It's Her

First Love

 
 

Youngjae was surely happy to finally be in New York again. Crowded streets, and busy people...Youngjae didn't know why he found so much beauty in this city. Last time he was here, he would enjoy taking walks in the park by himself. I guess you could say, he loves the tranquility.

Youngjae was moving to New York with his best friend, Daehyun. He and Daehyun have known each other since they were little, and have been best friends ever since. For them dorming together, it wasn't much of a surprise to everyone. Youngjae has always dreamed of living in the big city and for him to finally do so, it made him excited.

Youngjae stared out his window as they were driving through the city. As they came to a stop, something caught his eyes. Still looking out the window, he saw a girl staring directly at him through the glass.
"Um..hey hyung, these windows are tinted, right?"
"Yeah."
"And no one can see through them...right?"
"Of course they can't Youngjae, why are you asking this?"

For some strange reason, Youngjae couldn't pull his eyes away from looking at this girl.
He studied her features. She was petite. Her face frame is small, dark hair, a cute nose, slightly puffed cheeks, and fair skin.
It would be a lie if he didn't find this girl pretty. 

"Oh well there's just this girl who..."
Youngjae felt himself stare at her even longer.
"...she keeps looking at me from out the window and..I don't know why but.."
Youngjae hesistated a little to speak again.
"but it feels like..like she's looking at me and.."
Daehyun laughed a little.
"These windows are tinted Youngjae, no one can see you."
"Haha..yeah...I guess you're right."

This stop was longer than Youngjae expected, but finally the street light turned green. The distance between Youngjae and the girl, grew wider and wider. As soon as the car started moving again, a little rush of sadness came to him.

Youngjae thought to himself.
You're never going to see her again, Youngjae...never. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Daehyun looked over at Youngjae while driving, and noticed he look distracted, like something with occupying his mind with thoughts.
Daehyun punched his arm.
"Hey! What's up with you? You look so deep in thought."
"That hurt! Sheesh." Youngjae softly rubbed his arm.
"Nothing's up, it's just that girl..."
Daehyun rolled his eyes.
"Youngjae please, you probably thought she was pretty that's why you can't stop thinking about her.
You can't possibly like someone you never met or spoken to."

Youngjae looked down at his hands.
Daehyun spoke again.
"And besides...New York is a big city. It'd be impossible for you to see her again."
Youngjae's voice was softer.

"Yeah...I guess you're right."

A few moments of silence filled the air.
Daehyun slightly coughing a little to break the air.
"So...why don't we go get a little drink, huh?"
"Where to?"
Daehyun shifted in his chair a little.
"Well..New York's cafe places are pretty darn good...how bout that?"
"Yeah sure, that's fine. Which cafe?"
Daehyun smiled.
"I know a place."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"We're here."
Youngjae slowly stepped out of the car, staring at the small cafe place.
"Starbucks?"
"Yup. Have you been here before?"
"I think so. Probably when I was in America last time."
"Ah, I see."

The two boys stepped into the cafe and the smell of freshly brewed coffee greeted the both of them.
"Do you want to order first or?..."
"Oh no it's okay...I'm still deciding on what I want."
Daehyun gave Youngjae a small smile before turning back to the cashier.

Youngjae's eyes looked around the whole cafe. People chatting & enjoying their drinks, the calming indie music
playing through the speakers, and the delicious smell of hot chocolate being made.

"Next please." The soft female voice knocked Youngjae out from his thoughts.

He got out his wallet to search for his credit card, not bothering to look up at the cashier in front of him.
"How may I help you sir?"
Still looking down, Youngjae answered back to the lady.
"Yes, I would like a..." Then he looked up.
Youngjae froze.

It was her.
The girl, Youngjae couldn't stop thinking about.
The girl, whose image wouldn't disappear from his head.
It was her.
In front of him.
The girl from the stoplight.