Chapter Four

Daddy's Girl


That afternoon, Martin was all strung out. He couldn’t eat, couldn’t sleep, couldn’t work on his business. All he could do was think about Yuri and how she looked in that black minidress. He wondered what could be the reason for her picking that dress? She wasn’t going to visit her aunt in that dress, was she? But Martin tried to snap out of his Yuri stupor for his son’s sake. Like any other bad person, Martin still had a good side to him and that good side was his love for Minho. Truth is, when Minho told him off like he was older than him, Martin felt really hurt because the son that he raised with love and care was the son that just gave him a lecture on how to deal with young women. It was insulting and degrading, but what could he do? He was in love with Yuri and he wanted it to go away for his family and business’ sake but somehow he didn’t want to because the feeling was so good.

She makes me feel very different. Very different from what I felt when I first met my wife. Yuri’s definitely not like Jane. The feeling for Yuri is stronger than the feeling for Jane. I feel that if Yuri and I should get married, I would never get tired of her the way I got tired of Jane. Yuri seems really pleasant and I think I will never throw her away, should she be mine.

A few hours and coffee mugs later, Martin heard his doorbell ring and jerked right out of his skin. The 48 year old businessman got on his feet and slowly peered through the window which was blocked by curtains. In order to get a better view of the person standing outside, he swept the curtains to the side and peered even more. To his great surprise, the person waiting for him outside was the person he never expected.

It was Yuri. The girl he desired for came to him. He didn’t have to walk around like a stalker waiting for his prey to come out. Martin slowly opened the door with hopes of greeting Yuri and yanking her by the wrist, slamming the door and locking it, taking her to his room which he once shared with his wife and have his way with her. erted thoughts began to fill his head once more but he remembered what his son said and he immediately dropped his fantasies out of love for Minho. He received Yuri at the door and saw that she had with her a box that contained a whole cake.

“I had nothing to do last night so I decided to bake something and drop by to give you this gift. Take it as a token of appreciation for your concern. I really appreciate the care you have for Minho and me. So this is for you, if you don’t mind.” Yuri handed the small box to Martin. Martin took it and checked the clear center which showed the cake’s flavor. Raspberry Cheesecake. His favorite.

“This is my favorite. How did you know?”

“Minho told me.”

“He did?”

“Yes. I talked to him on the phone earlier. I said I wanted to give you a small token of appreciation for, you know, approving and supporting our relationship. He was really hesitant at first but he told me what you liked. And so here it is. I hope you like it.” Yuri said with all humility. Martin found Yuri very different from all the other girls Minho had dated or had as friends. Those girls were shallow, prissy, and self-centered, caring more about their makeup and how they looked. Yuri wasn’t like them. Maybe it’s because Yuri had to work for herself and her aunt so Yuri knew a thing or two about hospitality and humility. She was wife-like if not mother like. So mother like that if she and Minho were to have a child right now, Martin would be glad instead of mad because he knew that his grandchild would be in good hands. But that’s not what he wanted. What he wanted was for Yuri to be his wife.

“I see.” Martin rubbed his chin and held the door open for Yuri. Yuri-who was in her waitress uniform-clasped her hands in front of her legs and waited for what Martin was about to say next. “Why don’t you come in for a while. Have you had breakfast? I see you haven’t. Well, Minho’s in school so I think I can do a little…” Martin felt his sinful side taking over him once again. He promised his son he wouldn’t and yet here he was brekaing that very promise. If we need you, we’ll tell you, rant Minho’s voice in Martin’s head.

Then he remembered something. Minho was in school. He was alone at home. The opportunity for him to get closer to Yuri was there. The very object of his affection and infatuation was there at his doorstep and here he was, straying away from temptation when he knew he wanted to give in.

“I’m sorry Mr-Martin.” Yuri almost addressed him with respect. “But I really need to go to work.”

“You can’t work on an empty stomach, Yuri.” he told her, in a way that could be hypnotizing or enticing her. Yuri wanted to deny it as much as she could but she couldn’t trash the fact that whatever spell Martin had in his words, they were definitely working. She found herself drawing closer and closer to Martin though she told herself time and time again not to.

Stop it, Yuri! You are not going near that man! You have Minho! You can’t be attracted! You are not to like him nor see him as anything but a father. A figure of authority…

 

Being a young lady of 17, hormones were just about as right as hearts. Yuri snapped out of her stance and without thinking, she let her feet lead the way to the inside of Martin’s house. Martin closed the door behind her and led her to the dining room with the cake still in his hand. He set it down on the table and pulled a chair for the young maiden.

“I’m running late…” Yuri found herself unable to coherently compose a sentence, especially when Martin looked at her with the same pair of slightly slanted eyes that Minho looked at her with. It was like falling in love with an older version of Minho, only that Jane wasn’t part of the equation, which made it even better because now Yuri was sure she was falling for the father and out of love with Minho. It may not be drastic but the deeper the gaze Martin gave Yuri got, the more drastic the falling out became.

“No need to rush.” Martin said. “If they should ask you, I’ll cover up for you.” he said with an assuring smile and a friendly (?) wink. Yuri could swear her defenses dropped right after he did.

“Okay. I guess I can stay a while…” Yuri said. Martin went to the kitchen to get the cake slicer as well as two plates and forks for them. Yuri tried hard to forget about the newfound feeling for Mr. Yoon but it started to eat her up, spitting the love for Minho out and making room for his father’s affection. For the first time in her life, Yuri felt comfortable around Martin.

“Tell me when you need to go and I’ll just bring you there, okay?” Yuri nodded as Martin sliced the cake thinly and gave it to Yuri. Yuri looked down and back up at him who was grinning at her, as if telling her to eat the cake through his smile. Yuri smiled slightly, not taking her mind off her aunt’s death. She debated in her mind whether she should work or just go straight to the funeral parlor where her relatives were. Undecided, she just nodded and gently took the fork that was on the plate and ate her cake, bit by bit. She found it quite hard to stop glancing at Martin from time to time and though she told herself to quit it before it became a habit, she uncontrollably glanced at Martin once more and this time, Martin caught her. Yuri’s mouth went agape as she hurriedly looked down and finished her cake. Martin saw Yuri’s facial expression and confirmed it to himself. Yuri also had something for him and it made the job a lot easier for him.

“Yuri.” he called. Yuri shakingly looked up and her dark brown eyes met Martin’s slanted light brown ones. He nearly told her that he caught her looking and that it was a sign she liked him. Good thing he managed to control his mouth before the words slipped from them.

“Yes.”

“I should take you…” To my room, Martin thought halfway through the sentence. “To your workplace now.” Yuri wiped with the napkin and nodded. She stood from where she was seated and walked humbly to Martin’s Mercedes Benz. The kind businessman of 48 opened the door for Yuri and watched her body as she carefully entered the car. Martin walked over to the other side and got in, preparing himself for the drive to the diner. He fixed his hair a bit, taking several glances at Yuri who still wasn’t wearing her uniform, as he had noticed.

“If you’re going to work,” Martin asked, “Why aren’t you in uniform?” Yuri shyly looked at Martin with her hair in a messy ponytail, strands falling on her face. She refused to look at Minho’s father for the infatuation might get deeper.

“I..I took it…to the cleaners. If I’m not mistaken…”Yuri frequently paused, trying to compose herself and rid herself of the awkward feeling that she was feeling right now. “I’m sure they have extra aprons there. I could just borrow.” Martin raised and eyebrow and turned his attention back on the road. Yuri wanted to fix her hair but was afraid that any movement might elicit ic feelings so she just sat with her hands neatly put on her lap. Martin made a U-Turn and parked at the parking lot of the diner to drop Yuri off.

“Thank you, appa.” Yuri bowed to him with all courtesy and respect. Martin’s heart fluttered a bit, making him feel 2 decades younger. Yuri gave him the sign of reverence, the sign of authority. The bow. It was then that Martin felt a great amount of arousal, knowing that Yuri had finally opened up to him and accepted him. The fact that she came to his house was proof enough that she was beginning to feel more comfortable with him. And to Martin, that was a good sign. He drove all the way to work in his Mercedes Benz, hoping to pick Yuri up later that afternoon.

Without Minho knowing.

What else did Minho not know? Well for starters, Minho certainly did not know about the cake (and he’d be mighty shocked if he got home and saw it because he knew that Yuri baked cakes and had tasted the raspberry cheesecake before); Minho also did not know that Martin had Yuri’s number and could call her up any time he wanted and felt like; Minho did not know that his father broke his promise to stay away from Yuri.

Yuri just went on slinging and slinging plates and trays of burgers and pancakes. The American-influenced restaurant that Yuri worked for was never out of these as they were the specialties. All the while, Yuri stood out among the other waitresses because she was the only one with her hair messily in a bun, in a shirt and jeans, and in rubber shoes instead of her 2 inch pumps. Nobody paid attention, though.

 

That afternoon, Yuri saw the Mercedes Benz parked right outside the diner. She glanced at it and sighed a deep sigh. She thought of passing up a ride home and opting to call Minho to pick her up and take her to the funeral parlor where she would be visiting and mourning her dead aunt. Yuri walked out of the restaurant while taking her apron off hastily. Martin rolled down the window and cajoled her to get into the car.

“Come in.” he said.

“Martin, I’m gonna have to pass this ride. I’m gonna go to the funeral parlor and I was thinking of calling Minho to pick me up. He wants to see auntie’s body, too.” Yuri said.

“Oh. I see. Well, if you need me, I’m just here.”

“Yes. Thank you.”

“Or would you like to wait in the car for Minho? I mean, it’s kind of chilly and you look cold. Come inside for some warmth.” Martin invited. Yuri agreed. It was kind of cold with the cool breeze blowing. She accepted Martin’s invitation and entered the car. Martin grabbed Minho’s varsity jacket (which he left behind) at the backseat and wrapped it around Yuri. Yuri felt uneasy and prayed and prayed for Minho to come. She slid her hand in her pocket and texted Minho.

‘Minho, please come quick. I really need to go.’

Quickly she took the varsity jacket off and hid her cellphone inside of her pocket. Martin wondered about her abrupt actions.

“I don’t really feel like wearing Minho’s jacket. I’d rather use the heater, if it’s alright with you.” Yuri said bluntly. Martin cocked his head to the side and agreed. He turned the heater on and watched as Yuri adjusted herself to the seat and the temperature.

“How was work?” Martin asked, hoping to make the atmosphere less awkward.

“Tiring. But worth it.” Yuri kept on looking back, hoping for Minho to come. Martin noticed this and couldn’t help but ask her.

“What are you waiting for?” he asked nervously.

“Minho. I texted him. Told him to pick me up.”

“Tell you what, I’mma save you and my son the trouble and take you there. “

“But I already texted Minho up.” Martin showed a calm face but inside his blood was boiling. Part of him wanted to disown Minho for imposing a ban on Yuri. Subconsciously, he was starting to hate his own flesh and blood.

“Fine.” Minho unlocked the doors and let Yuri out. Yuri sensed the frustration on Martin’s face and asked him what was wrong. Martin refused to answer and just booted her out of the car gently then sped off, seeing that his son was coming. Yuri stood at the parking space where the Mercedes was and looked out for her boyfriend’s motorcycle. Sure enough, Minho was racing her way when he caught sight of the Mercedes. He stepped down the motorcycle and interrogated Yuri.

“Was that dad in the Benz?” he asked sternly. Yuri shrugged, lying of course.

“No. Not that I know of. I just got out.” Minho placed a hand on his hip and surveyed the place with furrowed brows and an angry facial expression. “Looks like dad’s car to me.” he said. Yuri all the while just looked either down or at him.

“I don’t want to see you going near him, Yuri.” Yuri’s heart dropped at Minho’s words. “I’m a 100% convinced that my father’s interested in-”

“Don’t say that!” Yuri covered her ears and ruffled her messy hair. She removed the clamp that was holding it in a bun and let her haggard, raven hair flow freely past her shoulders. “I don’t know why you have to act all paranoid about your dad. Can’t you see that he’s just trying to be accomodating! Don’t make the gap between the two of you any bigger!”

“Shut up and just hop on.” Minho couldn’t produce a kinder reply. That was all he could think of at the moment. Yuri felt a slap across her heart but still got up on the motorbike and rode with Minho all the way to the funeral house.

Their travel was quiet, mostly. Yuri was still shocked at what Minho said for Minho had never yelled at her or said shut up to her. She didn’t cry but she was in a daze. As soon as they got to their destination, Minho did a very ungentlemanly act of going down first and not helping Yuri down his motorcycle. All the while they hadn’t been talking. The door was open and when Yuri got in, she noticed that Minho was standing comfortably outside the building with his hands in his pockets.

“Aren’t you coming in?” asked Yuri. Minho shook his head slightly and opened his mouth.

“No.” was all his mouth managed to produce. Yuri ran a hand through her hair and covered her pale and weary face with her cold hands. She couldn’t believe her boyfriend was acting that way.

“Will you stop being so immature? Can you just come inside?” she pleaded.

“Why should I? I just chaperoned you here. I don’t even-”

“Go to hell!” Yuri spun around and walked briskly to the funeral room where her aunt was. In there, she met up with the relatives, cried and cried, looked at the coffin where her aunt lay and left. She told them she couldn’t stay long as she still had some work to do the following day.

Upon exiting, Yuri saw that Minho was on his motorcycle, smoking a cigarette. She rushed to his side and pulled the cigarette from his lips’ clasp, throwing it on the ground and stomping on it with her sneakers.

“What the hell?” Yuri half-screamed.

“I should be asking you the same question! What the ing hell?” Minho hollered.

“Minho, please be serious. You were smoking. You told me you wouldn’t smoke and never even did and now I catch you with a cigarette in your mouth? Dammit!”

“Hey! Live a little. Not all promises are meant to be kept!”

“Let’s see how many more promises you’re going to break!” Yuri lashed back. Minho stood up straight and pushed his girlfriend, making her fall to the pavement of the funeral home’s parking lot.

“Who was the guy in the Mercedes Benz? It was dad, wasn’t it?”

“Minho-”

“! Shut the up, you twisted ! You were in there with my dad! I told you, be careful and don’t go hanging out with dad that much!”

Yuri rubbed her arm which landed really hard on the brick pavement. She tried to get up but fatigue got the best of her. All she did was pathetically sit mermaid-like on the ground. Powerless and not being able to do anything, Yuri just cried. Minho looked at her, smirked and shook his head as he got on his motorbike.

“When you explain yourself and try to ask the same question about keeping promises, come back and talk to me.” Minho just sat on the motorcycle and gazed at the stars. Yuri cried and cried.


“Your father…” she sobbed. “Is a good man! There is no reason for me or you to fear him!”

“Spoken like a true daddyer!” Minho spat out. Yuri’s eyes widened in shock. Daddyer? Is that even a word? Well in Yuri’s dictionary it wasn’t but she didn’t need a dictionary to know what it meant. Minho’s words were harsh and it showed how jealous he was of his father and how furious he was at Yuri for accepting his father’s friendship.

“You are a jealous, jealous man, Minho! Even your own father is not safe from your envy!” Yuri got up and ran away from Minho. Not realizing the gravity of his words and actions, Minho remained unmoved on the spot, watching Yuri run away from him.

“Next taxi stop’s two 2 kilometers from here!”

“!” was what he got in reply. Minho shrugged and took another stick of cigarette from the pack, lit it up and smoked his joint alone at the funeral home parking lot.

Yuri walked for 2 kilometers, the freezing wind biting ever bit of her skin, numbing her system down and making her move slower than the usual. Her cardigan was wrapped loosely around her body, the sleeves made of thin wool allowed the cool breeze to penetrate the cardigan and enclose her skin in coldness. Yuri reached the taxi stop and embraced herself, tears running down her face. If one thing, the tears certainly did not warm her up. The cold flow made her freeze to the point of immobility as she waited for a taxi to pass by and stop for her. Sadly, it took the taxi such a long time to come that Yuri suddenly thought of texting Minho and asking him to come and pick her up. That thought, however, faded from her mind.

Minutes later, a green taxi parked in front of the bus stop, waiting for Yuri to board. Yuri boarded the taxi with her face pale and her eyes red and watery.

“Where to, miss?” asked the driver without looking at her. Yuri made herself comfortable in the backseat.

“Haebaragi Village. #21.” Yuri said without looking at the driver, handing him her payment.

“Haebaragi…alright.” The driver drove from where they were all the way to Haebaragi Village and stopped right at House # 21. Yuri stepped out of the car without thanking the driver. She stood at the porch and watched the cab speed off. Once it had sped, Yuri turned around and faced her house. Her now empty house that was all hers. Yuri sighed and took the key out from her pocket, putting it in the keyhole opening the door. She turned the lights on and reflected on her aunt’s death. She shook her head and made her way to her room where she plopped on her bed face first.

Why? Why? Why must I suffer so much? screamed her head over and over. Yuri just let all the tears flow from her eyes and straight to the pillow. The young lady turned around and laid flat on her back, blurry eyes on the ceiling, wondering what she must’ve done wrong.

First my aunt, then Minho… Yuri couldn’t quite comprehend her situation right now, as she couldn’t think straight either. What mattered to her now was how to fix her life. Minho, as far as she knew, was still at the parking lot smoking when he promised her he would never smoke, drink, and do drugs. Yuri felt cheated on but what pissed her off more was the fact that her aunt-her one and only companion at home had died and it wasn’t even why she was crying now. She was crying because Minho had broken his promise, cursed at her, and even pushed her down to the ground. She felt her relationship with Minho slowly crumbling down.


Maybe he didn’t mean it. Maybe he was just angry with someone else and he just took it out on me. Yuri thought to herself. No matter how she looked at it, one thing was clear, Minho hated her that night and it was because of his father. But why his father? His father was a seemingly harmless person, accomodating and homely as a matter of fact. So why is it that Minho was so agitated when he found out that she hitched a ride in his father’s Benz. It’s not like his father was a total stranger to Yuri. She had been to his house a good 3-5 times or so.

Whatever the reason was, Yuri believed that all Minho needed was some thinking, talking, and a good night’s sleep. As for her, she would stay up all night thinking about all the sad and shocking events that occurred that day.