Chapter 5: The Road Less Travelled By

Why Did it Take So Long to Find Me?

When I came to my senses I was in Mr. Albert's car. I was just exhausted but strangely refreshed. I felt so light. The burden that I was carrying on my back had fallen. It tumbled to the ground and I was free. For the first time in 25 years I was free.

    I turned to my boss who asked if I was ok. I nodded.

- Now tell me what happened.

I did and received a round of applause at the end. Yeah man!! That guy beside me was someone I met for the first time.

- I have a question. Can I ask?

- Sure; I replied.

- The strength you summoned before going in; was it the song?!

I stared at the busy street of London for a moment then turned to boss again.

- Yes and no

- How come?

- The song itself gives me the energy I need everyday yes. But the gigantic strength that I had wasn't because of the song itself

- What was the reason then?

I smiled. Yes my girl. He'll regret taking your side now. He'll pull you out of the project and send you to some mental institution. Go ahead and tell him. Give it a try Miss Simple.

- It's because of one of the singers.

He glared

- One of the singers of that band is my strength source; or more precisely; my life's.

   While Mr. Adams stared at me I reclined in my seat and closed my eyes. I'll just hear the lecture with eyes closed . No lectures were given and my boss simply drove. Waa!! He totally lost it. Totally.

    Mr Albert drove me home. I unfastened my seat belt and I was about to descend when I felt my arm being held. I turned round. What's wrong with Mr Albert I died to know.

- Chohwa….

- Yes?

- You have no thoughts of coming back after you leave; right?!

 

Bloody hell the atmosphere!! The gaze!! The grip!!!

Of course I'm not coming back. Are you kidding me? Do you think I'd have a chance to get out of here and come back? Not on my dead body.

 

- I haven't thought about that yet.

 바보 바보 바보

     Boss loosened the grip. I thanked him and went inside. I threw my backpack across the room and fell down but couldn't cry. That was the craziest day ever and I couldn't cry. All my feelings and emotions seemed to freeze at that moment. I kept staring at Kangin's photo until I fell asleep.

***

     Kangin singing!! Yaaa!! What a dream!! I don't want to wake up.

Wait!! That isn't a dream. That's my mobile phone ringing. I picked it up with my usual 여보세요.

- Hopeless hopeless!! You're hopeless my friend hopeless!!

- Robert!!!!!!

Robert; my soul mate; the friend I met through a therapeutic session and since then became my other half; a talented sculptor who rarely leaves his workshop or picks his phone; Robert.

- Yaaaa!!!! What do you think you're doing not calling me for three weeks?! Where are you now?

- I'm in London; our café.

- What? Hey!!! Sit still and don't move. I'll be on my way

- I don't think you have that luxury though. Mr Boss will be calling you in any minute.

Holy cow!! I looked at the clock and I was late; again.

- Rob I'll call you later. Don't move

The last thing I heard was his laugh.

    I drove my car like crazy. On the way I thought of Robert; how my life would've been if it wasn't for him and... Oh!! How would I break the news of leaving?!!! I'll just jump into the Thames and die. Let's just die.

Once I reached work I was directed to the boss's office. I entered with a smile but was received with a nod. Here goes the boss I know.

- Please sit down

Which I was going to do anyway

- These are the documents you need to fill

And he handed me a pile of papers

- And these that you need to study

And handed me another

- While this is…

I was getting ready for another pile when I saw the passport

- What? What is this doing here?

- I received a package this morning. The passport and these documents were in it

And I got the pile I expected

- Do you have any idea who sent them?

I shrugged my shoulders

- This is the last thing I'll give you today

And he handed me the plane ticket. Exactly one week afterwards; 9 A.M flight to Seoul.

    I think my eyes filled up but I was not sure. I bowed to my boss and turned to leave. Before I left I turned back. Boss was looking through his papers

- Sir

He raised his eyes

- Can I do one last thing?

- What?

- Would you please stand up?

     Unlike him he did without further questions. I ran and hugged him. I didn't know how to express my gratefulness then. That was the only language I knew. I hugged him tight and cried. I cried for the first time in a long while. I couldn't cry the day before but I cried into Mr Albert's arms. I cried till I could cry no more. Then I bowed again and left.

 

If I knew then…..

*****

     I left instantly to finish my paper work and of course to meet Robert first. I had so many thoughts on my mind I could think of none; until I perceived Rob. Everything became clear; Rob was there.

    Rob; Rob was 20 cm taller than me. I'm not short though. He was the type of guy who would major in acting or modelling. But he just had eyes of sculpting and he did the right thing; I think.

     Here comes the lively Chohwa leaving the crying Chohwa in Mr Albert's office. We always caused scenes in that café. We called it our café because we always met there and had our most memorable moments there. So in order to preserve our tradition and being so excited I ran into the café flinging the door open and screamed:

- Robert

He opened his arms and with a broad smile shouted back:

 - Jump

And I did

After I-hate-you-why-didn't-you-call-me conversation, drinking coffee and laughing hysterically at any and every thing Rob was suddenly quiet. He kept staring at me then shaking his head. I knew he knew. He was my soul mate and of course he would have felt something.

- Chohwa; something is up; a good thing?

I nodded

- If it's a good thing it's related to one of two; Literature or Korea. Which one?

I raised two fingers

- Both???

I nodded again

- WOW!! I was away for three weeks only and look at her!!

I pinched him. Why would he leave me for three weeks 나쁜넘?!!

He faced me and held my hands

- Details; skip none

- Rob

- mm

- You'll hate me if I tell you

- You're going to Korea

      He uttered it. His voice was shaking and he looked at me with eyes laden with loneliness. Rob had only me. On that big planet Rob had only me and I was about to leave him. That was written all over his face; I have only you.

     He let my hands drop and looked the other way. He asked no details. He didn't even ask about my dad. He simply said:

- Go. Kangin is there after all.

And he left. Rob left without looking back once and I couldn't move an inch. What would I say?!

After all I had to take the road less travelled by…