Runaway

Runaway

Dear Taehyung

By the time you read this I will be long gone. I have decided that it’s for the best that I go back to Busan to focus on my studies.

Please don’t come looking for me

Jeon Jungkook


Taehyung blinks at the piece of paper lying on his pillow, “so I’m assuming you’re not the real Jeon Jungkook.”

Jungkook (or at least, a boy who looks remarkably similar to Jungkook) is standing in the centre of the dormitory, a suitcase containing all his worldly possessions under one arm and an expression of wide eyed shock on his face. In his oversized varsity jacket and beanie Taehyung thinks he looks like a five year old whose game has gotten a little out of hand.

They stare at each other, and stare…and stare. Taehyung is sure it’s Jungkook’s turn to talk

He starts slowly, “so…you found me out.”

"Of course I found you out you left me a letter explaining what you were doing," he squints back at the page, "it’s kind of a ty explanation though."

"Yeah…."

Silence. Jungkook’s phone buzzes but he doesn’t answer it.

Taehyung moves over to Jungkook’s bed and flops down on the less than substantial matress, “are you really going to run away?”

"I packed all my stuff didn’t I?"

"You could just be playing a game, like make believe,"

Jungkook rolls his eyes, “I’m too old for make believe hyeong.”

"You’re never too old for anything Kookie."

"Whatever hyeong."

Taehyung would be lying if he said he was surprised when Jungkook drops the suitcase and crawls up to join him on the bed. He had his Timberlands on and his feet dangle heavy off the edge like a kid .

"I’m not unhappy or anything," Jungkook starts, "I just….hyeong do you ever feel like you should be off doing normal teenager stuff?" he turns to look at Taehyung, eyes expectant and hopeful. 

Taehyung says nothing. 

Jungkook sighs, “Of course you don’t.”

"I don’t even know what you mean by ‘normal teenager stuff’"

"Of course you don’t."

The silence that curls between them is most definitely awkward, though Taehyung’s very sure that that has nothing to do with him. Jungkook is like tangible tension next to him, it’s only a matter of time till he gives in and explains what’s really going on here. All it takes is silence.

3..2..1…and…

"My friends back home talk about school and dating and their ing…parents. I dunno I just….I feel like I’m missing out on everything, I know we have so much here and I know that we’ve worked hard for it but-"

Jungkook kicks angrily at the edge of the bed, “I feel like I’ve lost them. My friends, my parents, my hyeong. They haven’t needed to make space for me since I was fourteen so it’s like there’s no space left.”

Taehyung stares at the packed suitcase, “so you’re saying there’s nothing left in Busan for you to go back to?”

"Of course there’s something left, it’s my home."

They hold each other’s gaze for a beat, but Taehyung knows that Jungkook’s mind is made up,

"Hyeong, will you help me unpack?"

By the time Namjoon and Yoongi get home the letter is gone and Jungkook has nothing more to say about his friends back home.