Chapter 13

If the Heart Fails
XIII

Maybe it's my stupid brain or maybe my foolish heart. I don't know what caused it. All I know is, I'm standing in front of Max with my lips quivering. Onew was beside me, holding my hand and squeezing it tight as words flew out of his mouth. I don't know how Onew made me agree to this stupid plan that he made up but here I am. Onew introduced me as his girlfriend and guess what, Max doesn't look so thrilled about it.

I know that Onew's idea is completely stupid and it's also kinda off. I mean, he said that the reason for all this is to make Max jealous and to make her realize that she had been wrong and she needs to change her ways. So, the proper way to do that is to talk to her properly, right? You shouldn't use a person. You shouldn't correct someone's wrong doing by another wrong doing. But I agreed so call me an idiot, I don't care.

"Ok, you two are going out. Alright, what's your whole point of going here?" said Max bluntly as she eyed us from head to toe.

I looked down, feeling embarrassed. She doesn't seem to care even if Onew has a new girlfriend or not.

"N-nothing. I just want to have proper closure," said Onew when he finally regained his composure.

Max and Onew had a staring contest for a while. They stayed like that for the longest time as if they're trying to see who snaps first. I shifted my weight from foot to foot, getting really impatient. As if Max saw my internal struggle, she clicks her tongue and crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"Do you have anything else to say?" she said.

"Uh...that's it," said Onew.

I mentally face-palmed myself at what Onew said. It sounds really stupid...

"Well, what are you waiting for? Are you expecting me to wail and beg for you to not leave me? Are you expecting me to get jealous? Well, you're wasting your time cause not a single drop of tear will be dropped tonight! I'm an understanding girl so just go now. If you're happy with each other then so be it. Bye, Onew."

With that, the wooden door was slammed on our faces. I sighed and looked at Onew with a frown on myself. He looked back with an apologetic look.

"I'm sorry, I know it's stupid," said Onew, fiddling with the hem of his shirt.

I shook my head with a smile as I started to walk away from Max's front porch. Onew caught up with me after taking a few steps and he grabbed my wrist.

"_, did I look stupid?" said Onew.

I scoffed and chuckled mockingly. Onew pouted as we walked towards my house.

"No, actually you look really good. You look really smart and not desperate," I said.

"Really?! I did that good? Well, what can I say, I'm an-"

"Actually, I'm being sarcastic, oppa. You know, when you say something that's actually the opposite of the truth when you're trying to humor someone?"

Onew's face fell and his pout returned.

"_, did I really look that stupid?" asked Onew.

"I don't know. Pretty much. Yeah."

"I'm sorry for using you, . But I promise you. We'll amount to something. You're actually helping me fix my relationship," said Onew.

"Oppa, I don't have any problem with you using me."

Liar.

"But my point is, don't you think you should just talk to her properly?"

You should talk to her properly because being your fake girlfriend is really a hard blow to my feelings.

Onew nodded and promised that he'll think about it before we parted that night. Admiration, is it supposed to hurt like this?

It's not admiration, _, it's growing to something more like love.