One

Goodnight, Baekhyun

150311

It was approximately one month, two weeks, and four days since their tragic latest concert, and Chanyeol was starting to hate and dread fan-signing events.

Not because of the fans and paparazzi waiting to record his every word, capture his every movement. Nope, that’s not the reason. He started hating fan-signing events because every one of his fans and the paparazzi were asking where Baekhyun is, and it killed him a little more each time he thinks about Baekhyun. Baekhyun, Baekhyun, Baekhyun. It was always about Baekhyun.

“Where is Baekhyun?”

“When will Baekhyun return?”

 “Is Baekhyun sick?”

All Chanyeol could do were smile and lie to Baekhyun, for Baekhyun, about Baekhyun. And how he wished his lies were the truth; that every answer he’d said were honest and true. It killed him a little more each time a fan asks what happened to Baekhyun and he answers with a lie.

“He’s resting.”

“Soon.”

“No. He’s perfectly healthy.”

Chanyeol saw their international fandom grieved when SM announced that Baekhyun won’t be in the next few EXO concerts without clear reason. He’ll just be absent, although his voice will still be heard in the original songs from the albums. So far, Kyungsoo and Suho were doing well taking Baekhyun’s parts during live performances. Chen will be there sometimes to help. It killed him a little more each time he sees their vocal line fighting to reach Baekhyun’s lines and high notes.

“Why are you hiding Baekhyun?” a fan asked before handling a pad of paper for Chanyeol to sign onto.

“We’re not hiding Baekhyun?” Chanyeol tried to laugh as if her question was the most ridiculous in the world.

“Then where is he?”

“He’s just resting.” Chanyeol hurriedly scribbled his special signature and not-so-obviously shove the pad back. He just wanted people to stop asking and let Baekhyun have his peace.

“He’s sick, isn’t he?” she said it so casually Chanyeol almost cried. “He’s dying. I bet he’s in a hospital right now, fighting for his life while the other members and the staff try their best to cover it up with shady nonsense. You should look up your name on the internet when you have time. The fandom had already given up. Stop feeding them false hopes. Stop feeding us with lies.”

Chanyeol stood, abruptly, slamming his fists on the table. His eyes were dilating

The other members were looking at him with mixed expressions of shock, disbelief, and understanding. It was apparent that they too were affected by the group’s loss of Baekhyun.

And it killed him a little more each time.

Suho, who was sitting beside him, stood and gave his shoulder a pat. The K-leader smiled and waved towards the fans. “I’m sorry. Chanyeol is very tired. We’re all very tired. I’m going to take him to rest for a minute. I’m really sorry.”

Chanyeol raked his hair with his hand before following Suho into the small room at the back of the stage. They sat there, silent, for a long while, while Chanyeol tried to compose himself.

“Have you ever looked for our names online?” Chanyeol asked.

Suho nodded.

“Were they true?” Chanyeol was sobbing now. The make-up started melting, mixing with his tears to form black trails along his cheeks. “What she said?”

Suho nodded, again, and walked out, afraid that he might say something worse.

Chanyeol’s make-up artist struggled to fix his face again.

The fan-signing event closed without further issues.

There were things Chanyeol hated more than fan-signing, however; for example, going back to the dorm and seeing Baekhyun on his bed, smiling and breathing.

Baekhyun wasn’t even supposed to be in the dorm. He should be resting somewhere safer like his home or in the hospital but Baekhyun (back-upped by Chanyeol) pleaded that he be admitted in the dorm. The SM staff and the doctors were skeptical at first but his family gave their permission and the EXO members were more than happy to look after him, no matter how busy they were.

Most especially Chanyeol.

Baekhyun was sleeping when they arrived at their dorm. Chanyeol sat beside him to talk about the day.

“They miss you,” he said. “The world misses little Baekkie.”

He didn’t received any reply. Not that he was expecting any.

“I miss you too, Baekkie.”

He leaned in to kiss Baekhyun’s forehead before deciding it was now time to change clothes and retire for the night. And he did so, with so little enthusiasm, looking back at Baekhyun every now and then to check if he stirred or anything. Of course, he didn’t.

He donned on his pajamas and climbed to the top bed of their double deck.

“You just saw me before you guys left, Chanyeol,” a voice, Baekhyun’s, resounded with a little mirth and a little exhaustion. “Oh, and I felt that... the kiss.”

Chanyeol hurriedly climbed down. “You’re awake!”

“I wasn’t until your thunderous presence shook me out of my dream,” Baekhyun laughed, relieving Chanyeol. The older male sat up, with Chanyeol’s help, and reached out towards the side table for a letter. “Hyung left this.”

Hyung. Baekbeom and his wife dropped by often to check on his little brother while the rest of the members were away. Sometimes, even Chanyeol’s sister, with Chanyeol’s pleas, would take care of Baekhyun.

Chanyeol took it from Baekhyun’s anime-hands and opened it.

Thanks for taking care of Baekhyun! Fighting, EXO! I love you~ <3, it read.

Baekhyun giggled. It was the sweetest and saddest melody Chanyeol had ever heard in his life. Sweet because it was full of innocent joy and sad because he knows he’ll ran out of it soon.

“A fan asked where you are today,” Chanyeol said. “Then she said a lot of mean and sad things. I cried.” He leaned in again, this time to place his forehead on Baekhyun’s.

The older male wrapped his arms around the other. “I’m fine. See? I can still speak to you. I even made myself some chicken soup.” He pointed at the empty bowl on the floor. “Oh, can you please bring the bowl to the sink for me?”

“After a while.” Chanyeol scooted Baekhyun gently over and lay beside him. “Let me just…”

After a while, both young men were asleep. The bowl completely forgotten.

 

*

A/N: So yeah, very short, very angsty... Chanyeol is a bit emotionally unstable, I'm sorry OTL Constructive criticisms please <3