Suffocating

Of Laughter, Friends, and Other Things That Get Us Through the Day (Part 4)

      "Well this was a nice surprise" I smile across the table at my husband who picked me up for lunch earlier.

      "I thought you could use the break."  He begins, "Plus you've been working longer hours than I have recently!" He laughs light heartedly, I can hear the smile in his voice.

      "Breaks are good." I nod in agreement as I hold my warm tea.  We're sitting at my friend Ashley's café enjoying the spring sun.

      "Can you believe we've been married for almost a year and a half?"  He asks looking up from his coffee.  His gaze warm, and welcoming.

      "It's pretty amazing, isn't it?"  I smile as I think about this last year.  "I wouldn't change a thing."

      "You wouldn’t?"  He raises an eyebrow at me in question.

      "Mm-mmm" I mumble a no as I sip my tea.

      "I would," he leans forward and takes both my hands, "let's have a baby."

      I suddenly find it hard to swallow, or even breathe.  It feels like I'm suffocating.  Then I finally am able to swallow, immediately regretting it.  The tea gets caught and I start to cough.

      "What!?" I spit out after nearly choking on my tea.  My husband caught me off guard as he brought up the subject of kids for the first time since we got married.

      "Oh, come on.  We've been together for years," he cutely coaxes me, "don't you think it's time we started on a family of our own."

      "We have our hands full enough with Aubrey, don't you think?"  I point out as I catch my breath.

      "Well, we'll just have to cut back from work a little." He shrugs as he drinks his coffee.  He looks away from me, "Plus, I think we do a good job with Aubrey.  She's always happy."

      "She's a dog, dogs are always happy to see their owners."  I laugh a little as I talk trying to keep the subject light before I start in, "But she's always at a dog sitter or home alone until late.  We can't take care of a baby the same way we take care of Aubrey." I give him my best 'you know I'm right' stare as I finish my short speech.

      "Come on _____, don't you want a kid? Don't you want to be a mom?"  He once again reaches across the table to take my hands.  He's using his best cute face.  It makes me giggle a little.

      "Minjun, you know I want to be a mom one day.  You know I want a family with you, but right now just isn't a good time," I try to convince him, try to persuade him to reconsider the timing. "We're still young, I haven't held my new position too long.  I don't want to jeopardize my career, and I don’t want you to have to compromise your job either.  Let's wait, at least for a little while longer."

      "It's always work first for you," Minjun's getting upset now, he's slipped in to his Daegu 'tough guy' accent. "There's never going to be a good time."

      "Look, I don't want to have this conversation here," I know it's going to become a heated topic, "So let's finish this at home later, ok?"  I pleadingly look at my husband.

      "Fine" he crossly responds turning his attention to his Americano.  Lunch passes by uncomfortably.