Longing.

Summertime Sadness.

Present Day.

Hyosung played around with the cereal in her bowl using only her spoon. She sighed and glanced out into the window, leaning her face into her palm. Eunji had opened up all of the windows in the house, not wanting to waste any more money on the excess use of the air conditioner. The cool breeze flowed through her locks of hair and around her neck; causing her to drift in and out of reality.

"Unnie."

She snapped her eyes forward to focus on the woman sitting right in front of her. "Hyuna." Hyosung repositioned herself to not look so stiff and dead.

Hyuna reached out to gently touch her forearm, "Are you thinking about heading out today?"

"Well, Himchan just invited me to a party at a beach and I agreed." Hyosung groaned, "It's not like I have anything else to do anyway."

"Don't think like that! I think it's great that you're going out and meeting new people." Hyuna twirled a piece of hair around her finger.

Hyosung bit the inside of her cheek, "So you're basically calling me a loner?"

Hyuna's eyebrows shot up, "I never said that! I just think that after what happened, you going out and all is good for you."

"Sometimes, I feel like you don't even acknowledge the pain I have put up with every day." Hyosung backed out of her chair and roughly grabbed her bowl of cereal. "Do you understand what it's like to wake up every morning and to be reminded of him?"

"You act like you're the only person that had to put up with pain." Hyuna mirrored Hyosung's previous action. "The day you fell apart, this whole house fell apart with you."

Hyosung rolled her eyes, "I don't need to deal with this."

"You know what? I think you do need to deal with this." Hyuna followed Hyosung into the kitchen. "You've changed, Hyosung! You're not the same person anymore."

"That's the exact same thing you told me two years ago!" She tossed the remaining pieces of her breakfast into the sink and turned to face Hyuna, who had to be a few inches taller than she was.

But Hyosung wasn't intimidated. No, she was the total opposite of that. The Hyosung that was standing in front of her was strong yet broken. If she had met herself two years ago, she wouldn't even recognize herself. The time she had to herself had got her thinking about time she spent with Zico and the days and nights she was up missing him. Aren't all of us broken in some way?

"And you're still here, moping in the same place two years later." Hyuna crossed her arms.

"You're the one to talk. Acting like you're so perfect." She grimaced. "I've had enough of this." Hyosung pushed Hyuna aside before she could spit out another reply, and stormed out the room.

"You could at least tell me where you're going!"

"I can't stand being under this roof for another minute."

Hyosung snatched her grey hoodie off the coat hanger and swung her keys around her fingers. 'I can't live like this anymore.' She turned around to give the house one more look as if this was her last day there and stared at Luna who was leaning against the stairs.

"Don't stay out so late, okay? We worry about you, unnie." Luna gave her a reassuring smile then headed into the dining room.

Being the oldest was hard, but her roommates didn't seem to care about it that much. But for some reason, she felt like she was letting them down; by acting so temperamental and depressed. By now, it seemed like she just gave up and she kind of did. Hyuna was right; she was moping in the same place for two years. Over what? Over a guy? When you make it seem like that, it sounded stupid. For Hyosung, he was something more. He brightened up her world and it was like she could finally see clearly.

"Don't worry, I won't." She whispered back, knowing that nobody would hear it except her.

She threw on her hoodie, attempting to look more conservative since all she was wearing was a tank top and a pair of distressed shorts. Hyosung opened the door and checked the mailbox; which consisted of bills and magazine subscriptions. She threw the rest back into the box, knowing that one of her roommates would slip some of it under her door.

The air was so heavy today and it was getting warmer, despite how early it was; but that was summer. Hyosung would never consider summer as one of her favorite seasons but ever since he came along, it reminded her so much of him. It felt like he was here with her, floating through the air making her feel all flustered and such. It brought back memories and feelings that she tucked away when summer was long gone.

Hyosung jogged down to her car; making sure that she had her wallet tucked away in her back pocket and her phone in her other hand. She had no idea where she was planning to go, but that was part of the adventure.


"What's up, Hyosung?" Hana poked Hyosung's cheek, only to leave for a moment to serve the customers halfway across the bar counter. "Hyosung!"

Hyosung lazily lifted her head to make eye contact and pressed her cheek against the cold, hard counter again. "What?"

"What do you mean 'what?'" She shook her head and stooped down to Hyosung's level. "You're not okay. Tell me what's wrong."

"I feel like everything is just so complicated these days." Hyosung sat up straight to face palm herself.

"Bad day at home again?"

"Mhm."

"Need a drink? It's on the house." Hana smirked and motioned to the rest of the bar behind her.

"No, but thank you." Hyosung chuckled.

"Ya heading to Himchan's party by the beach?"

Hyosung puffed out her cheeks and nodded, "Yup. It's not like I have somewhere to be."

"You know, Himchan kind of has a thing for you." Hana wiggled her eyebrows and giggled.

"Please. I'm way out of his league." She frowned, "Besides, why would he be interested in someone like me?"

"Aww. Don't think like that, Hyosung! You're stunning!" Hana took off her apron and used her hand to signal another coworker that she was done with her shift.

Hana walked around the bar counter to sit on a stool next to Hyosung's, "Well.. Are you interested in him in any way?"

Hyosung pouted, "I don't know. Yes? No? I barely even know him."

"I'll take that as a yes." Hana scanned the room and slapped her hands against the counter. "Yuri, can you fry up some fries for me?"

Yuri glared at Hana halfway across the room. "Fry them up yourself." She retorted, walking around the bar with her notepad in hand.

"Pft, jerk." Hana flipped her off, but Hyosung slapped her arm in a scolding manner. "What? All I wanted was fries!"

"You're acting like a child!"

"I'm the child?" Hana pointed to herself in shock. "You came to my workplace and started sulking around like a child!"

"Everyone sulks around! It's completely normal." Hyosung struck back. "I'm not flipping people off because they wouldn't make me fries!"

"You flipped me off?" Yuri crossed her arms and tapped her toe against the wooden floor.

"No! Of course not." Hana clicked her tongue.

"You're lucky my shift isn't over yet." She ran to the kitchen to pick up food her customers had ordered.

"See what you did, Hyosung. Yuri didn't like me the first time I met her and she certainly doesn't like me now." Hana sighed.

"Maybe if you were nicer to her..."

"I'm not going to change myself for her. I'd rather be myself than to pretend that I'm someone else."

"You're getting so deep right now, Hana." Hyosung teased.

"Everyone's deep. You just need to give them a chance to open up to you."

Hyosung brushed her hair away from her face, "Am I still getting those fries?"

"OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS." Hana groaned.


Hyosung took another sip of her drink and watched Hana socialize with some of Himchan's friends. She took a deep breath and focused on the bonfire. Being at the beach reminded her of him and that summer; but she wouldn't let that get in the way of her trying to make some new friends and be more outgoing.

"Mind if I take this seat?" Himchan softly smiled and motioned to the empty spot beside her.

She stared at him for a moment before nodding, "Sure."

He didn't like her, he just felt sorry for her. That's what she tried to convince herself as she felt his eyes on her.

"Not a big fan of parties, huh?" He followed her gaze into the bonfire.

Hyosung laughed and adjusted herself so that she was facing him, "I don't really participate in parties that much anymore." She responded as bittersweet memories rushed into her head.

"You should laugh more... You're oh-too-gorgeous to be frowning." Himchan paused then added, "Besides, you'll age faster. It's not good for your health."

She chugged down the remaining amount of her drink, "And why would I want to fake a smile?"

"Because you have to fake it to make it, Hyosung-ah." Himchan patted her shoulder, "It's going to get better somehow. You just have to have faith."

"You don't understand, don't you?" She shrugged off his hand, "It's been two years. Two years seems like a pretty long time."

"I can help you, you know. You shouldn't have to do this alone." He nervously his lips and played with his hands.

Hyosung smiled sadly, "Thanks, I appreciate your help. But for the past two years, I was on my own and I'm still not over it. "

'I don't know if I ever will be.' A small voice crept into her head.

"Well, if you ever need someone to talk to... I'm always free." Himchan dug around in his pockets and pulled out his phone. "Can I get your number?"

He didn't have any interest in her; he just wanted to help her. Hyosung tapped her finger on the wooden log she was sitting on and murmured out her phone number.

"I should get going." Hyosung stood up and tightly gripped her cross body bag. "It's getting late and I need to make sure that Hana is sober. Thanks for the invite."

Himchan stuffed his hands in his jacket's pockets and looked up at her, "No problem. Drive safe and have a good night, Hyosung-ah."

Hyosung said her goodbyes and walked around the beach towards the crowd of people near the waves. It was getting colder and she tugged her hoodie around her chest. But then Hyosung abruptly stopped in the middle of the tracks left by the party-goers. This wasn't the same beach, but it was like he was here; in the air, telling her it was okay. It was never going to be okay. She missed him and he just left her alone in this cold, cruel world. Alone, barely surviving.

"Hyosung!" Hana ran down and hugged Hyosung. "Awww... Are we going already?" Hana leaned her head against Hyosung's shoulder and groaned.

"Hana, you better not be drunk." Hyosung her hair and attempted to guide her up to the parking lot. "Come on. Let's get you home."

"I'm hungry. Can we stop for Mexican food or maybe burgers?" Hana moaned and screamed when she almost tripped on a tree branch.

"Aha, maybe... But I need you to be conscious for us to get food."

"Is that a promise?"

Hyosung finally reached her car and gently set Hana to go sit on the sidewalk. She unlocked her car and opened the passenger door, "Hana! You still awake?"

"Hmm?" Hana grabbed her face and shook her head. "I'm hungry."

"Ugh, this woman." Hyosung led her into her car and buckled her seatbelt for her before she went to her seat. "I guess we're not getting Mexican food."

"What?" Hana screeched and immediately opened her eyes.


Author's Notes: Completed on 7/1/14. First of all, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for not updating. I just can't write and my emotions are interfering with my life. Second, I want to apologize for this crappy chapter. I kind of rambled and it didn't get anywhere. 19 subscribers after one chapter is such a surprise. Haha. I'm probably going to change the setting; between two years ago and the present on every chapter. Do you get what I'm heading for? nope? that's okay. i barely do either.

I'm going to be working on my HyoChan story next, so I might take a while to update this fanfic.

If you want to support this story please comment, subscribe and/or upvote it. Leave it in your labels or bookmark it, like I do sometimes. Whenever I get an alert on comments on any of my stories, I get nervous. It's just that... I want to please everyone. otl.

As always, please excuse any mistakes. I wanted to get this published.