Chapter Three : Another Decrepit Troll

Perhaps, Maybe...It Could Be You

A few tables away, Heo Gayoon finally let out a sigh of relief as she watched her dinner date excused himself to the Gents. She sank back onto her seat, propping her arms onto the armrest, resisting the urge to just take off and head home. Not even five minutes into the dinner, she could already sense that it was going to be terrible night for her. She should have listened to her friends instead of agreeing to G.Na’s idea on going on a blind date with her neighbor. She had described him as a ‘passionate, kind, tall handsome’ person. Gayoon was reluctant to be on another blind date, the third time in just two months, but she had to agree to after losing a bet to G.Na, but the best friends, Ji-hyun and Ji-yoon had commented that she was being suicidal.

“Passionate, kind, tall, handsome you say?” Ji-yoon had asked, ticking off each trait with her fingers. “He’s going to be the opposite of whatever G.Na just described. Trust me”.

But Ji-yoon was not all right though. Park Tae-Hee, to begin with, was definitely good looking. He has one of those chiseled features, sharp nose and sharp cheekbones, those piercing dark eyes under solemn eyebrows that were offset by his boyish grin. Gayoon had first noticed that adorable grin when he introduced himself outside her apartment, shaking her hands with a firm grip and holding out the door for her as she slipped into his car. She thought she might have a chance with this guy this time, since the previous two dates did not work out well. The romance department in her life might be picking up this time around but to her disappointment, that dream was shattered when Tae-Hee opened his mouth.

Tae-Hee talks a lot. There was no stopping him. He commented and remarked on everything that Gayoon says and she was finding herself getting easily agitated with the way he was carrying himself. He had this ‘know-it-all’ attitude about him and it took all of her willpower to not throw her five-inch heels to his face when he starting stating out the pros and cons of Gayoon’s dinner selection of the smoked salmon. She thought she could have a good time tonight since they were dining at the Cornerstone, one of her favorite restaurant in town. G.Na might have given the slip to Tae-He about it so Gayoon had given props to that but it came crumbling down when he took a painful long time to decide on the wine they will be having and had proceeded to explain why it’s important to get the right wine. Gayoon had chosen to stay silent the entire time because deep down, she knows she would not be able to hold her tongue once she commented on what her date was saying. By the time their main course came, he was still chattering on and on and Gayoon’s attention was starting to falter. Her eyes had strayed far and away, admiring the other diners who are enjoying each other’s company. The soft laughter, the engaging conversation. Gayoon envied them so much.

It was not until her eyes came into contact with another person and Gayoon found herself drawing into those eyes. He was just sitting by himself at the bar, his head tilting towards her. Gayoon had thought he was staring into space while waiting for someone but she sensed a different thing altogether when he held her gaze. As cliché as it sounds, she felt like they were the only ones in the room. Or maybe because she was bored out of her mind that she was desperate to find any kind of distraction. It was not until the guy was fumbling to take his phone out that Gayoon chose to look away and attempted to focus on Tae-Hee. He was rambling about the latest drug scandal that hit the town and Gayoon only offered a few nods here and there.

“So, where was I just now?” Tae-Hee’s voice interrupted Gayoon’s thoughts all of a sudden. She had not realized that he had returned from the Gents as he slid back into his seat across from her. His eyes darted over her barely untouched dinner and he raised his eyebrows at her. “Aren’t you…going to eat that?” he questioned her and Gayoon picked up a slight irritable tone in his voice.

“I’m going to the Ladies” Gayoon simply told him. She pushed her chair back haughtily and marched to the washroom. After disappearing into the corner that leads to the Ladies, Gayoon pushed opened the glass door leading to the patio instead. She just needs to get out of the stifling situation. She felt her brain cells would die on her if she continues to listen to Tae-Hee’s continuation of the drug scandal. The summer night air greeted her when she stepped out. It was one of those rare summer nights where it’s not too dry or too humid.  

Gayoon stared down at the streets before her, thinking what a wasted night it had been. She could have been in The Dessert Shack now, trying out the new recipe she had in mind. Plus, it was Friday night and she should be there helping everyone out with the crowd instead of being stuck here with Mr. Know-It-All. Gayoon giggled to herself just thinking about the new nickname. She checked the time on her watch and puffed out her cheeks. She had been standing out in the patio for more than ten minutes. Tae-Hee must have been worried. Or will he not?

Gayoon reluctantly dragged her feet to the glass door and swung it opened. The glass door felt heavy in her hand, just like her heart. She stepped into the cool interior of the restaurant and strode back slowly to her table. Her eyes roamed around the restaurant, from its floor to ceiling windows that offers a picturesque view of the city to the open kitchen that provides the diners a glimpse of the Cornerstone chefs’ best works and to tease their sensory pleasure with the scent of fresh seafood and meat prepared in the wood-burning ovens. Gayoon had learnt that the ovens were custom-made for the Cornerstone because of the needed higher temperature as compared to conventional ovens. This is to capture and maintain the essence of the ingredients natural flavors. And it was one of the main factors why Gayoon kept coming back here. She has always loved the excellent fine-dining experience here, together with the fresh gourmet meals the restaurant never fails to offer. Now she does not know whether she will love the place as it is based on tonight’s horrible stint with another date from Hell. She was too immersed with her own thoughts that she did not see the woman approaching her. They both bumped onto each other and Gayoon heard a clatter sound somewhere. Her jaw dropped opened when a bright yellow Nokia Lumia 820 landed a few feet away from her, its screen facing downwards. “Crap!” she cussed to herself.

“M..Mianhe!” Gayoon apologized to the woman. She retrieved the phone praying there’s no scratch on the screen.

“It’s my fault for not looking. I was too busy checking my phone” the woman assured her as Gayoon handed the phone back. The latter gave Gayoon a grateful smile as she surveyed her phone.

“I..Is it scratched? I could get it replace if you want” Gayoon offered as they both peered at the mobile device. To her relief, the woman shook her head. “Ani, no scratch” she told her. Her eyes then fell to Gayoon’s feet and they widened in delight. “Cute shoes!” she commented, casually placing her hand on Gayoon’s arm. Gayoon glanced down at her deep red suede open toe heels and then back at the woman who was still admiring her heels.

“Uh..um..thanks?” Gayoon managed to say with a weak smile. The woman beamed at her and Gayoon had to return a wider smile. There was something about her that makes your world a whole lot better. Gayoon has actually forgotten about Tae-Hee for a while if it was not for his sullen expression she spotted back at their table. He had been observing the whole situation with a bored face and Gayoon politely excused herself from the woman.

“Oh! I’m sorry!” the woman apologized this time, letting go of Gayoon’s arm. “So sorry!” she said once more before dashing to the direction of the Ladies.

Gayoon walked back to the table and was suddenly aware of someone watching her. She cautiously glanced to her left and saw the same guy earlier on at the bar staring at her. He was now seated by the window, his half-eaten dinner in front of him. An empty seat was across him, together with a half-eaten plate of smoked salmon. Gayoon’s stomach growled just thinking about the salmon. She hurriedly took her seat and apologized to Tae-Hee. “Just a bit of accident over there” she added, poking her dinner with the fork.

“You should have watch where you’re going next time” Tae-Hee reprimanded her as he swirled his wine. Gayoon bit her lower lip, ready to lash out at him but the woman she bumped earlier suddenly came emerging out from the Ladies and walked happily back to her table. Gayoon realized that she was the date for the guy at the bar. The one who had been staring at her the whole night.

“What happened back there?” Gayoon heard the guy asked. “Were you busy texting on your phone again? I told you to stop doing that. Someday you’re going to have a broken nose if you don’t watch where you are going”.

Gayoon felt the corners of tugging into a smile after hearing what the guy said. He was indeed scolding the woman but it does not sound too harsh to her ears. In fact, he sounded kind of concerned, not like the way Tae-Hee was telling her off just now. Cold and unsympathetic.

“You nag too much. Just like –“

Gayoon could feel all eyes on their table when a loud shrilling ringing tone suddenly interrupted the fragile romantic setting of the restaurant. Her heart sank in dismay as a few diners frown disapprovingly at them as Tae-Hee answered his phone. He excused himself immediately without giving Gayoon a glance and she felt her face burning with humiliation. She could feel her heartbeat racing mad and she was sure her face was going to turn a livid shade of red if she does not calm herself quickly. She was about to reach out for her glass of wine when she spotted Nokia Lumia (yes, that will be her nickname for tonight) watching her. And so was her date. OK, they have got to be the creepiest couple Gayoon had ever come across.

Nokia Lumia offered a soft sympathetic smile to her. “You OK?” she mouthed, much to Gayoon’s surprise. Gayoon gripped her wine glass and hesitantly nodded. She shifted her gaze to her date, Guy at the Bar. That would be his nickname too. Guy at the Bar blinked at her once and Gayoon thought he looked flustered. He then proceeded to focus his attention on his food instead. Nokia Lumia gave Gayoon another assuring smile before resuming back to her meal. Gayoon a felt a huge lump forming in as she took tiny sips of her wine. This night was not working out well.

 “This is not working out” Gayoon blurted out the moment Tae-Hee came back. He was not even seated properly but Gayoon had to do it before her head explodes. “I’m sorry Tae-Hee. You are…a nice guy but I just don’t feel that we are…compatible” she explained slowly, as she winced painfully inside. It’s better to tell the truth rather than lying through her teeth right?

Tae-Hee stared at her with those dark eyes, all round and wide, his mouth slightly opened. Gayoon twisted the napkin in her hands with a guilty look. “I’m…I’m really sorry” she said again, staring into his eyes.

“B..But I thought everything was going really well” Tae-Hee spoke, his eyebrows knotting in confusion. “I was actually having a nice time, but you were not?” he asked.

Gayoon mustered up a shaky breath. Well, this was not going out as plan. “I feel that you deserve someone else better. I just don’t see us getting along well together…in the near future” she replied.

Tae-Hee slumped back on his seat and cocked his head. “You know what your problem is?” he suddenly said, a hard edge in his voice. Gayoon narrowed her eyes at him. “What?” she wanted to know.

Tae-Hee leaned forward with a sneer. “You think you’re way better than anyone else. You think you’re too good for yourself that you don’t need anyone. You think I wasn’t paying attention to you while I was jabbering on and on about my work or that stupid drug scandal. I’ve met girls like you who are so empowered with yourself and living in your own little world. Well, guess what missy, at the rate you’re going, you’re going to die alone”.

Gayoon could not believe what she was hearing! Did Tae-Hee just throw that in her face? How dare he! “Well, guess what? You’re just another decrepit troll. You think you know things way better than anyone and I don’t care about your stupid opinions on the drug scandal. You’re not Horatio-freaking-Caine so stop acting like you’re the Lieutenant in charge of the case. Or the fact that you think hand-picked grapes are way better than machine harvested grapes for your red wine. And, I much prefer my smoked salmon over your stupid boring steak choice”. It was Gayoon’s turn to give Tae-Hee a victorious smirk as he squirmed uncomfortably in his seat, his eyes darting anywhere but her. “We’re done here” she added before making a move. 

Gayoon grabbed her clutch and strode out of the restaurant, her head held high. How dare he insulted her! G.Na was going to get an earful from her first thing tomorrow morning. Sure there’s that unmistakable superiority aura around her that only a few could pick up (unfortunately, Tae-Hee did) and understand but that does not mean she is domineering or dominant all the time. Only those closest to her will know about her good natured and compassionate personality.

Gayoon let out a frustrated sigh as she took a breather at the bottom of the stairs. She was still reeling mad with what Tae-Hee had said to her. She closed her eyes for a brief moment, listening to the soft classical music playing at the hotel lobby and reasoning with her feisty self. She was still collecting herself when her phone beeped twice. She opened her eyes and fished out the mobile device. When she saw the message send by her father, all thoughts on settling scores with Tae-Hee (it involves his car) disappeared from her mind. Gayoon walked quickly to the front of the hotel and requested for a cab to bring her to the Seoul National University Hospital.