Promises, Promises

Of Laughter, Friends, and Other Things That Get Us Through the Day (Part 4)

      "Good morning" I greet my husband as he comes out to the kitchen.

      "Morning," he grumbles, clearly only half awake, as he sit down at the small kitchen table.

      "Here" I nudge a full coffee cup to him, "I swear you and Ensu are related."  I about how dependent he is on coffee, just like Nichkhun's girlfriend.

      "She's the only one who truly understands the wonderful glory that is coffee."  He responds, slightly more awake now.

      "Hey, I like coffee!"  I laugh as I fake scold him.

      He simply laughs in to his cup, not bothering to respond.  His eyes look up from the cup he was studying only seconds ago.  They meet mine as we sit across from each other.

      "You want to talk?"  He carefully questions.  Neither of us want to fight, and the peace we found last night was tenuous at best.

      "Yeah," I agree, "let's talk."

      "Ok, so, you do want kids someday right?"  He begins.

      "Yes" I confidently answer, "I do want kids, someday, now is just not the right time."

       "When were you thinking about having kids?"  He's careful as he asks his questions.  He slips Aubrey a piece of toast as she begs.

      "Honestly, I'm not sure."  I shrug, knowing it's a cop out answer.

      "Come on _____, that's not an-" my phone begins to ring, "Don't answer that."  He warns me, as I look at the caller id.

      "It's work, Minjun."  I half explain as I pick up my phone.  They need me to come in to work for some final revisions.  I knew that would be the purpose of the call already, they call often on my days off for me to come in for a half day.  I tell them I'll be there soon and hang up.

      "You're going to leave now?"  My husband's obviously peeved.

      "I have to, they need me at work." I half plead, hoping he'll understand. "We'll pick up this conversation later, I promise." I grab my purse.  I was already dressed.

      "Yeah, sure." He scoffs, looking away.

      "What do you want me to do?"  I frustratedly inquire.

      "Nothing, just go to work." He defeatedly waves me off.

      "I promise, we'll pick up this conversation when I get home."  I try one last time.

      "Yeah, 'cause you're home so often" his comment cuts deep, "You just make your promises."  I can't stand his sarcastic comments any longer.  I leave.