Bad Dream

Bad Dream

In the middle of the night in the dead silence, Jongin watched Sehun toss in his sleep. With the other members sleeping in their appropriate rooms, there wasn't much to do at this time, but the moment Sehun first whimpered in his dreams, Jongin rolled onto his side to observe his best friend and roommate. After knowing the younger for several years already, he knew Sehun was usually a peaceful sleeper, resting silently and still on a normal basis. However this night, that was not the case.

Jongin frowned when Sehun whimpered once more, clutching onto his pink doll tightly and burying his face in it as if to hide from something. Was he having a nightmare? Jongin climbed out of bed, careful not to wake the other, and settled himself on the floor beside Sehun's bed.

Sehun grimaced, a deep frown etched onto his face as he rolled further onto his side towards Jongin, as if sensing the other boys' presence. Jongin gently brushed Sehun's bangs away, showing his face more clearly now.

Sehun was indeed having a nightmare, Jongin deducted, as he discovered tears collecting on the sleeping boys' eyelashes. Jongin caught the tears that had started rolling down Sehun's cheeks, debating whether he should wake the boy up.

"Is your dream very frightening?" Jongin pondered aloud, sighing as he rested his head on Sehun's mattress. "What do you want me to do, Sehun?"

Sehun made no sort of response of course, except a sniff a he cried in his dreams, and Jongin wondered what it could possibly be that has Sehun so upset. There wasn’t much in the world that seemed to frighten the boy that knew of at least.

Making a hasty decision, Jongin shakes Sehun roughly, trying to wake Sehun back to reality away from the night terrors tormenting him. It works, Sehun gasping as his eyes shoot open and immediately catches Jongin's concerned expression staring down at him.

"…Jongin?" Sehun asks groggily, voice sounded hoarse with the drowsiness of sleep still clinging to him. "What...?"

"You were having a nightmare," Jongin tells him, allowing Sehun to catch his bearings. He Sehun’s hair when the younger tries to even out his heavy, quickened breathing.

Sehun blinks, his mouth slightly parted as he remembers. "Oh," he mutters before glancing at his friend apologetically. "Sorry if I woke you."

Jongin shakes it off as be responds, "I was already awake. Um, you okay now?"

Sehun shrugs, "Yeah, I think so."

Jongin chews in his lip, observing his tired roommate. Sehun looks anxious and it's clear he remembers what he was previously dreaming about and it doesn't take a genius to understand it's bothering him.

"Do you...want to talk about it?" Jongin asks, surprising Sehun from his thoughts. "I mean, sometimes it helps me after I've had a bad dream or something..."

Sehun shrugs again, an often reoccurring habit of his as a substitute answer.

"There's no reason to be embarrassed about bad dreams either," Jongin adds in response to his friend's reluctance.

Sehun hums in acknowledgement. "I know, but it wasn't even that scary. It just really bothered me is all," Sehun mutters, staring at the pattern on his comforter, barely visible in the darkened room.

Jongin nods in understanding. A thought comes to him and he's chuckling to himself before getting off the floor. He pushes Sehun to make room before forcing himself into the small bed, climbing under the covers as he cuddles into Sehun's side. Sehun is uncomfortable, frowning at his friend who is grinning playfully at him. "What are you doing?"

"Clearly I'm lying in your bed," Jongin answers, relaxing into the left side of the pillow. "I'm sleeping here tonight."

"Says who?"

"Says me."

Sehun sighs, not bothering to argue anymore (he’s too tired for that), before following suit in laying down to get comfortable. He doesn't even care when Jongin wraps an arm around his shoulder to create a bit more room and to share warmth.

Both are quiet, their breathing slowly becoming timed to each other. Neither are sleeping, both boys aware as they make frequent movements of their feet and hands.

"What were you doing awake before?" Sehun suddenly asks, breaking the silence between them.

Jongin huffs in cluelessness. "I don't know. I just couldn't sleep. Maybe I had too much sugar before bed or something."

Sehun nods before falling silent again, a brooding expression on his face. Jongin peeks over, frowning at Sehun's somber expression.

"Maybe you should try smiling," he suggests to the younger. "I heard somewhere that if you fall asleep smiling, you'll wake up in a good mood."

"I feel too tired to try smiling. My face muscles feel dead," Sehun mumbles in response. He'd heard that somewhere too, but he just wasn't interested in testing that theory at this moment.

"Do you need anything?" Jongin asks. "To prevent more nightmares? Maybe I could draw a dream catcher real quick. Would that even work?"

Sehun shrugs. He isn't sure either, but he's betting on it not working. He doesn't even know if those things are legit.

"You know I'm here for you right?" Jongin tells him, worry evident in his tone. "You're my best friend. I'm always here for you."

Sehun warms at the words. He knows that, but sometimes he forgets. He doesn't usually lean on anyone, but he's always willing to comfort anyone.

"Sometimes I just need a reminder," Sehun answers.

"Are you going to sleep now?"

"I don't know. Maybe."

"Okay," Jongin gives in, turning so that the sides of their heads are touching on the pillow. "Goodnight, Sehun. I can make you breakfast in the morning if you want," he offers, feeling himself now becoming drowsy in the warm bed.

"No thanks. I don't want food poisoning."

"It's just cereal..."

"With your skill, you'd still manage to poison me. Goodnight."

The two laid close to one another, cuddled into each other’s' warmth as their steady breathing lulled them to sleep. Sehun didn't have any more bad dreams for the rest of the night, not that it had anything to do with his new bed buddy.