Chapter 3: ''Unlock Your Voice''!!

Why Did it Take So Long to Find Me?

      The pleasant surprise had taken me ten or so minutes. Out of my excitement the challenges I was about to face started flashing in my mind. The language barrier had always been an obstacle for me. Though I spoke Korean with my mother up till I was 11 and she went back to Korea, and despite never putting it aside and always using it to keep it alive I still hesitated whenever I met a native-speaker. I always felt like I was going to make mistakes and that was going to hurt my pride and whatnot. The second and scarier challenge was my father; dad

    I trapped myself into thinking how I could break the news to him. Should I just travel without informing him? Then I laughed to myself. Don't you remember the last time you tried that? Somehow he managed to know and dragged you from the airport! I still don't know how he knew by the way. I managed to live on my own after a bloody fight but I never managed to escape his authority. No way would I be able to leave without his knowledge. Let's think of other options smarty head.

    Dad might let me go but not to Korea. That would be almost impossible. Despair started crawling to me while I sat and stared blankly outside the window. Then a voice broke my meditations:

- Dad thoughts?

OMO!! Boss?!

- Kind of.

- Got no way to inform him?

I nodded

- Shall I help you?

Holy Cow!!! What's wrong with boss today? Why would he help me? Is he seriously trying to drown Adams and Co.? If dad moves a finger the company might really close down? What is boss thinking?

I shook my head, fiercely.

- Chohwa...

- Sir... I'm thankful for your intentions but I won't drag the company into this. Not I

He laughed; like... Laughed... A laugh that made sound... you know... a laugh... something Mr. Adams's never done; not in front of me at least.

- Did you just laugh sir?

He ignored my question and got all serious again. Here we go I thought.

- Are you that scared of him; your dad?

I forced a smile. You don't know boss. Nobody knows; what kind of person father is. Thirteen years have passed since my parents' divorce and I haven't heard of mom. Dad did everything he could to make me lose contact. That teenager couldn't do anything but cry and despair. And this woman doesn't care much; anymore. I had thoughts about looking for mom when I go to Korea but these thoughts left. I'm not even sure if I have any affection left for her. I'm sure it's the same for mom. Dad; dad had always considered everyone under his power as a possession and I was his favourite piece; though I gave him hell always hiding or getting lost. I was that scared. I wasn't scared of being hit; no. Father wasn't the kind of person who'd hit. He's as cold as ice. He just throws daggers of words. What I was afraid of was the look in his eyes, the smirk on his face, the way he'd lean on the desk and look you in the eye, the business tone he uses, and the word: dear daughter. After that dear daughter comes all what I don't want to hear; all that I'm scared of. No. I won't meet dad. And... No matter how painful it felt; I'd just forget about Korea, like I'd been doing for the last ten years.

I shrugged my shoulders and smiled. I saw my decision reflected on Mr. Albert's face. He glared at me for seconds then grabbed my hand and started walking. I tried to let go asking him where were we going but he simply dragged me along. It was shocking enough to see boss acting that way but he pushed me into the car and drove away. After driving a distance he looked at me. He was all composed again... Waa; 완전 사이코다!!

- So, could you tell me now where are we heading?

- We're going to unlock your voice. '' You have to raise your voice in order to find it.''

No way!!!  말도 안돼!! That was the quote I hung in my car from my favourite article Unlock Your Voice. What a coincidence!! Did we like the same article? Was boss a pro-feminist by any chance?

 

- Boss wait; before you explain where exactly are we going, do you like Mary Morris? Or simply this specific article?!

 

Again that stare and again that smile then he said:

 

- We've arrived.

 

I turned and saw my dad's company in front of us. I clung to the car seat. I would never go in there.

Mr. Adams opened the car door and pulled me out. I shook my head over and over then started biting my nails. I was so scared and nervous I didn't notice the hand that grasped my hand and moved me. I turned to my boss astonished. He said smiling;

 

- I'll be there beside you so don't worry. What you're scared of isn't your dad but yourself. We're going in there to break your fears and unlock your voice.

My fingers interlocked in his; we went in.

********************************************************