Run For Your Life

The Grass is Greener on the Other Side

It was a bright summer day. One of those beautiful days where the weather is warm and the birds are singing. In fact I would probably even say it was perfect, if I weren't running for my life. 

"You can't run forever Choi Min Ki!" I could hear their foot steps coming closer as they gained on me.

 There was probably a good reason I was in the situation I was in. After all, I don't think the captain of the football team appreciated having his lunch dumped all over him, even if it was by accident. But at that moment the only thing I could think of was making it safely to my house. I rounded the corner of an abandon warehouse, only a few blocks away from the gated community where I live, when I slammed into someone, knocking them to the ground. 

"Oh, sorry! Sorry, I'm so sorry!" I shouted over my shoulder as I kept running. In the quick second I looked over my shoulder I got a glimpse of the person I had knocked down. He had dark brown, wavy hair and seemed to be about seventeen. In a word, he was cute. But at the moment I didn't have time to ogle over him. 

I was now just a few yards away from the gate of my neighborhood, I could see my house in the distance. Suddenly there was a yank on the back of my shirt and I was slammed against the pavement. My vision was blurred for a moment but when it came back into focus I could see three ugly faces staring down at me, sneering. 

"No where to run now," growled the football captain, Taecyeon. His two other buddies were on either side of me, I was surrounded. 

"P-please guys, I-I don't want any trouble." 

"Oh neither do we" Taecyeon sneered. "We jus-" 

"Excellent! Then we don't have a problem here, do we?" The voice that had interrupted Taecyeon came from behind me. I whirled around, surprised to see the boy that I had previously knocked to the ground with my clumsiness, coming towards us.

"Who are you? His boyfriend? Mind your own business, ." 

"Well, seeing as I got knocked to the ground by that pretty blonde you were chasing, I think it became my business, didn't it?" This strange boy's voice was neither menacing nor kind, it was calm, completely under control. There was no fear in his eyes as he approached Taecyeon. "You should just back off now, before someone gets hurt." 

"It's three against one!" Taecyeon laughed, "the only that will be getting kicked is yours." 

"Alright then." The strange boy advanced with lightning speed, hitting the boy to my left square in the chest with his foot, sending him flying backward. The boy on my right stepped forward, fists up. The stranger advanced without hesitation, blocking his first swing and retaliating with his own blow to the nose, which resulted in a resounding crack. Teacyeon, however, was not so easily beaten. He pulled a switchblade out of his back pocket and gestured with his hand for the stranger to make his move. The boy was more than happy to oblige by kicking the knife out of Taecyeon's hand and bringing him down with his other foot. 

The brown haired boy now had Taecyeon pinned to the pavement with his  knee on his chest, fist raised just above his nose. "If you ever try to hurt anyone again" the boy panted, "I will kill you. Do you understand?" Taecyeon nodded feebly in response. "I said, do you understand?!" 

"Y-yes" Taecyeon sputtered. 

"Good. Now get out of here" the boy said, half dragging, half pulling Taecyeon up, and shoving him towards his buddies. The three boys ran as fast as they could until they were three blocks away and out of sight. 

"Are you alright?" I realized the boy was now addressing me so I nodded my head in response. "Good, I'll get going then." The strange boy started to turn and walk away. 

"Wait! What's your name?" 

"Kim Jonghyun, but everyone calls me Jr." 

"Well, um, thanks for saving me. I'm Choi Min Ki by the way, but I prefer Ren." 

"I know" Jr smiled,  "see yah around, Ren." 

 

A/N: so as promised I started writing a nu'est fic! Here's the first chapter, I know it's short buy I really just wanted to get this one started. I decided to do a Jren pairing because they are one of my OTPs and I haven't really been able to find any well written Jren fics out there. Hope you enjoy, please subscribe and leave comments!