That Night When There was You and I

My Peter Pan

I’m really curious of who the heck is that guy on the football stadium yesterday. Why is he hiding himself under his mask? Is he a terrorist? An American Spy? A Chinese merchant trying to steal my liver and kidneys? Or is he a secret admirer? Yes. Yes. HAHAHA. Maybe that’s it, Ohoho, I know I am born beautiful but he does not have to go that far for me to notice him. He obviously has the looks. How can I tell that he’s handsome? His eyes show enough proof that he has such a face to die for. Not to mention his oh-so melting soft voice.

“PARK HA RIM! Come down this instant!”

(-_-   #) My mom is such a killjoy in everything that involves my life as a fangirl. Everytime I try to imagine my happily ever after with my bias she always butts in. Now, it’s not even my bias now, it’s my love life for pete’s sake! MY REAL LIFE LOVE LIFE!!!

“HAAAAAAAA RIIIIIIIIIIIM!”

“Neh! Just give me a moment eomma!” I shout back at her. She screams like a crazy hyena. I run down the stairs wearing only my brother’s boxer shorts and an overly size t-shirt. With a pack of Cheetos on one hand and a soda can on the other. My hair was tied into a messy bun.

“Eomma! What is it?” I stroded through the living room only to find my mom reading some mails while comfortable sitting on the living room’s round sofa.

As I slowly approach my mom, the mail she had been reading looks oddly familiar. (O___O)

“HOW COME THAT YOUR CREDIT CARD BILLS SHOT THROUGH THE ROOF?!!!!! YOU LAVISH EXTRAVAGANT SPOLIED BRAT!!!” With that she picked up her slipper and ran towards my direction. And that’s how my morning started. We chased each other until we can’t catch our breaths. We ended up in the kitchen and mom made me a peanut butter sandwich, still I was scolded for spending too much. Now, I don’t have my atm card as well as my credit card. So you can also consider me as a penniless beggar.

After a long preach from my mom in the kitchen and checked my twitter account. Nothing new, same responses only from different people. I was scanning through my feed when my phone suddenly buzzes. And my favourite song of EXO plays.

*♫ Naega nungama gidohan i sungani ♫
 ♫ Geudae ein mameul anajulge cheoncheonhi ♫
 ♫ Oneuri hanbeonui chance na naeditneun cheot georeum ♫ - EXO Baby *

As I reach out for my phone, I remembered something from a recent memory. WE HAVE THE SAME RINGING TONE! That freak-o. We have the same ringing tone! I can’t believe this! I brushed off the unhealthy thought and grabbed my phone and slide it to answer the call without even bothering on checking who was the caller.

“Yobosaeyo?”

“Ms. Park?”

“Yes. Who is this?”

“I called to inform you about your father.”

I dropped the phone as I heard the news from the other line. My legs are shaking and tears are flooding my eyes. Staring on nothing when there was suddenly a loud bang behind me.

“Ha rim…”

I slowly turned around and found my mom in tears and wrapped me in a warm and tight hug. I can’t seem to find the strength to say anything I just fell on the floor bringing my mother with me crying in her arms. Appa, appa. You always said to come home and we can go biking by the Han River. But what is this… I can’t understand. Appa… Why would you leave me behind… Why would you break your promise…

It seems like I’ve cried enough that I can’t shed a tear. My mom was busy settling the papers for dad to come home. My older brother is also coming home because of the incident. It’s been 3 days since we’ve heard the news of Dad’s vehicular accident abroad and the fact that he won’t be smiling, hugging, dancing, singing and cooking for me anymore places a dagger to my already broken heart. Mom was so worried about me that she lend me back my credit card and asked me if I could go on a walk outside since I’ve never had the will to look at the world since that day. Here I am today walking blindly in the streets of the city not knowing where should I go. Just thinking about how will I be able to face tomorrow when my bestfriend and my best man isn’t with me anymore. My chest clenches as I evoke the thought as again tears started to fall. And here I am thinking that I had already ran out of tears. I tried to balance myself by leaning on a tree by the side walk.

~ ~ ~ Third Person’s POV (Point of View) ~ ~ ~

He saw her leaning on a tree from their car.

“Hyung! What are you looking at?” And the younger peeked at the window where his hyung was looking. “What is out there? I can’t see anything? What are you looking at?”

He reluctantly shoved off the younger one and cleared his throat. “I’m going out. We don’t have any schedule next right, hyung?” He then opens the door of the car in the middle of traffic and walks to the sidewalk. “Ya! Ya! Get back in the car!” His manager yelled but it seems that he doesn’t hear a thing and his eyes bore through the girl that is now on her knees crying with one hand still on the tree. What is with her? And why the heck am I worried. I don’t even know her. He was standing right behind her. He himself doesn’t understand what he is feeling. He was about to grab her shoulder when he was held back by a hand that made him to look back.

“Hyung. If you’re going out, is it rude not to take us along? And what is that that you are…” The younger one was stunned to see that his hyung was about to talk to a girl. “Seolma… Don’t tell me, you take a liking to a girl?” The older one hurriedly put a hand on the younger’s mouth and dragged him away from the area. “Why are you so loud? Just get back to the car and go home!” “Now you’re angry. What’s the deal with that girl anyway?” He sighed and said, “Remember the girl I’m with in the football match? The girl I befriended?” “NO WAY! WAS THAT HER?! WAS SHE ? THEN WE SHOULD HELP HER!” The younger one strode toward the girl but his hyung hold him back. “No. Let me do this alone please. And just keep this from the others ‘kay?” Seeing the sincerity in his hyung’s voice and by the way he’s utterly concerned look to the unknown girl he nods and silently gets back to the car and a minute later the car drove off. And now he slowly approached the girl who is now trying to keep herself up. He stood just a few steps behind her when she stumbles and he accidentally caught her. “Hang on there.”

She slowly looks up and he was shocked to see that her eyes are as red as her lips now. And those eyes that are full of emotions the last time are almost empty now, he wonders what happened. “It’s you.” He flinches away from his thoughts when she spoke. And even taken off guard when she moved and hugged him. “Is your coffee invitation still open and available?” His heart stopped when she looked up to him. It feels like all the blood in his body rose up to his cheeks and he just meekly answered with a nod.

They walked to the nearest coffee shop with her leaning on him and him supporting her as they walk. He wears the same mask and the same cap and it was a shock that she still recognizes him despite his disguise. She was quiet as the night as they walk to the café.

When they reached the café he made her settle down in a seat near the window and left to order their drinks. He was already at the counter when he remembered that he didn’t know what she’d take. So he got back to her and found her staring out of the street with an empty stare. He just realized how her facial features are all so proportionate and even though she’s pale looking she still has this fair complexion and eyes that has the glint of sunlight in them. And right there and then he wondered why he would think of this stranger this way and why was he so concerned about her. So from that thought, he dragged himself away and cleared his throat to get her attention. “E-ehem.” Though his intention was to get her attention but when she looked his way he was shocked and is in panic. He can’t believe himself from panicking. He is slowly becoming unreasonable. “I-I came to ask what would you want?” And he’s stammering. Oh, for heaven’s sake what is wrong with me?! “Anything will be good.” “Something sweet might help.” “Okay.” Then she’s back to spacing out again. He then goes back to the counter and got her a piece of a strawberry cream cake and a Frappuccino and got himself a warm, creamy latte and brought it to their table. “You are spacing out a lot today.” As he sets their orders on the table, she then warps her fingers around the plastic cup and sipped into her frappe. “Did something happen?” She stopped. And looked at him. “How can I trust you with my heart when you won’t even let me see your face?” He-heart? Am I being confessed to? He thought to himself but she continues. “I’m sorry for bothering you. But I just want someone to talk to, so please let me know that I am not venting out to someone that is not even a little interested or even cares about me.” He was taken aback. “No. I am a person you can definitely trust and believe me when I say this, you don’t want me to take this mask off or you will just regret knowing the real me. So, let’s just stick to what we are today, alright? It doesn’t really matter who I really am. But I ensure you that I’m all ears and why would you think that I pay no interest in you when I was the one who approached you and tried to ease you up?” When she looked up at him, she smiled slightly that made his heart flinch.

After hearing her story, he absent mindedly grabbed her hand across the table and looked at her straight in the eye. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know.” “No it’s ok. It just happened. We never expected that to happen. I wasn’t even ready yet.” Tears again windowed her eyes and just before it falls he brushed them off. “I think you’ve had your share of crying for tonight.” She was shocked by the way he talks to her and how can she ever take herself to share her heartaches to a total stranger not to mention a person whom she thinks is a freak. But talking to this man however eased up the burden she carries. She gives him a smile and thanks him.

“It’s getting late. Will you be okay to go back home on your own?”

“I guess so.”

He faces her. “This isn’t the last time we’ll talk right?”

She also faces him and gives him a nod. And then he smiles underneath his mask. Just at the moment, her bus stops and she climbs in.

“I’ll call you!” He shouts before the doors of bus closed and for the last time that night she smiled back to him. Now he’s left now smiling to himself but that smiled faded when he thought of how difficult it must’ve been for her these past few days. Maybe he’ll come by her some time later. They talked to something this far yet they don’t even know each other’s name.