Three

Goodnight, Baekhyun

150410

For countless of times, Baekhyun refused to see his test results. He would always point towards their manager and say, “Tell him. He’ll understand it more.”

The test results never differed from the previous. The doctors always started off as, “we don’t know what’s wrong but…”

Chanyeol stopped listening after that.

 

150415

The doctors started to give him more pills, one of them was even innovated especially for him. Chanyeol knew the consequence of this; it was that they knew there’s a side-effect but they didn’t know what. Suho tried asking the doctor. He didn’t get any answer.

                                                                                                                                                            

150419

Five days after the first innovation-pill (as Baekhyun would like to call it) was given, nothing was happening. Baekhyun assured them that he was feeling slightly better, but it was just his way of reassuring himself more so than the others. Chanyeol could still see the pain in his sleep every night, and he swore it had just gotten more painful.

 

150421

EXO-M members came back from China and went directly to EXO-K’s dorm to check on Baekhyun. A surprise welcome-back party was thrown in, complete with games (courtesy of Sehun and Jongin) and food (all credits to Kyungsoo). The dorm was noisy even after the clocked midnight. Their manager didn’t seem to bother scolding them, however.

Baekhyun didn’t participate in anything, but he was there, laughing and clapping in the background, pain completely forgotten. Despite his inability to move, he never left the center of the party. His loud, lewd insults were still very much present, much to Tao’s agony, of course. He was still the life of the party, and Chanyeol was grateful for that.

After the party, Chanyeol and Kris were left to clean up everything. Kris smacked a hand over Chanyeol’s shoulders. “You had fun?”

Chanyeol nodded and smiled, until he saw Baekhyun’s plate (the plate that has the big B in the middle; Baekhyun is a narcissistic brat), clean and untouched. “He didn’t eat?”

 

150505

Three weeks after the first pill was given, something happened, and it wasn’t to their liking.

Baekhyun woke up in pain and looking like sh!t. His left arm was completely useless now. He could barely  even stand to go to the washroom that morning.

Chanyeol couldn’t take it anymore.

 

150506

It was Baekhyun’s birthday. There was no celebration inside SM. Baekhyun slept for the whole day.

 

150510

EXO Staff availed an IV set for Baekhyun’s personal use by Chanyeol’s request. The poor boy kept thrashing at night, crying how painful it was. The taller male always woke up with bruises on his face. It was better this way.

He wasn’t allowed but a nurse taught Chanyeol how to insert the needle into Baekhyun’s hand. Baekhyun cried throughout the whole process. Chanyeol ignored him.

 

150511

Practices and concerts continued with the remaining eleven members. The fans continued demanding where Baekhyun was. The EXO members continued lying.

 

150512

“I think the people should know, Baek.”

He peeped through the window, taking note of the people gathering daily on their door with flowers and gifts for the members. They all seemed happy. Baekhyun smiled. “No, not yet.”

“When?”

“Time will come, Yeol.”

“When it’s all too late?”

“It’s already too late, Chanyeol. Let’s go to sleep.”

“Good night, Baekhyun.”

 

150515

A rumor spread through the internet saying that Baekhyun is dead. It gave proofs and evidences to back the writer’s conclusion up. They were all too believable. It brought chaos in front their dorm.

Later that day, Tao posted a group picture in his Instagram. Baekhyun was present, laughing with all the others.

Kris tweeted: Hell hath no fury like a fangirl scorned.

Nobody knew where Kris got that quote form. Baekhyun found it funny.

 

150521

The EXO members arrived home. All were ranging from slightly tipsy to -everything-that-breathes drunk. Chanyeol was somewhere in the middle. He slumped dead on Baekhyun’s bed.

“You stink, Park!”

“I don’t want you to die, Baek,” Chanyeol replied, giggling. “I love you.”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “I guess you can sleep with me tonight.”

“I always sleep with you, Baekkie.”

“Good night, idiot.”

 

150526

Kyungsoo saw Chanyeol sitting by their room’s door that night. He asked what he was doing.

“Baekhyun shut me out.”

Then they heard a scream from inside the room. A glass breaking followed. Both young men winced. Baekhyun’s breakdown hurt everyone, although they tried their best not to mind. Once, Luhan tried to comfort the guy. It didn’t do any good. Luhan was a tears-wet mess after that.

“Why me!?” “I don’t want this!” “I’m tired!” “Stop it!” “I can’t!” “I can’t…”

Kyungsoo sat beside Chanyeol. Together they listened to Baekhyun’s angst. There was no exchange, no words. Chanyeol started crying somewhere in the middle.

When Kyungsoo thought he already fell asleep, a knock and slight nudge from the door smacked him back to reality.

Baekhyun was standing, one hand on the door knob, the other on the stem of his IV holder thing. He was smiling, or more likely, forcing a smile. “Hi.”

“Hi,” Kyungsoo replied. Chanyeol was silent, shocked behind him.

Baekhyun knocked again. This time with a small rhythm. “Do you… wanna build a snowman?”

 

150603

When the EXO members arrived back at the dorm, Baekhyun was on the floor giggling his way to cloud nine. A box of pain relievers lay empty nearby.

“Are you okay?”

“I feel… haha… hello~” The young man looked at them, stared, pointed at Xiumin, and began giggling again. “B-Baozi… haha.”

Everyone enjoyed a high Baekhyun. It gave them a false sense of the old Baekhyun back, the old Baekhyun everyone missed, even Baekhyun himself.

Kyungsoo made a mental note to keep Baekhyun’s medicine away from him when they’re away.

 

150609

For the past days or so, Baekhyun stayed in the hospital. Kyungsoo and Suho talked him into it. The conversation wasn’t as peaceful as the rest hoped, but it was successful. Baekhyun was admitted to a private hospital that afternoon, until further notice, with staff paid to keep their trap shut about the whole deal.

Chanyeol recalled him and Jongdae eavesdropping that morning.

“I won’t go!” That was Baekhyun, throwing a tantrum like always. “I don’t want me there.” And grammatically detached when pissed.

“You have to understand, Baek. It’s safer for you there.” Kyungsoo, no doubt. He never raised a voice to a mid-tantrum member. He knows how to deal with people. Chanyeol wished he could too. “Please, Baek.”

“Why? Am I being too much of a burden?”

“Yes,” Suho said, stern but loud. “Yes, Byun. You’re being a burden. We can’t take care of you, you know that.”

Outside, Chanyeol and Jongdae flinched. Baekhyun wasn’t being a burden, really. They talked about this a lot of times before. They all agreed that Baekhyun staying in their dorm kept their mind form worrying too much since they could all check on him easily. But Baekhyun is getting sicker as days passed and admitting him under a doctor’s watch 24/7 would probably better.

“Suho! You’re not a burden, Baek. But please, the hospital would take care of your much better than we can.”

“Why don’t you just send me home?”

They could, actually, just send him home. But, secretly, nobody wants to. Except for Lay, because Lay wants to have a reason to visit Baekhyun’s grandmother but that’s a different matter entirely.

“I don’t wanna die there,” Baekhyun whispered. “Just promise me I won’t die there.”

The atmosphere never felt heavier than before. Silence reigned for the longest time.

“You won’t die there,” Kyungsoo said.

 

150514

“Chanyeol.”

They were alone. The others had gone to eat. Chanyeol decided to stay, despite Baekhyun’s protests, to guard the patient. The taller male sat on the farthest chair, busying himself by playing games on his PSP. Baekhyun was ignoring him for the past hour until he called.

“Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol looked up, glad that he’d been called. “Yes, Baek?”

There were tears on Baekhyun’s cheek. Chanyeol didn’t know what to make of that. He decided not to mind it.

“Chanyeol, stop this.”

It took a long moment before Chanyeol figured what this is. He didn’t like it. “I wish I can, Baek. If only I can.”

Baekhyun smiled at him, sad and hopeful, and looked at the various equipment hooked onto his body. “You can.”

Chanyeol ignored Baekhyun for the rest of the night.

 

150525

Baekhyun was released from the hospital because he didn’t want to die in there.

 

150530

Without Baekhyun’s permission, a press conference was held up near SM’s main building to talk about EXO’s on/off status. Chanyeol was the last to speak.

“Regarding Baekhyun…”

The whole hall froze, dreading that the up-coming revelation confirms all the rumors spreading.

“He’s…”

And it did confirmed everything.

 

150531

“You told everyone.”

It wasn’t a question. Chanyeol nodded, not trusting himself to speak a word.

“Thank you.”

 

150602

“It’s time to sleep, Chanyeol! Stop playing games already!”

Chanyeol laughed and close the lights. “Good night, Baekhyun. Sleep well. I love you.”

“You’re such an idiot.”

 

150603

That was the last time Chanyeol bid Baekhyun a good night.

*

A/N: Angst, angst because I’m bored XDD The End~