Connection

Love, Me

— Chapter 6 —

Connections


A few days after Taeyeon's return, a small box was mailed to them. There were a few folded hearts, some handwrapped candy and a letter. A pink letter from the other members of their group to congratulate the couple. They sat on the couch, cuddling each other as they read the letter. Tiny colourful doodles filled the borders of the paper, temporarily distracting Jinki and Taeyeon from the actual content of the letter.

"Hey there lovebirds!
How are you two doing? We felt that what we said at the airport wasn't enough,
so here's a letter! Yet another addition to the list of couples in our group. Hehe.
We are so happy for you! Your compatibility is just through the roof... Make sure
it stays that way! You two are a match made in heaven. Tiffany says if you need
help with anything in your relationship, just look for her. But we're sure nothing
will go wrong between you two!
Jinki, you'd better take care of Taeyeon or else... I will be the last person you'll
ever see. And Taeyeon, treat Jinki nicely as well! That's all for now, but you'll probably hear more from us the next time we meet!
Hugs and Kisses,
Everyone else.

P.S. When you guys get married, be sure to invite me! -H
"

The ending note made both of them chuckle, though they weren't able to see the name as it was covered by squiggly lines. Other small messages were written beside the doodles, further decorating the borders of the paper. If one were to look at it far enough, it would, strangely, look like it was intricately designed, despite the messy handwriting.

A soft sniffle from his side caught Jinki's attention. Taeyeon was actually... tearing up. His arm gently tightened around her slender waist, his other hand petting her head.

"It's been a while since I last saw you cry," he laughed quietly, only to receive a punch to his arm.

"Not funny," Taeyeon huffed in response, narrowing her eyes at him.

Jinki on the other hand, was confused. He didn't even say anything wrong. He was only playfully reminding her about that one time she thought she had lost her books and tried to find them before class to the point where she teared up...

...until she realised they were all under her desk.

Taeyeon didn't mind him or their friends joking around about the incident at all. Or at least until now.

But Jinki just shrugged it off and scrunched up his face, making her laugh. Taeyeon leaned her head on his shoulder, lightly touching the spot she had just hit, sighing softly.

"Sorry about what happened just now."

"It's fine... At least it's not permanent."

It was silent for a few moments, apart from the occasional rustling from the television couch, where Mr Kim was seated, flipping through channels as soon as the commercial break started.

"Oh yes, I took a couple days off to bring you to my hometown and meet my parents next week!" Jinki piped up as soon as he remembered what he wanted to say. "Your dad's fine with it,"

"Meet... your parents?" Taeyeon replied unsurely as she curled her fingers, eyes darting around as if looking for someone to prompt her to say more.

"Come on, it's not that big of a deal, is it? I'm already on good terms with your dad, I'm sure my parents will like you too."

"If you say so. I'll go then..."

"Great! See you tonight for dinner," he cheered and quickly pecked her on the cheek before scuttling off back to his apartment.

***

The warm afternoon sun was glowing in the azure sky, finding a thin blanket of white to hide behind every now and then. Strolling down the small lane with small flowers and lush greenery painting both sides, Taeyeon and Jinki breathed in the fresh air and the sweet scent of the grass, gradually becoming more relaxed as the two neared the house. Taking a deep breath, Jinki knocked on the door with Taeyeon by his side.

The small door was opened by a girl in her teens, her hair tied up in a messy bun. Her eyes were clear and bright, and sparkled with the same energy that was reflected in Jinki's eyes.

"Who's at the door, Jinhee?" someone called from the inside of the house.

"It's big brother! And his girlfriend!" the girl excitedly yelled back. Footsteps could be heard rushing towards the door afterwards, while Jinhee let the couple in.

"Look at you coming home like a man! This is the girl you were telling us about the other time? What was her name again?" Jinki's mother gushed, squishing his cheeks before turning her attention to Taeyeon, smiling warmly.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Mrs Lee. I am Kim Taeyeon. How do you do?" she bowed and greeted politely, returning the warm smile.

"Ah, what a nice girl! Have a seat first, Jinki's father should be back from the neighbour's any time soon."

Meanwhile, Jinhee was looking at Taeyeon, eyes sparkling with curiosity and wonder.

"You're the one in the apartment next to his, right? Oh, I remember, you went to the same school too! How was it like living with him?"

Taeyeon's lips curved into a smile and she sat down on the floor. "Yep, we hit it off almost immediately. Well, he is a very energetic and playful person. He does get pretty... annoying at times though. Also, his handwriting is ugly, don't tell him that."

"I'm right here, ladies!" Jinki piped up and rolled his eyes while giggles erupted from the two girls. Jinhee accidentally let out a snort and her face turned red, while Taeyeon and Jinki burst into another bout of laughter.

"I see that you are getting along well with my Jinhee," Jinki's father suddenly stepped in, his gravelly yet gentle-sounding voice grabbing the attention of the trio.

Taeyeon quickly stood up and bowed, while the two siblings ran up to the elderly man, embracing him in a warm hug.

"Daddy!" they chorused, letting him go after a few seconds.

"Jinki! Back again after two weeks! And of course, not to forget this young lady here. Correct me if I'm wrong, you must be Taeyeon," he said, beaming broadly.

"I need help with the dishes Jinhee!" her mother yelled from the kitchen before Taeyeon could say anything.

The teenager sighed in frustration before trudging off to carry out her duty, while Taeyeon followed behind.

"I'd like to help as well!"

"We couldn't possibly burden you with this, you are our guest!"

"It isn't of any trouble to me at all. Here, may I help you with this?" she reassured in a bright manner and stretched out both her hands to offer help.

"Since you asked so politely, of course."

 

Friendly remarks were passed around during the meal. The comfortable atmosphere helped Taeyeon settle down better, and she was enjoying herself. They made her feel like she was part of the family, and that made her feel warm and fuzzy inside.

"This tastes so good!" she exclaimed as she took a bite out of the chicken, her eyebrows lifting in delight.

"Thank you, but I'm sure your mother cooks better than this, right?"

All at once, everything fell silent. Everyone looked at Taeyeon quizzically while she stared at the floor with a blank expression, her bangs shielding her tears from sight.

"I'm sorry, I need to take a break,"she muttered, sighing before getting up and gingerly walked towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Jinki's father questioned, slightly agitated by her actions while she slipped out the door without any reply.

"Calm down, dad, she hasn't been feeling well lately," Jinki spoke in an attempt to defend Taeyeon's actions. "Besides, her mother... isn't around anymore. I'll go out and talk to her alright?"


A/N: And a new chapter is up for you guys! ^^ Guess who wrote the last note in the letter? I apologize for not updating earlier, it's been really crazy in school. Sorry for the abrupt ending heh.

I hope that everyone is doing well though! Take care while I attempt to type and edit the upcoming chapters on my phone~ Till next time!