It Had To Be You

It Had To Be You

This story was made in one go. It's not edited or beta-ed. Expect some gramatical errors. If any of you readers have any question, feel free to ask in the comment box. :).

............ .................... ......................... ........................ 

Everyone, and it means literally everyone in the neighbourhood know who Kris Wu was. The neighbourhood we’re talking about was the kind of neighbourhood that was a big education institution complete with its dorm and all the facility that cater to the heirs of the riches internationally situated on the outskirt of a city. Now Kris Wu was one of the heirs who have been a student in the said institute since grade one and now in his last year of high school. He’s your typical incrowd jock who’s the captain of the basketball team three years in a row and the usual handsome guy that every girl fall to and every guy would like to be friends with. What makes Kris Wu different with the usual incrowd jock stereotype was that unlike the usual cocky bastard kind of attitude, he had the opposite personality, much to the amazement of the whole neighbourhood population.

First on the list was that unlike the typical jock that was worshipped by his fans and hated by the rest, in Kris’s situation, nobody could hate him. Simply because he doesn’t have a single drop of snobbish blood in his veins. He’s cocky alright, sometimes. He’s entitled to it but he’s not a bastard and definitely not a snob. He has friends in the basketball team, sits in the centre table that’s reserved for the elites in the cafeteria and have the whole girls in most of the cliques queuing to be his girlfriend. But he also friends with that boy from the choir which name was Byun Baekhyun that wore eyeliner like it’s his birthmark and the two besties from the soccer team who everyone think were elementary school boys named Lu Han and Kim Minseok that could hit and kick like a pro taekwondo athletes. He’s cousins with the most hipster-ish boy in the whole school, whose name was Tao, who wield a wushu stick like a cheerleader with their pompom and who people are kind of weary to get close to, blame it to his dark deep eye bags the leopard print lover boy always said.

And unlike any jocks around; this's the second on the list, Kris Wu didn't have a big mouth. He seldom speaks when it’s not really necessary, never sprouted nonsense whatsoever and definitely cannot make a joke. His joke, and humor altogether was a failure and more often than not, he’s the of the jokes in his closest circle of friends, who consists of the ones mentioned above and few others who're as strange and haven’t been mentioned yet. His usual words were short and when he does say quite a long sentence, it’s usually of his attempt in making a joke or doing something cool; in his opinion of course, but would always fall flat in the eyes of others. But it’s okay, because his lack of words made him into the perfect image of that-cool-stoic-guy-that-is-oh-so-gorgeous-with-his-deep-dark-eyes-and-sharp-jaws-and-just-wait-to-be-taken to all of his admirers. He’s a man of few words, indeed.

The third on the list was the one that people pay most attention to. Because most people couldn’t phantom why this thing could possibly happened and still going on and seems nothing can ended it. It’s about his friendship. No not about his friendship with all the elites in the school and not with his set of mix and match closer than the elites friends. But his friendship with this one particular person. The only person who has been his bestfriend way before they entered the insititute; they were friends practically since diapers. The person who's the only one who call him with his birth name; which everyone knew as a red light fact to ever be mentioned, except if it’s mentioned by this said person. This person was known to be one from the riches and important too, just like Kris, but they couldn’t be more different.

The name of the said person was Park Chanyeol. The tall and mostly taller than other people Park Chanyeol. Who has wide smile that really literally stretched from one side of cheek to the other. Park Chanyeol who's not a jock and not as athletic like Kris but still as famous because really, one simply cannot be Kris Wu’s best friend without being known to the entire neighbourhood. Park Chanyeol who entered the institute together with Kris Wu and were inseperable in every class and literally glued to each other by the hip. Park Chanyeol who made Kris Wu lost his appetite for a week when they started living in the institute in different dorms in seventh grade. Park Chanyeol who liked beat boxing and rapping and has more swag that look actually cool that it make all of Kris suaveness looks like he’s trying a little too hard to have a swag on. Park Chanyeol who’s almost as tall as Kris and like the only one in their peers that doesn’t have to crane their neck up when talking to the captain.

The Park Chanyeol, who’s most definitely, a girl.

Yes, Park Chanyeol was a girl. A Female. A drop dead gorgeous one too with her long midnight hair that turned flaming fiery when they entered the second year of high school and never gone back to dark, her long long slim legs with slimmer waist but a nice curve on the hips that makes her not like those anorexic models out there, her big beautiful eyes, her soft pouty lips and D cup chest.  But this isn’t the point. The point is that Kris Wu and Park Chanyeol are the best of friends and basically Siamese twins because you just wouldn’t see one without the other, right since they first stepped out of the same limousine when they first came to the school ground.

The Parks and the Wus had been business partners since few generations ago and one or two names of each household married each other and resulted in few corporate mergers and closer acquaintances. Neither Kris nor Chanyeol remember how their first meeting was because they were babies when it happened. Kris’s first memory of Chanyeol was of them sitting on the rug of his play room and hitting at each other with their own rubber hammers. Kris didn’t remember who cried. Although Chanyeol always said; “I think I remember that we both cried but you howled with snot all over your face first.”

They were homeschooled together until it’s time for them to enter elementary school, that’s when they start going to the institute to study. Kris’s reaction when he saw that their uniforms were different was to ask why Chanyeol didn’t wear shorts like him. That was the first time Kris realized that there are two kind of human species, a male and female and Chanyeol is the same as his mother, while he’s the same as his father is the explanation.

They were always together, wherever they go. Nothing can separate them, not even when they both were in their pre-tweens age when boys and girls are supposed to be disgusted and stay away to prevent from getting cooties from each other. Kris didn’t want to stay away from Chanyeol, he didn’t care when the boys jeered at him from still coming to school together and then sit next to each other in classes and while eating their lunch. He’d just say; “She’s Chanyeol. She’s not like those other girls.” While Chanyeol herself couldn’t care less with all what’s happening around them as long as she got the lollipop that Kris always gave her every morning and the boy helping her with her homeworks later on in his or her mansions after school.

They finally sort of start living not within each other pocket when they had to start living in the institute. Kris got a boarding room in the boy’s dorm building while Chanyeol’s in the girl’s. The two dormitories are located on each side of the huge facility and with strict rule that the other gender is not allowed to enter the other dorm. So Kris and Chanyeol only saw each other in classes and on break times and later at the library to do their homework.

This marked the time when both of them noticed the other people around them and paid more attention to their surroundings. Kris started hanging out more with other students beside Chanyeol and vice versa. And both had their own groups of ‘close friends’.

...

The last year of high school started just like the years before and nothing in the school dynamic had ever change except for the faces of the student and some of the teachers. The classes still the same and so were the rules.

Kris and Chanyeol were still joined by the hips most of the times and the times they were not were like seconds in between.

Kris never ran out of girls that chase him. And each of those girls still thought that she’s the one for Kris. The one who would end up be his girlfriend for good, out of high school to college and finally, to matrimony. But alas, none have succeeded so far. It’s a no brainer to anyone that knew Kris that rule number one to be in Kris good grace is: don’t ever ever ever question his relationship with Chanyeol. A thing that his ex girlfriends couldn’t stop themselves from doing. Hence the break up few minutes later.

This usually made Kris go throwing pebbles on Chanyeol’s dorm window and the both of them went for ice cream dates and movie dates and bicycle dates to cheer Kris up after being disappointed by yet another girl that couldn’t live up to his expectation until the next girl arrived to try to get him and the cycle repeat.

Chanyeol never ran out of boys that chase her too. Most of her pursuers were from the music club members that she was the head of or the drama club members or any other artistic student that felt that Park Chanyeol was some kind of pretty dainty quiet damsel that needed to be rescued from the cage that was guarded by the evil mongrel that was Kris Wu. It’s no brainer to anyone that ever saw Chanyeol and Kris sat together that Kris was a possessive bastard of his friend. Every guy that ever pursue Chanyeol will face Kris’s way of ‘protecting her from harm' speech. Hence those boys retreat after few weeks being with her, claiming that she’s too good for them and sincerely hoping that she’d find a better person, someone who understand her well and able to protect her from any harm that may come her way.

Que Chanyeol’s confused stare that could melt every heart and then her gloomy aura after being dumped and of course she’d go to Kris to vent her heart out and que for the whole school to see and bear the display of Kris trying to cheer Chanyeol up by sticking by her even closer and even longer until the next boy arrived for her and the cycle repeat.

And que for that ex-boyfriend to transfer to another school.

Kris and Chanyeol had few double dates together which everytime it’s going to happen all their friends had warned them that it’s a recipe for disaster but they said it’s fine nothing will happen so off they went to a dinner or a movie the four of them and its Kris and Chanyeol sitting in the middle of their partners and eating from each other’s bowl of pop corn because Kris said Chanyeol’s popcorn have more butter than his while Chanyeol just let him be because that’s how it had always be. Which made their partners felt like the third and four wheels and decided to end the date early.

Cut the story short, everyone who met Kris and Chanyeol for the first time would think they were together after being introduced to them. And everyone who had known them for more than a day think that the both of them should be together. They better just be together to prevent other people misery. They must get together and just be done with it.

...

It’s that time of the year after mid semester where the weather was still cold but not frozenly so.

Last night there was a party in Kim Minseok’s house. Kim Minseok was the Football captain of their school and everybody know that his party was a must to attend.Being a jock that he was, Kris felt obligated to attend because Minseok was his close friend and he wouldn’t say no even if he tried. So he'd come and be a little drunk and got a hook up, if only to live up to his jock title.

On his way to be more than slightly tipsy, he found a gorgeous girl with a gorgeous body and wow those legs would be perfect around his hips. He talked to the girl, he thought he was, or he actually just landed face first on her lap he didn’t know. But he wasn’t drunk yet, he said. 

There were catcalls and whistles and what else when he was being pulled up and the girl’s hand are wrapped on his wrist and her smile was blinding and he sort of just glided in to kiss her there in front of everybody and more catcalls drummed into his ears and someone shoved him, and her too, and they went into a room and yes, Kris got laid. 

Morning come with his head felt like it had been ploughed by a truck.

Kris whimpered slowly and tried, really tried to go back to sleep so he didn’t have to open his eyes and face the hangover until it’s gone by itself.

A hand swept the hair on his forehead and go up through his head. It felt soothing and nice and familiar.

“Sssh, it’s okay. Go back to sleep.” The hand keep its ministration and Kris was glad it’s there and he almost fall back to sleep.

But no.

What the hell?!

He jumped up so fast he hit his back to the headboard and his head almost hit the person’s jaw.

Wrong. Many wrongs.

One, why was there someone on his bed in the morning after a hook up? He never stayed the night.

Two, he's not at home because he never brought any of his hook ups home. He must be not at home.

Three, why, in the hell the voice sound like Chanyeol’s voice????

“Aww Yifan, what the hell!?”

It’s Chanyeol. Right. WTF?!

He must looked super doped sitting there staring stupidly at his bestfriend silently. His bestfriend who’s only wearing; he gulped, barely nothing.

“A...fgkhfdgh” Not so smart but yeah.

Chanyeol leaned forward worriedly, “Are you okay?”

Kris automatically leaned back and jfc did she not notice that she practically wasn’t wearing anything?! That bra wasn’t covering enough. And were those hickeys he was seeing?

“You’re hungover. Wait a sec, I’ll get you something.”

Kris managed some gibberish when she made a motion of getting out of bed. She turned back to him, “What? You’re making me more worry. You definitely don’t look all right. Should I call a doctor?”

“No!” Kris blurted loudly.

“Okay.” Chanyeol looked at him in concern.

After few seconds passed in silence, she sighed. “I’m going to find some aspirin or advil for you.” And this time she was out of the bed in a flash and Kris saw that she wore a tiny lacy g-string beside the half cup of her tiny lacy bra and he whimpered again.

She looked healthy and shiny and not hungover at all. And so so beautiful.

She smiled at him and chuckled. And he realized that he had said it out loud. God Forbid!

“No I’m not hungover. I didn’t drink much last night. And you know I can drink better than you.” She said while putting on his shirt from the night before.

Kris blinked and blinked again. She looked good with his shirt, she always was.

“Go lay down. I’m gonna be back in a minute.” She said and walked to the door.

“No.” He blurted again. Why can’t he think clearly and say something smart at this kind of moment?

This time Chanyeol rolled her eyes and opened the door.

“Don’t go!” He said louder. See?!

Chanyeol clucked her tongue and turned to step out of the room. Of course, when did she ever listen to him? “Oh look, apparently I don’t have to go far.” There was a trolley tray in front of the door. With an aluminium dome covering what’s on the tray. She grabbed the handle and pulled the trolley inside.

“Nice hospitality Minseok has here.” She commented and brought the trolley beside the bed.

Kris looked around the room for the first time and just now confirmed that oh yes, he's not in his room. His headache was still drumming on his skull and his mouth felt like he just ate sand. But there’s an urgent issue here. He cleared his throat nervously.

Before he could say anything, Chanyeol hold out a glass of water under his nose and a pill on her other hand. He looked at her silently.

“Drink it. We’ll talk after your head is better.”

Kris drank without complaint and gave the glass back to her. “Do we... like, have to?” He closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. Yay for full coherent sentence.

 “Do you not want to?” She pulled the dome up and her eyes brightened seeing what’s on the tray. She took a strawberry and plucked it into . 

Kris tried to think of what he wanted to say. What he needed to say. What he have to say. This was Chanyeol for God sake. She wasn’t any other girl that he could have a one night stand with and forget the next day.

“We... Did we? How?” He’s back to unable to form a sentence. Maybe the advil wasn’t fully working yet.

Chanyeol brought a plate filled with small sandwiches and sat crossed legged in front of Kris. It’s a normal position for them and spontaneously, Kris pulled his legs away so she could sit closer. She; as it was her habit, forked some food and brought it to his mouth to take.

Kris swallowed dryly before opened his mouth to take the food.

“You came on to me.” Chanyeol said slowly. She nodded when he start chewing and took a bite herself. “I was kinda surprised. You never gave any sign that you find me attractive before but,” She shrugged, “You looked hot so, yeah.” She smiled her wide smile and gave him another bite.

Kris held the urge to facepalm. OMG! He starting to remember what happened.

Eventhough Kris was not as heavyweight as Chanyeol’s he’s the kind of drunk that would remember what happened on the next day no matter how plastered he was the night before. So now the memories were starting to come back to him.

This time he facepalmed for real. “OMG!” He said with feeling.

Chanyeol’s laughed boomed inside the room and she put the plate on the bed beside them as she folded her body and keep on laughing.

“How could you laugh about this?!” Kris stared at her incredulously. “We just.. we...last night we...”

Chanyeol wiped her eyes and leaned closer to Kris, “Repeat after me. We. Had. . Last. Night.”

Kris stared at her dark eyes and her smooth skin and her soft lips and under her chin where her long neck was covered with lovebites from him. Yeah, lovebites.

He cleared his throat again and brought his hands to hold her head in front of him. “No.”

“Awww Yifan it’s not a big,”

“No we didn’t have last night.” He said stubbornly.

“You know denial is not just a river...” She shook her head to get out of his hold.

“We made love.”

Chanyeol stop struggling and stared at Kris wide eyed.

He always knew how to shut her up. “Say it after me Yeorri ah; You and I, We.Made.Love.Last.Night.”

Chanyeol didn’t say anything. She sat there with slightly opened and her glistening eyes.

It made Kris panicked though. “Oh my God don’t you dare cry.” He pulled her to him and held her to his chest. “Now who’s in denial?” He rubbed her back softly as she sniffed and wound her arms onto his waist and he could feel her trying to hit his back but she’s holding on. That’s what mattered.

“Shh, it’s okay.” He’s the one who uttered the words now. It’s always like this between them. One moment she was the one who’s cheering him and the next moment he’s the one trying to calm her.

“I’m not denying anything,” Her voice is muffled but he could her clearly. “You’re the one who didn’t remember what happened right away and act as if what we did was a mistake.”

Kris smiled sheepishly and pulled her to face him again. “I’m sorry. You know how I am when I’m hungover. I was surprised that’s all. But I remembered everything. So no, I’m not denying what happened either."

She rubbed at her eyes cutely and stuck her tongue out at him.

“So cute.” He chuckled and kissed her nose.

She hit his chest and pulled up his shirt, the one she was wearing to wipe off the snot off her nose. She rolled her eyes at him then.

Kris's eyes twitched narrowingly at her attitude. “That’s not very nice. It’s dirty now. What should I wear to go home later?”

“Why do you think I wear your shirt? You tore mine last night. How do I go home later if not using yours?” She snorted.”But yeah, it’s dirty now.” She pouted.

“Well, we don’t have clothes to go home to now.” He said flatly.

“And it’s your fault.” She deadpanned.

Kris tugged at his shirt, “Take it off now and we’re even.”

“How’s that even...” She started.

Kris leaned forward and latched his lips to hers.

Oh.

The shirt was on the floor in a second.

And the plate on the bed almost, almost got kicked.

 

Fin~