Heartbreak (JaeSu drabble)

Heartbreak (JaeSu drabble)

It’s 2 o’clock in the morning.  Jaejoong holds the handle of the door, easing it shut soundlessly, slips off his shoes, and walks through the apartment as silently as possible, not wanting to wake anyone.  He is surprised to find the bedroom empty, but notices a bit of light leaking out from beneath the closed door of the music room.  He eases the door open and sees Junsu bent over the piano, resting his head in his hands.  The door squeaks a little and Junsu looks up.  His eyes are full of tears. 

 

Jaejoong moves to him quickly and wraps his arms around the younger man.  “What’s the matter, Su-yah?  Why are you crying?”

 

“I’m sorry, hyung,” he murmurs, wiping his eyes.  “I’m trying to write music for us, and it’s just so hard.”

 

Jaejoong is silent, just gently running his fingers through the other’s blond hair, hoping Junsu will say more if he stays quiet.  “You are filming now, and Yoochun’s been gone for months.  It’s gotten hard to remember the concept of us, of JYJ, and even harder to take us in new directions so our album is fresh and innovative and everything the fans could desire.  It’s a lot of pressure.”

 

“I know.  But is it worth crying about?”

 

“Oh, hyung…” and Junsu’s eyes fill with tears again.  Jaejoong pulls him up and into a hug.  Junsu clutches at his back and shakes in his arms.

 

“Su-yah, Su-yah, what is going on?”  Jaejoong rubs soft circles into his back until he is calmer.

 

“I’m sorry.  I’m being stupid, and overly emotional, I know.  It’s just….”  He stops.

 

“It’s just?”

 

“I’m obsessed, Joongie.  I’m haunted.  I’m watching the news all the time.  I’m reading every article that comes out.  I can’t stop thinking about it.  About the ferry.  About all those young students.  About their parents waiting for them.  About them dying in the cold, dark water.  Of all their hopes and dreams gone.  Of the boy and the girl who tied their life vests together.  Of 48 students dying in a room together.  They must have been terrified.  So many dead, so many missing.  All so young.  I’m trying to write songs, Joongie, but all I can think about are those students.”

 

“Have you written anything?”

 

Junsu grabs a sheet off the piano, shoves it into Jaejoong’s hand, and turns away.  Jaejoong reads the lyrics and sings the melody in his head.  “This is beautiful, Su-yah.”

 

“Thanks, hyung, but it doesn’t matter.  We can’t release it.  We’d just be criticized for capitalizing on a national tragedy.”

 

“Sing it for me, Su-yah.  I want to hear it.”

 

Junsu glares at Jaejoong with resigned disbelief, but sets himself down at the piano, and after a moment, begins to play.  His voice is barely a whisper when he starts to sing, but gradually it gets stronger.  And although the song is full of sadness and loss, the chorus is about keeping alive the hopes and dreams of those who are gone, with a restorative feel.  Jaejoong joins in the second time Junsu sings the chorus, adding a harmony part, and sings the third verse himself.  He takes the melody on the last chorus while Junsu improvises above.  It closes with a short, quiet coda.

 

Junsu looks up at Jaejoong, smiling though his eyes are moist.  “Thanks, hyung.”

 

“Feeling better?”

 

“Yes.  It felt good to sing it.  Maybe I can move on and write something else now.”

 

“It’s a truly beautiful song.  Does it have a name?” 

 

“Heartbreak.”

 

Jaejoong nods solemnly while he is busy with his phone.

 

“What are you doing, hyung?”

 

“Sending the song to Yoochun.  He needs to hear it.”

 

“You recorded it?”

 

“Yes.  I knew it would be good.  I want Yoochun to sing it with us.  I want to record it properly.”

 

“Seriously?  It’s a waste of time and effort.”

 

“Maybe.  Maybe not.  At least I’ll have it to listen to.”

 

“Alright, hyung.  Whatever.”  He turns back to the piano.

 

“Come to bed, Su-yah.  I have to be up early for filming.  I came over hoping for a little snuggling against that luscious of yours.  I always sleep better in your bed.”

 

Junsu glances up at him.  “That’s ‘cause…”  He stops, noticing the needy look in Jae’s eyes.  “Oh, never mind.”  His smile is almost a smirk.  “I guess we’ll both sleep well tonight.”