a good brother, but he’s the only family I have left. I don’t want to lost him”

“But you’re being too pushy and protected over him” she said and stared at him right on the face “Hansol is not the weak 6 years old boy anymore, Seungcheol. He’s a soldier now. He’s strong. He can handle things on his own. You can’t always try to control his life. You have your own life to think about. I mean, I’m not saying that you’re-”

“We’ve talked about this before, okay" Seungcheol turned, facing away. "Why can't you just appreciate what we have now and not fuss about what to do later on? What do we have now is what do we think about. The future is nothing to be worried about"

"I'm not talking about us, I don't care what would you do for us later on. You can end everything now if you want. I'm talking about you. I'm worried about yourself, not us" the girl said, feeling quite upset. Honestly she was hurt by her own words when she said that she didn't care about their future. It was all a lie. But she doesn't want to make it seem too egoistic by telling Seungcheol to be a little careless to his own brother to focus on their relationship. She understands it so well that Hansol is his only family left, but she can't help but to stress out that she also need that one thing she expects from a boyfriend, care.

She sighed and walk away from Seungcheol. She picked up her 3D Gear Maneuver and and put it back on. It was enough drama for one night. "I'll go check with Commander Youngmin for tomorrow's plan"

Seungcheol turned around as he realized the sudden change of tone on her words. She was obviously disappointed and upset. "No babe, wait, don't leave"

By the time Seungcheol finished his begs, she was already away, swinging herself further away from the tree he's at. In no time, she was out of sight. Not only because there was no light there, but also because she's one of the best soldier that could ever master the 3D Gear Maneuver.

The boy then turn back to see his younger brother. His expression changed a lot softer and he sighed to himself, arguing on what shall he really do to him in his mind. Shall he continue to curb him, or shall he relax down a bit and just trust Hansol like what his own lover advised?

 

 


 

“You alright?” one girl said as she squatted down to her boyfriend’s level. He was staring at the deceased bodies with blank eyes. He was shocked. He still can’t believe the people he just laughed and joked with yesterday morning are now nothing but lifeless body. Their bodies are now covered with white sheet and they are placed in a line, ready to be stacked on that one carriage for the deceased soldiers.

The blank boy, Jang Doyoon, took his girlfriend’s hand that was patting his shoulder and genuinely smile at her, “I’m okay”

“I’m really sorry for your comrades” she said as they stood up “It’s hard, I know it, but we need to be strong and face this”

The boy nodded and pulled her for a hug. This couple had always been known for the sweetest couple in the Survey Corps, even when they have different personality. Doyoon was the type of guy you know to always be angelic and gentle hearted, while his girl is the type of strong and logical person. Even though they have different personality, they never sees it as a trouble, yet they use this to complete each other. Fixing the others’ mistake or completing each other’s blank spots. They’re basically the model of everyone’s relationship imagination.

Doyoon patted his girlfriends’ head and sighed softly, “I know. I shouldn’t feel this way. But I can’t help it. They were like my own family and to see them breathless like this, it just- I don’t know. I can’t really express it with words”

“Well you still have me, right?” the girl said as she pulled her face and smiled to him “I might not mean that much, but you’re not alone. You still have me, and I don’t like to see you looking all weak like this. I bet your comrades don’t like it either”

Doyoon smiled and nodded to his girlfriend. This is kind of another secret this couple have to be the official cutest couple ever recorded, they don’t get offended easily. The know that the advices and suggestions other made are to make them a better person and mean no harm, so no hard feelings were ever taken from each other.

As they stare to each others eyes, Doyoon can’t help but to pull her closer to him, trying to earn a small peck on the lips. This boy had gone through too much things since yesterday, so he definitely deserve some romantic sweet kiss from his one true lover, okay.

But just when they got 7 inches closer, they quickly pulled away as they felt a big quake on their feet. They quickly look around and got welcomed by nothing but surprise as they saw their comrades running away in chaos followed by one 20-25 metres Titan chasing behind them.

“It’s an Abnormal!” a boy shouted as he tried to run away from it as fast as he could. Horror was written all over his face. The Titan was only mere meters way from him and it will surely catch him soon “Run! It’s an Abnormal Titan! It could-”

“Youngwon, noooo!!” Doyoon’s girl shouted in vain as she witnessed her own brother to be squashed down on the Titans’ feet. She tried to run to the Titan but Doyoon hold her back and pulled her away, trying to save them. They were in an open field right now, so there’s no way they could use the 3D Gear Maneuver.

“Y-Youngwon..” the girl said weakly as she stare at the bloody feet the Titan has. The Titan was abnormally fast and it doesn’t buy the distraction the squad leaders are doing. It just keep on running forward to where the supply carriage. Not sure why because Titans are not suppose to have any other interest but humans, but then again, this is an Abnormal Titan.

As more and more soldiers got killed, both from being eaten or simply squashed down, one of the soldier then shouted and ordered his comrade, “Mingyu, get on your horse and boost your 3D Gear Maneuver to its neck! Me and the others would try to distract it and cut its leg tendons. Seeing its speed, there would be no chance for use to get to the nearest forest. , the abnormals just got more and more weird these days”

“Roger that, Jisoo hyung!” the soldier then jumped to his horse and try to get closer to the Titans from behind. The speed of his horse could never overtaken the Titan, but it still got him closer to it. When the distance was good enough, he skillfully boosted his 3D Gear Maneuver to the back of the Titans’ arm and try to slice its’ nape.

But to his unluck, the Titan was moving its hand too constantly that it tossed him away.

“M-Mingyu!” a girl shouted with horror on her eyes. She was shocked to death as she witnessed him being tossed away like useless fly and was about to tear up because of it. Even Jisoo widen his eyes from the misestimated plan he had. He was always known for the best plan maker, so there should be almost 0% percent of his order to mislead. But no, the main thing that made Jisoo widen his eyes was not about that. Mingyu was one of his closest comrade and he would never forgive himself if the command he just made actually added Mingyu to one of the deceased list. Enough comrades he lost from yesterday's battle. He doesn't want to add another one today. Not Mingyu in particular.

But you shall never underestimate Mingyu's ability with the 3D Gear Maneuver because even when he was tossed away, he was fast enough to shoot his maneuver again. This time aiming for the neck, just like what Jisoo ordered in the first place “Think you’ve seen the most of me? Well think again you filthy ” Mingyu growled out loud as he jumped to it's neck and sliced the Titans’ nape, deep enough to actually kill it. The Titan fell down and created the biggest quake the soldiers had ever felt. The blood of the Titan had splashed on Mingyu’s face and it gave him the burning sensation as the blood evaporates.

Everyone stopped their run as the chaser finally got killed. Jisoo and the girl that shouted Mingyu's name were relieved that Mingyu was okay, not because of the Titan's killed. They're thankful about that, but the fact thaht Mingyu's still alive was all that mattered for them at the moment.

The other soldiers look at each other, still with that terrified look and panting breath. The casualty caused had surely make the situation worse for the whole corps. Some of the food suppliers and carriages were squashed down, even the ones that were carrying the deceased body. Everyone are still grieving about the death of their comrades from yesterday, yet more lives of the soldiers are taken away now. And not to mention how most of them are now left only with some parts of their bodies.

“Y-Youngwon..” the girl said painfully as Doyoon stopped dragging her. She stared at the exact last spot her brother was standing at and rolled out the tears she had been trying to hold in. She collapse down and continue her grief as she start to growl in pain. Her cry was so melancholy and it surely makes Doyoons’ heart aches.

He squat down and pulled her to his embrace, trying to calm her down. She was starting to kick around, not being able to process the whole thing happening and accept the fact that her own brother had been squashed down right before her eyes. Her scream got even more loud as Doyoon try to soothe her, “Shh, I’m here.. Don’t cry, I’m here”