Chapter One

Daddy's Girl


Just 5 years ago, nobody could forget it. That was the cold winter night of 2006. The curtains were closed, the doors were locked, the house was dark and cold. Faint cries, high pitched screams, muffled sounds to follow. And then there was silence. Silence enveloped the dark room. The winds blew strongly as a dark shadow emerged from the peach house. Nobody was able to identify who the shadow was but they were certain of the intruder’s actions.

It’s been 5 years since that incident. Nobody spoke up about it. It was left hanging in the air, scaring the mighty out of mothers with very young daughter and teenage girls in their houses. The scare lasted for a good 2 years.

Fast forward to the present time, everything is back to normal in the city of Seoul. The incident was never followed and that allowed peace to reign over the country. But we shall focus on a particular subdivision.

The same subdivision where the crime happened.

In that peaceful subdivision lived a middle aged man and his 17 year old son. Martin Yoon and Choi Minho. Choi Minho was adopted by Martin when he was 3 years old and he lived with him ever since. That’s why their surnames aren’t the same. Minho and his father had a good relationship. They seldom fought, mainly because Minho was a good and helpful son who never ceased to obey his father’s rules. Martin wasn’t very strict with Minho, though. He knew Minho was a responsible young man. Minho loved his father dearly though Martin wasn’t his biological father. The merefact that Martin adopted and cared for Minho for 3 years was proof enough that Martin really loved his son.

Minho had a mother. No, she didn’t die. Martin was separated from his wife. His wife helped him care for Minho but since they separated just recently, Minho decided to just stay with Martin. It wasn’t that Jane-Martin’s wife-didn’t care for Minho, neither was it that he didn’t love her, it was just that Minho felt more comfortable with his father. Though separated, Jane often visited them to talk to her son.

Martin was a decent man. A decent family man, at that. He worked a decent job as a shop owner and earned big from it. His son studied at a decent school and was intelligent beyond words, surpassing every level with flying colors. Martin had many friends in the neighborhood and had colleagues and co-workers who respected him. He was hardworking and dedicated to his profession of entrepreneurship. From the looks of Martin, whose face was homely and fatherly, who would think that he was a…

Nevermind.
The trees danced gracefully. The flowers swayed with the breeze and the leaves circled, whooshing on the ground. A windy afternoon, perfect weather for going out and enjoying the cool winds. In Minho’s case, he was spending that afternoon with a beautiful girl named Kwon Yuri who lived a few steps away from his house. Yuri had long black hair which blew in the breeze, smooth skin that was somewhere in between honey and caramel, slightly wide eyes which were different from the eyes of the typical girls around the neighborhood, a slim built and a beautiful figure. At only 17, how could someone look this good?

“So what do you want to do today?” asked Minho.

“Not much. Just sit here and chill with you.” Yuri answered. She looked around the serene garden which sounded of nothing but the breeze and saw Martin Yoon looking at them. “Is that your dad?” she pointed at the window. Minho looked back and saw his father watching them, Yuri in particular. He cocked his head to the side and nodded.

“Yeah. He’s my dad alright.”

“Oh.” Yuri noticed Martin moving away from the window and towards the door. She knew he was coming out…and he did! Martin walked to them, not taking his eyes off Yuri. He stood next to the couple and asked,

“Minho, who is this?” Minho and Yuri stood up and dusted themselves.

“This is my girlfriend, Kwon Yuri. She lives in that house over there.” Minho pointed southeast to the peach house where Yuri lived. Yuri looked at Martin Yoon and smiled at him. She had a good feeling that Martin was a nice man and would welcome him into his home.

“Hello.” she said.

“Hello Yuri.” Martin looked at Yuri from crown to sole. Her beautiful eyes seemed to be looking right through him, through his soul.

“Hello Mr. Choi.” Yuri said. Martin chuckled and arched his eyebrow at the mention of ‘Mr. Choi.’

“My dear, I’m Martin Yoon. Not Choi.”

“Oh.” Yuri said with adorable doe eyes. This attracted Martin to her even more. “Oh…I’m sorry.” Yuri looked at Minho with a face that asked why he never told her about his father. Minho replied with a look that said it was deeply personal.

“That’s alright my dear. I wonder why Minho never told you about it.” A brief silence enveloped them until Martin spoke up once more. “Why don’t you come over and stay for dinner, so I can get to know you better. Isn’t that right, Minho?” he looked at his son. Minho looked up and nodded.

“Right. Stay for dinner. Dad would love to get to know you.” Yuri smiled slightly and nodded.

“I’m gonna have to ask my auntie first.” she replied.

“No. You don’t have to. We got you covered, Yuri.” smiled Martin. Yuri’s smile faded and turned into a pokerface. Minho sensed that his father was making her uncomfortable.

“Why don’t we go in and have some dinner? Shall we?” Minho asked. He stood up and helped his girlfriend up, noticing his father’s frequent glances at Yuri. He held her hand and led her to their house. Minho let his girlfriend walk behind him to avoid awkward stares from his father.

“Alright! Here we are.” Martin opened the door to their house and let the two young lovers in. Martin held the door for them and since Yuri was trailing behind, Martin couldn’t help but stare at Yuri’s slim figure. It made him all googly eyed and he just looked on. Minho didn’t notice his father’s eyes so Martin had the advantage of staring longer.

The dining table was all set. Martin Yoon was very much into Oriental cuisine so he whipped up a Chinese-Korean dinner for them. It consisted of rice cakes, dimsum, noodles, rice and everything oriental. Yuri wasn’t much into eating so she took very small amounts of food which delighted Martin. It only deepened his interest in the young girl.

“So please tell me about yourself, Yuri.” he started. Yuri carefully removed the spoon from and gently wiped the corners of her lips with a napkin. Minho cocked his head to the side and analyzed his father’s eyes.

“My name is Kwon Yuri. I’m 17 years old. I live a few steps away from here, just in the peach house next to the corner street. I live with my aunt. My parents passed away due to an accident so I’ve been living with my aunt since I was three. I study during the day and work at night but only on Fridays and Saturdays.” Yuri explained.

“And you work as a what?”

“I work as a…singer.” there was a hint of hesitation in Yuri’s tone. She was trying to hold the words back, like she was ashamed of her profession. Martin’s eyes only grew with wonder as he tilted his head back. His appetite was gone and the only thing he yearned for was more information from Yuri. Yuri clasped her hands and put them on her lap, deciding that she was done eating. She looked down a bit and let a few strands of hair fall on her face.

“Oh. Where do you sing?”

“Uhm…” Yuri found it hard to answer this. “I sing at diners sometimes.”

“Is singing your only job?” asked Martin.

“No. I also work as a waitress. I really need to earn money because my aunt is 69 years old and is starting to get really weak. She financially sustains us but there are times when she just can’t work anymore, that’s why I work for the two of us.” she said humbly.

“I see. Do you earn enough?”

“Enough? Not so. But I continue to strive.” Yuri said. Martin smiled at her and stopped the questions as his son was already looking at him, his way of saying ‘stop’. Yuri looked at him and smiled back.

“Why don’t you eat some more?” he cajoled. Yuri smiled and waved her hand, declining his offer.

“No thank you. I’m full.” she replied. Yuri looked at the clock and saw that it was 6:30 pm. “I have to go home.” she said. “My aunt’s probably worried.”

“You can stay for a while. Your house is just near.” said Martin.

“Dad, I think she really needs to go.” Minho interrupted, noticing the rising awkwardness of the situation.

“Let your girlfriend stay, wouldn’t you like some time with her?”

“Dad. I’m starting to notice something.” Minho said in between gritted teeth so that Yuri wouldn’t hear.

“Okay, okay. Get her home now. But be sure she gets there…” Martin said. “Or I’m gonna get you!”

Minho led Yuri out the door and together they walked to Yuri’s place. The street wasn’t well lit so Minho made it a point to hold Yuri’s hand really tightly.

“Sorry for the really awkward atmosphere there. My dad really likes to ask a lot of questions, especially to girls.” Minho apologized. “I hope you won’t hate me for this.”

“Why would I hate you?” asked Yuri.

“Because my dad’s a real weirdo. He’s been like that since mom left us.” Minho explained.

“When do I get to meet your mom?” Yuri asked.

“I don’t know. Probably never.”

“Why not? Don’t you want your mom to know me?”

“You wouldn’t wanna, I promise.” Minho chuckled.

“Still.” Yuri maintained.

“Still. We’re here at your doorstep. Still.”

“Oh. I didn’t notice.”

“Anyways, you have a good night. Study hard, work harder. Care for your auntie, okay. She’s all you’ve got.” Minho held her hands on their porch.

“Hey! I have you!”

“Of course you do! Now goodnight! And try not to think about the awkwardness of this evening, okay? I love you!” MInho kissed her forehead and let her go, watching her enter the house. Yuri peered and waved goodbye.

[AT THE CHOI/YOON RESIDENCE]

Martin and Minho were watching TV and the whole time, all Martin could talk about was Yuri. How she looked, how she smelled, the way she ate. He was practically obsessed with her.

“Dad, it’s the billionth time you’ve mentioned Yuri. Can we talk about something else?” Minho asked.

“Aren’t you proud of your girlfriend? You should be quite happy that your father actually likes your girlfriend. Other dads…”


“I know, dad. But she’s not my first girlfriend, remember. I’ve had girlfriends before and whenever I brought them here you never talked about them the way you’re talking about Yuri now. What is it about Yuri that you like so much?”

“Do you see it as a bad thing?” Martin asked, defending the developing feelings he was feeling inside.

“I don’t see you liking my girlfriend as a bad thing. What I see as a bad thing is you’re talking about her way too much. For the past 4 hours since she left, it’s been nothing but Yuri, Yuri, Yuri.” Minho explained.

“Son, I’m just glad that you found an ideal partner.” he said. “For you.”

“How did you know she’s ideal? Do you even know if we’ll be together?” Martin was taken aback at his son’s lack of commitment.

“What the hell did my son just say? Do you even know if we’ll be together? Watch your words, my boy because if you don’t take care of the young piece of woman, I will show you what being a man is like. Be careful, Minho. If you let her go, your father will make his move and you might find yourself calling Yuri your mommy.” Martin thought.

“Son, please. Just take it easy. I’m just appreciating your taste. You now have good taste in women, let’s just end it at that.” It made Minho feel even more awkard. He rolled his eyes and just focused on the TV show that he was watching with his dad.

Later that night, as Minho was about to go to sleep, Martin stood by the window drinking a cup of coffee.

“Dad, why are you still up? You’re supposed to be sleeping now! Don’t stress yourself out again!”

“I’m not stressing myself, Minho.” revealed the businessman. “I’m actually feeling light.”

“Light? Dad! Please! Just stop this nonesense. You’re acting weird again. I think you’re missing mom.”

“I’m not missing your mother. She can do whatever she wants with her goddamn life for all I care. I’m just in a calm mood right now.”

“Dad, just go to bed. It’s already 12:00 mn. You have work tomorrow.”

“I don’t need to go to work…”

“What? Dad, what about the business?”

“I can take care of that some other time. I just want to contemplate here til morn.”

Minho rolled his eyes and decided that it was time to stop wasting precious sleeping time. He headed to his room and slept. Martin, on the other hand, sat on the edge of the bed with his coffee and thought hard to himself.

“Kwon Yuri. 17 years old, 5’5” mocha skinned, slim figure. Very beautiful. My son has never had a girlfriend that lovely. She’s so captivating. Her demure and meek nature is so attractive that all the other girlfriends my son brought to this house pale in comparison. Her beauty is so enticing I just want her to be mine…I must not think this way. She’s a young girl, for God’s sake. A beautiful, ually attractive young girl. Her long legs…the way she walked in and out of this house and the way she crossed them while eating. The way she dressed. The way she smelled. The way her raven black her beautifull fell right in front of her face…Kwon Yuri…that’s a name I’ll always remember…” Martin was fickle minded about this. He’d tell himself that Yuri was his son’s girlfriend and that they should enjoy their relationship but at the same time, he told himself that Yuri should be his.

“A singer? Must have a really good voice. I need to find out more about this Yuri.” he said.

Martin fell asleep with Yuri on his mind.