Prologue - Gravity

Betrayal Knows My Name

A man sat against a wall adorned with cracking paint, a forearm covering his eyes, as if the light outside was blinding him. Maybe it did, but he got a little accustomed to it after all these years. The bed was untouched up until now, as he was uncomfortable lying on his back and because sleep was something that he did not need.

 

The worn-out radio on an old bed stand was belting out a song and the sound that came from it went in varying levels of volume and intensity due to the lack of reception. Even in these conditions, he found the music beautiful in its most basic simplicity. It was stripped down, a sweet and melancholic vocal marrying the even sweeter sounds of a piano and strings. It sounded like the ones he heard decades ago; the age when music was appraised by its meaning, instead of how hard the drums were beating. He found it quite peculiar, the fickleness of humans. The different sets of values and ideals, in each passing age and era, he had lived long enough to know so. The human heart changes so easily, and change was something he distrusts.

 

Something always brings me back to you.
It never takes too long.
No matter what I say or do
I'll still feel you here 'til the moment I'm gone.

You hold me without touch.
You keep me without chains.
I never wanted anything so much
Than to drown in your love and not feel your rain.

 

He laughed, the corners of his mouth twitching slightly upwards, though he found nothing funny about it at all. A song made by a human reflected the words his entire being echoes out. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't stay away. He was a captive bound by non-existent chains. He was a prisoner, but he never once thought of being free. He wondered if he was turning human but quickly dismissed the thought, finding it quite preposterous and revolting.

 

A sliver of a memory he had of her resurfaced in his mind.

 

 

It was a battlefield. The barren, desolate wasteland bathed in blood as bodies lay on the ground, cold and lifeless. Swords of all kinds stood stuck on the land, as if they were still fighting for their former masters. The sky was thick with smoke, soot, and ash. The acrid smell of burning corpses permeates the air. In the middle of the still chaos that surrounded this theater of war was where they stood, him and her, in each other’s tight embrace. They were immaculate, not even a trace of blood or dirt on their clothes.

 

The wind was billowing westwards, carrying her hair to that direction. Even with the horrid scenery of bloodshed and bedlam, it was breathtaking still. The man had his whole face was hidden within a hood, as he let her bury her face onto his broad chest. His face was void of emotion, but deep inside, turmoil was coursing through him.

 

“Hey, Jongin,” she whispered. She was the only one who he had allowed to call him by his real name. He had no regrets; his name on her lips was beautiful in his ears. “Please be there for me until the end.”

 

There was a silent determination in her voice. It was a premonition, something was happening and they both know what it is that will transpire.

 

“If I were to die,” she grasped the hem of his cloak like it was a lifeline, tightening her hold. Her tone was accepting and at the same time defeated. “I want you to be the one who frees me.”

 

“Be the one to kill me,” her voice rung out in a ghastly whisper, the howling wind serving as a melancholic interlude to her silence.

 

 He didn’t flinch even once at her words, and his silver-gray eyes were still as steady as the sea. Killing is nothing to him for he had existed solely to carry out that act. Had. He ran his hand through her hair, restraining a lock of it from the relentless winds. He silently hoped that he could also entrap her from everything that threatens her existence with a swipe of his hand. But he knew he has no power to do so. He was resolute, that he would become stronger for this woman cradled in his arms so fragile that a single mistake would tear her to pieces.

 

He wishes to protect that fragility.

 

“I will never do anything to hurt you,” was his reply. Her round eyes became rounder in shock as she watched him stand up and unsheath his broadsword in front of her.

 

His cloaked figure was haunting, dark fabric flowing and cold eyes pierced right through her.

 

“But that is hypothetical.” She closed her eyes shut, steeling herself for the blow that will end her life.

 

But the sound of steel cutting through flesh didn’t come. The man knelt in front of her with a thud, meeting her in eye level.

 

“I will protect you.” He cupped his hands on her face. It was for a fraction of a second that felt like eternity. It was the kind of eternity that they both longed for. When she was back to her senses, the cloaked man was already stalking away.

 

“Wait!” He stopped abruptly at his heels. She was now kneeling on the soft ground, her whole body trembling.

 

“I swear upon this sword: I will not betray you.”

 

“Jongin!” She reached out, her fingers outstretched, but her hands caught nothing but air.

 

 

 

Something always brings me back to you.
It never takes too long.

 

The song ended, the last note from the piano quivering into a fade, the silence that follows seemed like a continuation to the song.

 

His eyes suddenly jerked open, pupils dilating at a realization. He felt it.

 

He felt it.

 

When she comes back, he knew he would immediately feel it deep within himself. It brought a rush of adrenaline coursing through his body as he bolted upright, every nerve, every cell of his body tingling in anticipation. There was a sense of desperation and longing in his actions, and he needs to leave right now. With inhuman grace, he went for the door, turning it forcibly and saw that someone was about to knock on the wooden surface.

 

“Kai. She’s ̶̶ ” the tall man with elven ears was surprised to see him outside and he was trying to tell him the news but was immediately cut off.

 

“ ̶̶ back. She has awakened. I know. Get out of my way.” He shoved the human obstruction and half-ran down the stairs. In a few seconds, he was already gone.

 

“Typical Kai.” He breathed a sigh as he pulled out his cell phone from his dress pants and called for his his partner.

 

 

 

 


Last edited: 04/25/14

Comments are very much appreciated!