Dish Ran away with the Fork

When Dusk Rises

He stood silently in front of his full to bursting bookshelf, trying his hardest not to grab just one last to bring with him to Forks. The airport people could only give him enough luggage weight limits for clothes and others. It was bad enough that he had to hand-carry his laptop and a few of his notebooks of years-worth of research.  His books will have to come at another time.

Books were the life of traditional genii – yes, it was genii not geniuses - and a power book for the more modern geeks. His preference goes both ways. He slid the glass doors of the shelf. There shouldn’t be any complication being separated for a few weeks from processed trees, right…?

… Except maybe for losing the will to live.

A knock. “Baekhyun?”

It was his mother. He tried to smile as genuinely as he can. It was hard.

“It’s time to go.” The smile was returned with a rather sad one. Baekhyun may be emotionally detached from the rest of the world but it pained him to see his mother sad. It pained him more that he caused the sadness but it must be done.

He grabbed his jacket sitting on the bed. “I’ll come, by and by.”

Daehyun, his mother’s current husband’s son, appeared behind him. “We’re gonna be late, you two.”

Nodding, he spared a last glance towards his bookshelf before following them down to the car. A few hours from now, it will be farewell, sunshine, hello, rain for him. It was a sudden decision he stood up but secretly doubting if it was even a good idea.

He and his mother moved almost frequently enough not to get to know a village too well and make any friends. Not that Baekhyun needs any friends, scholarly acquaintances maybe, but not a bunch of uncivilized apes calling themselves humans. Maybe, that’s a bit too harsh. Travelling is certainly affecting his researches though. He couldn’t hold a study long enough because a second later, they’re on their way to the other side of the continent. He needed to live somewhere –temporarily- permanent. Forks is the best place he could come up with that has family in it.

His mother, Sungrin, her current husband, and Daehyun unwillingly agreed and the decision was then final.

“You don’t have to do this.” His mother held his cheeks between two hands. He noticed the light wrinkles and darkening around his mother’s eyes, how old and tired his mother is behind the mask of happiness. Then he saw himself, same black hair, black eyes. Baekhyun wrapped his arms around his mother’s tiny waist. The only trait he did not share with his mother is his mother’s child-like enthusiasm.

“I don’t.” He whispered. It wasn’t exactly a lie, really. “But I want to.”

That wasn’t exactly a lie either.

They shared a few moments longer embrace before Baekhyun let go. It was time, to the airport they go and to Forks he continues alone.

The trip was silent or at least silenced by the headphones booming his definition of music on Baekhyun’ ears. He doesn’t really need his mother talking him out of this. They’ll be calling each other and sending letters via owls. That was enough. It wasn’t as if he’ll be legal and living alone soon.

“Tell Baekbeom I said hi. Take care, honey.”

That was the last words he heard before boarding the plane. The five hour journey through the clouds was spent writing notes, doodling, composing, and eating granola bars. Time passed swiftly like lightning and, in no time, his brother - his real brother was waving at him from a cop vehicle across the road. If there was one thing that irritated the gaunt boy more than moving houses, it has to be drawing attention.

Baekhyun ignored the whispers of the crowd and climbed onto the car.

Baekbeom had been more than pleased with the news. He did a very poor job at hiding his grin like he just won an Oscars trophy. He was too happy that he already prepared Baekhyun’s old room and enrolled him in the only high school the small town has. But that smile plastered on Baekbeom’s face wasn’t just happiness; there was something more like the kind of excitement that says, ‘I have a surprise for you”. It was most probably some shady science book or classic novel as a homecoming gift.

He stared at his brother for a long moment. Again, noticing the wrinkles around his eyes and the whitening strands of hair that told his brother how stressing living alone is. He noticed how he’s changed in the time he hadn’t seen him. How long has it been?

Well, it doesn’t matter, does it? He’ll be with him for the time being.

Baekhyun was about to put his headphones back on when Baekbeom spoke. “Nice to see you again, Baek.”

“Mother says hi.” Yes, Baekhyun wasn’t one for the casual talking. “It’s nice to see you too.”

Baekhyun slid on his headphones before Baekbeom could continue the conversation.

The horizon out the window gradually shifted from rows of city houses to rows of towering trees, from a bright sunny day to dim and cloudy. The hour passed slowly. The sun was already disappearing behind the dense forest when they arrived at Baekbeom’s humble house.

“Baek,” Baekbeom started, his grin was apparent now. “I have a surprise for you.”

Baekhyun smiled too, more to himself being right than the surprise. Fortunately for him, Baekbeom took it as a good sign of appreciation.

“It’s kind of like a homecoming gift.” His brother said sheepishly. He was squirming now like a teenage boy asking for his hand to prom. “I really hope you like it.”

Baekhyun eyed the saturated red truck parked beside the cruise. This wasn’t what he was expecting. Somehow, for a few good seconds, no strain of thoughts occurred to his mind. That rarely happens, by the way but then again, so does receiving a probably ancient truck as a homecoming gift.

He exited the cruise to inspect the truck closer.

Not that he didn’t appreciate it. No really, he was glad not to have to walk to school tomorrow morning. He wasn’t really sure there was any cab around and he’s definitely sure he’s not taking the cop cruise either.

He had to remember to close his mouth before opening it again to mumble a shy ’thank you’.

A man on a wheel chair appeared behind the truck. A younger man was pushing him. Both of their faces were sporting a rather smug grin that would normally annoy the heck out of Baekhyun if his mood was not initially elated by his brother’s surprise.

Baekbeom stopped before them, already carrying the bags. “Billy!”

“Heard your brother’s coming today, I decided to check in.” The man on the wheel chair, Billy, beamed at Baekhyun widely. A lot of people have been smiling at him lately he’s growing tired of returning them with equal enthusiasm. “You remember me, young man?”

Baekhyun just smiled and slowly shook his head. He hadn’t been here for almost fourteen years, how did the townspeople expect him to remember them?

But the negative response didn’t darken Billy’s smile. “Perhaps you remember my son?”

In less than a millisecond, the lad behind the wheelchair was in front of him offering his hand. Baekhyun swore the lad’s flowing tresses was smoother than his by the looks of it. Yes, tresses because it’s almost as long as a girl’s. He took his hand tentatively and shook it.

“Tao.” The lad wouldn’t let go of his hand. “We use to fish together.”

Baekhyun shook his head again with a barely-concealed tired sigh. “Baekhyun. My apologies for not remembering.”

A genius he maybe, he is not without his manners unlike most fictional genii. His mother certainly did not raise him insolent and rude on the outside. It wouldn’t do to act like a spoiled child now. His mind, however, is a different story.

But sometimes, his manners and patience could only go so far. Kris pulled Baekhyun towards the front seats and taught him the improvisation they made on the truck. For a good fifteen minutes, the teenage genius endured everything, again with a smile. When his patience was completely exhausted, he politely excused his self to retire early for the night. It had been a long day after all.

“Will I see you at school tomorrow?” Baekhyun asked expectantly. It would be easier to have someone he knows at a new school, but the lad’s smile shrank a couple of molars.

“I go to a different school, I’m sorry.” Baekhyun nodded to hide his disappointment. “See you around?”

“It’s a pleasure meeting you. See you around.”

“The pleasure’s mine.” A kiss on his hand and the boy disappeared into the night with his father.

He turned to face the house’s front door and entered.

“I see you’ve made new friends.” His brother was already watching television in the living room.

“Yes,” Baekhyun replied without looking at his brother as he continued up the stairs towards his old room. “I met new people. It was great.” Tao and Billy were not technically new but Baekbeom will understand.

“The truck is not the surprise, you know. Although, that is yours. ”

That stopped Baekhyun halfway through opening his door. “No? But I thought it was great.” He waited for a reply but only silence followed. He entered his room warily and opened the light just in case the surprise comes in a form of an overly hyper pouncing cat.

When no furry animal tried assaulting him, he stepped inside and finally noticed a brand new case of piano beside his old one. His first genuine smile spread across his lips. It was also his brother who bought his first piano as a homecoming present. He hasn’t changed it since, more because of the sentiment that it held than financial issues.

He gently opened the lid with trembling hands and pulled the instrument off carefully like a mother would to her child. This was better than his truck. It was of the same make, same quality than his now old one. But the piano produced a thicker better sound when he tried plucking a few notes.

“Do you like it?” Baekbeom was standing on his doorway, arms crossed, a warm brotherly smiled on his face.

“More than I would care to admit.” Baekhyun played a few more notes.

“Hey, brother.” Baekhyun his lips at the unfamiliar word. ”Would you mind if I prep the room a bit?

“No, not at all, Baekkie. It’s your room, do as you like.”

Baekbeom was gone as fast as he appeared. He doesn’t hover as much as their mother, a trait Baekhyun appreciates very much.

Exhaustion forgotten, the whole night and half of the next day’s early morning were spent playing the piano in the middle of his room. He would stop from time to time to rest and would restart another bout. Baekbeom knocked once to bid him good night but did not once complain about the noise he’s probably making.

Perhaps, he would enjoy his time here in Forks.

It was already a quarter past three when sleep and fatigue finally claimed him. And no more than what seems like a few minutes later was Baekhyun up and about, fixing his clothes into the drawers, setting his gadgets on the desk, and putting his notes and books on the available helves. His pianos got a special space beneath his bed with all his music sheets.

Fifty-four minutes before his first class starts, he’d taken a shower and his room was in order. Perfect! Just as he wants it.

Breakfast was quiet which Baekhyun was thankful for, not that he was expecting any conversation. Baekbeom wouldn’t really want to know how his sleep went last night. The darkened patches at the base of his eyes were answers enough. Then again, it was a normal occurrence his brother might’ve already picked up during his stays with Baekhyun and their mother.

“Have fun in school, Baek.” That was all the greeting his brother gave him before he was gone, driving his probably fourth-hand truck to school, a map of the whole town in hand.

 

*

A/N: Hear me out please. This chapter is supposed to be a 12-paged chapter but I cut it coz it’s just too long for me.