First Chapter

Apsycho Agapi

The unfamiliar and familiar faces that he passed by were busy with their own worlds. Strolling around the corners of the hospital lot has been almost his routine since his younger days. He had memorized every floors and walls and seen how their colors faded every season. It has already become his second home.

Walking on his hospital dress, Kyungsoo decided to get back to his room. A man of his age lying carelessly on the hospital bed, with his attention on the television welcomed him. “What brings you here?” Kyungsoo asked and cleared his throat. “I’m here for my weekly check-up. You know how your father will react when I miss one.” The boy said matter of factly. “Being your heart donor isn’t easy as I thought. It’s like your life depends on me.” He added still eyes glued on the television.

“My life really depends on you, Jongin. You knew that since then.” Kyungsoo eyed him and for a second, their eyes met.

Kyungsoo’s family had ensured that Jongin would be healthy enough until the day of the transplant. He had his weekly check-up, making sure that he is illness free. Like Kyungsoo, the hospital has been his second home from the moment that he agreed on the life changing offer of Kyungsoo’s father.

Their first meeting wasn’t very pleasant but worthy enough to be remembered. Kyungsoo was a typical eleventh grader back then, disregarding his wealthy lifestyle. He doesn’t like fame and attention knowing that he could get both with just a click of his fingers. He got the looks and brain and the charm that every guys and girls would fall for. But he chose not to because he wants a normal life.

A young Kyungsoo was walking on the empty hallway when he heard someone calling out his name from behind. He turned around and scanned the hallway only to see no one. It was pretty dark due to the gloomy weather and rain is threatening to pour.  He continued walking and made his pace a little bit faster making his chest tighten as it slowly loses air. Again, he heard that particular someone calling out his name and sounds of footsteps followed behind. He turned his back again but still, there is no one. He reached the end of the hallway with his lungs constricting making him gasp for air. He leaned against the wall and held his chest tightly.  Slowly, he fell on the floor as his breathing gets harder. Trying to let out his voice, he stood up and looked for anyone to ask for help but everyone seemed to be in their respective classes. He suddenly heard a laugh that echoed between the walls.”Are you scared? Damn your face looks priceless!” Then the boy in front of him laughed his heart out again. He was the most known scorching hot bad-boy, Jongin, but to others like Kyungsoo, bully is the right term.  He is known for making the biggest pranks in the school. Breaking hearts and making girls cry at his very young age had become his pastime.

Beads of sweat fell on Kyungsoo’s sideburns and his hand tighten its hold on his chest. “H-help me.” He breathed out still on the ground. Jongin’s eye widened and let out a chuckle nervously. “That’s not funny. Now stand up and go back to your class.” He turned his back with his heart pounding with tense and started walking away.“H-help.” Kyungsoo managed to say before he loses his breath, enough for Jongin to hear it out. With that, Jongin found himself carrying the boy, making his way to the school infirmary. What the hell did happened?

“I told you many times D.O Kyungsoo not to put yourself on danger! We almost lose you again!” Mrs. D.O scolded while in the verge of tears. “I’m sorry mom” Kyungsoo replied lying on the infirmary bed. “Thank you for helping my son, young man.” She turned beside the doorway where Jongin stood at sea.

“It’s my fault stop thanking me.”  Jongin rolled his eyes with his arms crossed.

“What do you mean?”  She asked bewildered.

“I didn’t help him, in fact I was the one who brought him in that state. But in the first place, I didn’t know he was dying. “He answered making the woman fumes with exasperation.

“How could you- you have no manners young man!”

“Thanks for reminding me but I knew that already. Can I leave now? He didn’t die for s’ sake.”  With that, he left.

--

Jongin looked away and faced the television still lying on the bed with his back leaned on the pillows. “I know.”  He answered.

“Aren’t you afraid to die?” Kyungsoo asked as he made his way near the window where he could see the busy streets of Seoul.

“Why would I? We are born to die Kyungsoo. From the very first moment we lived, death comes after in no specific time.” Jongin answered without any traces of regret in his voice.

“But you could live longer Jongin. Why did you choose to die?” Kyungsoo memorized every detail of the view knowing that maybe he should never have the opportunity to look at it again.

“If you were on my shoes you would do the same thing.” Jongin said like he was very sure of it.

“How did you know?” He looked at Jongin with confusion.

“Some questions are better unanswered, Kyungsoo.”  He looked back and smiled softly.

A sudden knock on the door from the nurse signaled Jongin to leave the hospital room.  It was already time for Kyungsoo to take his rest. He turned off the television and made his way out leaving Kyungsoo with himself.

His family had searched thoroughly for a heart donor. They have given away almost all their time and spent too much just to extend his life. He wants to live, yes he do. He wants to see every tomorrow that may pass from day to night. He wants to experience what life has to offer until the very end. He wants to live badly and do all he can to gather all his strength to fight his heart failure knowing that in every mistaken move he does , he could lose the life he wanted to outlive.

--

Kim Jongin came from a broken family. Her mother left him and his father to marry another man, a man with power and money on his hands unlike his father. He was left with his father not knowing how they could survive the day that will come. Not knowing if they’ll be able to see the dawn with their appetites full.  From that day, he promised himself that one day he will have everything, everything that caused her mother to leave them.

He grew as a rebel, ruining his life, not wanting to live the very next day. For him, his life existed just to taste every bitterness and pain it has without any destination. The main reason he wanted to end his life. Going to school had become his biggest unwillingness to do. For him, it would only add up misery in his living.  Like usual rebels do, he started to ditch on his classes. He started to set up large pranks to everyone disregarding whether it is a teacher or his classmates. He started bullying them, burying traumas in their chests. Also, he started to play hearts of different girls and break them after. With that, he found a little reason to enjoy his living.  

Jongin was doubtlessly sure that he agreed because of everything. He wanted a wealthy life where everything rotates with money and material things. Latest models of cars, expensive technologies, and a classy mansion, all the things he didn’t have in his early life. But he could only get all those when he give his heart.  He’s not stupid well maybe not, to ignore a diamond scattered on the floor only a few inch away his fingertips. He wanted all these before he found his wanted death.

“I could give you everything you want, young man. Think about my offer.” Mr. Do looked at the younger’s eyes with determination. “Everything young man. Just your heart for my son.”  The sound of his voice strikes like a lighting without any traces of doubt. Blinded and deafened by his intense desire for everything, Jongin agreed not thinking twice. 

He was found to be a compatible heart donor to the guy he almost killed. His hopes lit up like fireworks on an evening sky. He found a great way to end his life.

“You will be moving in with us starting tomorrow. Will there be anyone I need to ask permission for? How about your parents, where are they?” Mr. Do asked.

“They died few years ago. There’s nothing to worry.” He lied. He knew his father wouldn’t want this but he had made his decision and there’s no backing out.

Finally, Mr. Do and Jongin shook their hands. There’s no backing out…

 “I’m Kyungsoo, pleasure to meet you again.”  Kyungsoo introduced himself and his heart shaped lips curled up into a smile. “Jongin. Pleasure’s all mine.” He looked at the doe eyed boy and smirked.

It was the beginning of something new to both of them, a beginning that only one could reach the finish line.  


 

Author's note: Sorry for the very short chapter.