Uncertainty

The Grass is Greener on the Other Side

Beep, beep, beep, beep. 

My alarm clock blared in my ears, screaming at me to get out of bed and get ready for school. Groaning, I rolled over and hit snooze. There was a light knock at my door, "Ren, honey, are you up?" My mothers sweet voice called from the other side. 

"Mmhmm." I pulled the covers over my head and drifted back to sleep. I was jolted awake once again by my alarm clock, it was seven thirty. I sprung out of bed and threw on a pair of tight, ripped jeans and a loose v-neck T-shirt.

 Walking to the bathroom I remembered the events of yesterday. Being chased through town by Taecyeon and then the strange, handsome boy who had come to my rescue. Who was he? Why did he say he already knew my name? And did he really think I was pretty? Wait, what? No Ren, you can't think like that. You already have a boyfriend. 

Speaking of which, he was probably outside waiting for me. I threw my hair up in a loose ponytail, grabbed my backpack and ran out the door. 

"Hey babe" my boyfriend, Minhyun, said, placing a kiss on my lips. 

"Minhyun! Someone might see us!" I giggled, looking around to make sure my neighbors weren't out.

"Who cares? I love you and I should be able to show it anytime I damn well please." 

"I know, but being gay is frowned upon around here."

Minhyun shrugged and took my hand in his, walking me to his car. He opened the door for me and I got in. Once he was behind the wheel I spoke, "you look extremely y today. What's with the eyeliner?" 

"Oh you like it? A friend of mine suggested it so I thought I'd give it a try and I think it looks pretty good." 

"Of course it does, you look amazing no matter what you do." I smiled up at him and grasped his hand in mine again, resting our intertwined fingers on the console. 

"Why didn't you call me last night?" 

"Oh, well, I umm..." I couldn't very we'll come out and say 'oh I'm sorry I was too busy being chased by the football captain and then got saved by some cute boy.' So I settled with "I had a lot of homework, I'm sorry." 

"Yeah well I was extremely last night. So your going to have to make it up to me somehow." 

"Your always !" I laughed, playfully slapping his shoulder. 

"Well of course I am! I mean with a boyfriend as hot as you, it's kinda hard not to be" Minhyun laughed. He looked like he was going to say something further but we had already pulled up to school.

"Can I come over tonight?" I asked Minhyun hopefully. 

"Of course you can babe! You should come over this weekend too, my parents are going to be out of town" he said, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively. 

"I'll see if I can" I said as I got out of his car and waited for him to come around so he could walk me to class.

"Umm actually babe I can't walk you to class today, I have a student government meeting I need to get to." 

"Oh, sure. That's fine, have fun. I'll see you later" I said, blowing him a kiss and heading to the main building where my class was. I was putting my books in my locker when I heard a familiar voice behind me.

"Hey, Ren." 

"Hi Jr" I turned to face him,"I knew you seemed familiar, now I know why. We go to school together."

"Congratulations, Sherlock" he replied in a sarcastic tone. "I saw you ride here with someone, was he your boyfriend?" Too shocked to respond, I opened and closed me mouth for several moments, trying to come up with something to say. 

"I d-don't know what you mean. Of course he's not my boyfriend" I turned away again, I could feel my cheeks burning with embarrassment. "I need to get to class" I said, rushing off as fast as I could. 

I was so grateful when the lunch bell rang. I headed straight to the cafeteria to get my food. I saw Minhyun already in line, talking to a boy in front of him. As I approached Minhyun I could see that he was typing something into his phone. "Oh hey Ren" Minhyun looked up at me in surprise, he slammed his phone shut and put it behind his back.

"Hey" I said, a quizzical expression on my face that was soon replaced with a smile when Minhyun discretely took my hand and squeezed it reassuringly. 

"This is Aron by the way, Aron this is my... friend, Ren. Is it okay if Aron eats with us today?" 

"Of course! I was thinking we could eat outside I the quad since it's so beautiful." 

"Sounds good ba- er, I mean Ren" Minhyun caught himself. The lunch lady gave him a skeptical look before we moved on. Once we were out on the quad and seated comfortably under a huge oak, Minhyun spoke again,"by the way Ren, Aron knows about our umm... relationship."

"Oh, umm okay. And you cool with it?" I asked looking worriedly at Aron.

"Of course! Love is love, right?" 

I was still skeptical but now was not the time to get into an argument with Minhyun over why he'd felt like it was okay to tell this practical stranger about our secret relationship.  The rest of lunch passed by with casual conversation and forced laughter, well my laughter was forced at least. I couldn't help the jealousy and suspicion that seemed to be building up inside me. Every time Minhyun said something funny, Aron would laugh just a little too long. And he seemed to be just a little too touchy feely with Minhyun, patting his shoulder or tousling his hair whenever he got the chance. 

"Min, how do you know Aron?" I asked after school once we had made it back to his house. 

"He's in student government" he replied casually. 

"Mmm" we were cuddled up together on Minhyun's bed, my head resting on his chest and our limbs tangled together. "How long have you known him?" 

"Why are you so interested in Aron all of a sudden?" 

"Well you just seemed awfully friendly with each other and I just-" 

"You just what, Ren? You think I'm cheating on you or something?" Minhyun pulled away to look into my eyes. 

"No, of course not. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked." 

"Forget about it" Minhyun said, smiling. "By the way, it's date night for my parents, so they won't be back till really late." 

"Can't we just rent a movie and cuddle tonight?" 

"But babe" Minhyun pouted "we always just cuddle." 

"Ugh. Fine. But I'm topping."

"Of course" Min said, kissing my nose.