Chapter Three

Daddy's Girl

That very night, around 10:00 pm, something was going on in the village. Again. Remember the dark silhouette that attacked some 5 years ago? Well, just when the residents of that village thought the attacks had stopped, this proved them wrong. The dark silhouette walked calmly in the poorly lit area of the subdivision, choosing a house to break into. He randomly chose a blue house that was very peaceful looking and looked for an opening. The house was pretty much locked shut except for one window on the second floor-the bedroom. Sensing that the residents are asleep, he swiftly climbs the walls and once he was in, he did the thinkable.

He silenced the girl sleeping in her room by placing a cloth laced with poison over her nose, making her pass out. Once she was out, the dark silhouette proceeded to her and leave her unconscious. He didn’t kill her, though. He only wanted the .

The following morning, Yuri sat up hyperventilating and with her hand on her neck. She was gasping for air as if someone had just choked her. A sigh of relief came out of when she looked around her and realized that everything was just a dream. A bad dream. Hurriedly, she got into the shower and fixed herself for school (yes she was going to school that day). With no breakfast, Yuri rushed outside of her house and walked quickly, taking several glances at the back to check if someone was following her.

“Minho has to know about this.” she thought. Right then and there, Minho was standing outside his house waiting for the bus. Yuri waved at him and stood at the other side of the road, waiting for him to come to her. Minho jogged to her side and as soon as he was in front of her, she threw herself at him. Minho was taken aback by her actions and pulled away.

“What’s wrong? Did something happen at your house?” he asked worried.

“I had a ing terrible dream, Minho. I don’t know if I should tell you about this but it had me gasping for air this morning.”

“What? Tell me what it is?”

“I dreamt of your father.” Yuri blurted. Minho ran his hand through his hair and placed his hand on his forehead.

“What about?”

“It’s embarrassing…”

“Tell me.”

“He me in my dream. He had me on the floor and he was choking me while forcing me to have with him. Minho, it was really scary I don’t want to think about it. You have no idea how paranoid it made me.”

“Yuri, be careful, okay. Please just be careful. Nothing matters more to me than your safety and seeing you safe is all I want. Be careful, Yuri.” Minho said.

“You riding the bus?”

“Yes. And you’re riding with me.” Minho took her wrist and as soon as the bus got to where they were, they hopped on and sat together. Yuri just couldn’t stop thinking about her dream.

“Stop it, okay. It’s gonna haunt you forever if you keep thinking about it. Just forget about it and focus on your studies.” they got off the bus and headed to their classroom. Even in class, they were always together.

“You think something bad’s gonna happen to me?” Yuri asked. “I mean, it could come true or it could be a premonition. What do you think?”

“Yuri, I’m here.” Minho said.

“I know but your dad…”

“Yuri, it was just a dream. My dad would never do that.” Deep down inside, Minho knew his father could do that to Yuri, especially now that he was being all accomodating and friendly to his girlfriend, that possibility wasn’t elusive. He was just trying to calm her nerves down.

Classes wore on from morning till afternoon and there wasn’t a time that Yuri didn’t think about the dream she had. She stopped talking to Minho about it to avoid annoying him but it still bothered her to a certain extent.

That night, Minho had a small chat with his father with regards to Yuri but in order to avoid freakouts and bailouts from his father, he took a different route.

“Dad” Minho began. “How are you today?” Martin looked up and put the newspaper he was reading down.

“I’m fine. Thank you. How about you, son? How was school?”


“School…school was okay. Me and my friends had a great time talking.” Minho grabbed a can of soda and sat next to his father.

“What about-” Minho knew what was on his father’s mind so he got straight to the point. He put his soda can down and stood up, lunging forward at his father.

“Don’t you dare ask about Yuri!” he remembered the dream Yuri told him about and he was afraid that it might come true. He didn’t want this thing to get any worse than it is now so he stepped up to his father-like a man and told him straight to his face that he wanted this thing to end. “Stop asking about Yuri. Dad, can you just not care about Yuri.”

“Why not? I mean, she’s your girlfriend and-”

“You’re caring too much!” he spat bluntly. “Each time I come home you ask how Yuri is and what she did and how our relationship is going. For the record dad, we’re fine and we’ll be even more fine if you stick your nose out of our business because honestly, it’s making us feel uncomfortable.”

“How is it making you feel uncomfortable? Are you saying that a father cannot show concern for his son and his son’s girlfriend?”

“That’s not it, dad!” Minho explained. “You’re getting too personal with the questions about us. You ask too much. And you wonder about Yuri too much, I’m starting to notice that.”

“Son, I think it’s your mind that’s dirty. I have no intentions of being anything more than a father figure to Yuri.” Minho’s round eyes widened even more at his father’s confession.

“Dad I wasn’t asking.” he said calmly while in a daze. “Why did you bring that up?” Martin’s defenses started to crash down as he was about to be exposed. His secret longing for his son’s significant other was about to be found out about and the only way to prevent this is by giving a reasonable alibi as to why he said that.

“I just wanted to show concern for Yuri and nothing more. It seems as though you were thinking about something else.”

“I was about to say, maybe you want us to stop being in a relationship. Maybe you want us to nto see each other. Maybe you don’t like Yuri and you’re talking her out of this relationship.” Minho was actually thinking what his father was thinking and what he said was just an alibi. No, it wasn’t about the breakup or the relationship. He was 90 percent convinced that his father had a crush on Yuri. He didn’t need science to know that. Minho and Martin stared at each other, aware of the awkward situation they put each other in. Martin took the newspaper and shot three more glances at Minho before resuming his reading. Minho on the other hand grabbed his soda can and bag and ran all the way to his room upstairs to call Yuri up but what he wasn’t expecting was that Yuri called ahead of him. He had 2 missed calls from Yuri. Minho grabbed his phone and dialled Yuri’s number, hoping to talk things out with his girlfriend.

“Minho! Oh God!” came Yuri’s voice from the other line. “Thank God you called I was so ing worried.”

“Yuri, what’s wrong? Why did you call?”

“Minho, I have to tell you something but please don’t flip out.” Yuri said with a shaken voice, one that was sure to crack anytime.

“What’s happening?” Yuri was about to open when the tears acted ahead. Yuri found herself sobbing on the phone. “Why are you crying? Tell me.”

“My aunt’s in a critical condition. Neighbors rushed her to the hospital this afternoon and now she’s barely moving. She’s bedridden and is on the brink of losing her life…Minho, I’m so scared…”Yuri cried.

“Don’t worry. Let’s just pray for your aunt. There’s not much we can do about it other than pray. Yuri, calm down okay. Everything will be fine.” Minho assured her though he wasn’t quite sure of the situation. In this tough time, he didn’t want to bring his father up again for it might further stress Yuri and he didn’t want to burden her.

“Okay. But Minho, what if-”

“Don’t think that way.” he knew what she was going to say. That was a trait of his that she loved so much. He knew her better than she knew herself. He always knew what was on her mind before she could even say it.

“I won’t. I’ll just pray.” Yuri wiped the tears from her eyes and blew her nose. Yuri knew her aunt didn’t have long to live so not wanting to prolong Minho’s agony, she hung up. Minho removed the phone from his ear and gave it a strange look, wondering why Yuri hung up all of a sudden. H ewanted to text her goodnight but thought twice about doing so, opting not to and shutting his phone off to go to bed.

Minho laid in bed with the lights out but he didn’t sleep. Matter of fact, with Yuri’s condition and his father’s growing infatuation for his girlfriend, he couldn’t sleep. He tried confronting his father about it but his father was just too defensive, insisting that it was an act of ‘fatherly love’ and ‘concern for his girlfriend’. Martin didn’t have to make those excuses up! It was obvious that he had a thing for Yuri. Ideally, parents do not want their children’s significant others hanging around in their house and if one did, the same way Martin had a yearning for Yuri, then it would be considered erse. With his hands clasped together, resting on his chest, Minho shut his eyes and said a silent prayer for his father and girlfriend. It wasn’t a solemn church-like prayer. It was like talking to God and casually asking for a sign.

God, I don’t know what is happening to my life. It seems to be falling apart. I don’t mean to exaggerate because I know You know nothing is wrong with me. It’s just that, two of the people that are dear to me are troubling me. First, I cannot understand my father’s condition. Second, my girlfriend is going through a very tough time and as her boyfriend, I want to do whatever it takes to make things alright for her but I just can’t seem to do so. I feel so irresponsible and helpless. I don’t know what to do. Please, give me a sign that everything will be alright.

Amen…

After the short prayer, Minho turned to his right side and checked his alarm clock.

It’s only 9:30 pm. I thought I slept through the night. I haven’t. Minho thought in disappointment. He tried to close his eyes and even covered his entire body with the comforter but to no avail. The things going on were just bothering him that he couldn’t further stomach it. He knew he had to talk to his dad about this because if his dad makes his move on Yuri, it could traumatize her and even add more problems to her already problematic life. Wasn’t it enough that Yuri was working more than studying and earning a living for herself and her aunt and now her aunt was in the hospital, severly ill and only a few seconds away from dying and Martin wanted to take advantage of Yuri-according to Minho’s thinking? All these thoughts prevented him from sleeping so he decided that he wasn’t going to school tomorrow, rather, he’d accompany Yuri.

I feel that it’s my obligation to make other people happy. Even if it means sacrificing my own pleasures and goals. he thought to himself.

Minho stayed up all night and realized that he was about to fall asleep at around 2:00 am. From the minute he got home to 1:59 am, all Minho thought of was the problems his dad and girlfriend were causing him and how to solve them. All was decided, he was going to tell his father straight to his face tomorrow. While eating breakfast.


[SOMETIME AROUND 5:00 AM]

Minho couldn’t sleep any longer. 3 hours of sleep was all a troubled man needed. Minho wanted to get this thing off his chest so it would end and he could live life normally. If it weren’t for his father’s erted desire, he wouldn’t be acting like a bodyguard to Yuri, always on the constant watch. He loved Yuri dearly, though but it was really getting to his nerves. He didn’t like the fact that he had to protect his girlfriend from a man that was seemingly harmless. It was burdensome watching over Yuri, especially when he knew that Yuri was a grown woman and should be watching over herself but because of her fragile and innocent nature, he had to do the watching for her and it was a huge pain in the . So if he couldn’t get Yuri to change her ways (and it wasn’t like she would or could), he’d just tell his father off. Besides, it was all his father’s erted desire’s fault. Not Yuri’s.

That morning, Martin Yoon was busy with his computations for his business when Minho interrupted. He placed his cereal bowl on the table along with his glass of orange juice. Martin looked up and took his glasses off.

“Good morning son.” he said upbeatly. Martin seemed to be in a good mood. Minho groggily placed his back pack on the chair beside his father, pulled one and sat on it. He placed his hands on the table and rested his chin on the left hand. Martin shot glances at his son and went back to computing the sales.

“Morning.” Minho said sternly. Martin put his glasses back on and placed the pen down. The tone of his son’s voice said a lot about his mood though Minho didn’t show an angry and exasperated facial expression.

“What’s wrong? You seem kind of…stern.”

“Yes. I am stern. I’ve always been stern to you.” Minho replied, not showing any hint of emotion though he really, really, really wanted to confront his father in a violent, verbal way.

“You were never stern to me. Only recently. Tell me what this is about.”

“This is a very simple plea. A very simple request.” Minho said with his hands together in front of his face, as if he was praying. “Please stop asking Yuri to come here. Stop stalking her. Stop thinking about her. Stop asking me about her. Remove Yuri from your memory because honestly, it’s freaking her out.”

“How did she know that I’ve been talking to you about her?”

“Dad, I tell her. She has the right to know. I tell her everything you told me.” Minho replied. “And to set the record straight, I’m not bringing her here anymore.”
The last statement broke Martin’s heart. He wouldn’t be able to see Yuri again. He wouldn’t be able to smell her perfume, her shampoo. To see her legs. To see her body. To see her face and watch her smile. He knew he had to do something about it.

“Your girlfriend really feels uncomfortable?” he asked.

“Yes. Dad, you’re a married…” Minho re-thought the use of the word. “You have a wife. Yes, you may be separated but you’re still committed to her. To us. Are you willing to stain your dignity as a father by hitting on a younger girl? A 17 year old girl? Who just happens to be your son’s girlfriend? It’s ic, dad. It’s not right. Not to mention the fact that it’s awkward how I have competition with my own dad! So I’m asking you simply. Stop talking to her, about her, inviting her. Okay? Do it for me. She’s going through a rough time now. Her aunt’s dying and if you’re only gonna aggravate her and pass it off as ‘fatherly love’, then I would say you’re a hypocrite! You’re not making it any easier for her by harassing her like that.”

Martin understood his son’s point and nodded. “Alright. I won’t. I’ll just leave you two in your relationship but if ever-”

“If ever we need you, we’ll tell you. And extend only the needed help. Nothing more, nothing less. I’m not preventing you from talking to Yuri, only for the moment because she’s having a hard time.” Minho pleaded. “Please, dad. Okay? I’m not angry with you. I’m just frustrated and annoyed, but not angry.” Minho was deceiving himself. He knew he was smoking mad.

“Alright. You got yourself a deal.” Martin said.

“Thank you dad.” Minho was afraid that he had made the atmosphere very awkward so he just gathered his things and left for school. He decided not to see Yuri and to just drop by after school.

Just when Martin was sure that Minho was gone, he stood from where he sat and looked around. He saw no signs of Yuri and decided to roam around the village, just to reflect on the mini-lecture that his 17 year old son gave him. He put on his coat, as it was unbeliveably windy outside and slipped on his boots. Martin opened the door, inhaled fresh, cool air and began walking around.

My son wants me to stay away from his girlfriend. I have to have Yuri. There’s got to be some way that I can get to Yuri without him knowing. I remember what my son said about ‘competition’. He’s absolutely right. I’m actually competing with my son for his girlfriend’s affections and obviously, he’s winning. Minho’s the one Yuri loves more. Yuri doesn’t even love me, let alone see me as anything but a creepy stranger trying to get to her. I better think of a plan if I want Yuri to be mine.

Martin walked to the direction of the east but realized that Yuri wasn’t going to school that day. Instead, he diverted his attention to the left and turned around, heading that way. He wanted to pass by Yuri’s house just to see if she was there. Nobody would know. Minho would definitely not know. And besides, he never said anything about not passing by her house and checking on her. Martin wasn’t gonna talk to her. He wasn’t even gonna ring the doorbell. What was he gonna do? He was just gonna stand there and look for Yuri.

Lucky guy! A very lucky guy indeed. Yuri’s bedroom window was open and the curtains were rolled up, providing him a great view of Yuri in her boudoir. Realizing that Yuri could see him from where she was, he hid behind a tree and watched her from there. Yuri was dressing up but she wasn’t completely . Yuri had a white tank top on and black mini shorts. She sat on the chair of her dresser and fixed her hair, tossing it, brushing it, tying it, undoing the ponytail, brushing and tossing it again. These simple things really turned Martin on and he tried not to yelp from behind the tree. talking and inviting, watching her from behind the tree was even more fun. Yuri then stood up and sat on her bed, rolling over to lie flat on her stomach with her two legs up, swinging back and forth. There was a book on the bed and while in this position, Yuri began to read. All the while she was oblivious to the fact that a man was watching her from behind an oak tree, sweating heavily and salivating in great amounts. And Yuri wasn’t even in her night form.

But what exactly is her night form?

Martin watched Yuri from behind the tree and decided that the view from there was becoming more and more limited so in order to be able to stalk Yuri better, he climbed the oak tree and sat on a branch, waiting for Yuri to make her next move. The leaves concealed Martin but he must stay very calm and quiet if he wanted to be undetected. True enough, Yuri placed a bookmark on the page where she stopped and stood up to look for some clothes in her closet. Yuri so badly wanted to visit her aunt in the hospital but she had no idea how to get there. She decided that Minho take her to the hospital and after stopping for a while, she’d work on her 2nd job.

The night job.

Yuri pulled out a slinky black cocktail dress which extended no further beyond her thigh. The dress was really short and since the mirror was on the window’s side, she had to go there to check it out. Martin saw this from behind the leaves and got once more. Nothing could prepare him from what was coming next…

Yuri took her blouse off and tried the dress on. Martin was overwhelmed at how it fit her perfectly, capturing her small yet beautiful curves. At only 17, how could one look this good? Martin swore he could spend forever on that tree if it meant seeing Yuri.


One day, you will be mine.