MELTED

200% IT MUST BE L.O.V.E.

 

 

Ommo! Ommo!

 

I’m late.  My brother didn’t wake me up. Aist!

 

I quickly changed into my school uniform.  Brushed my tangled hair with my fingers as I grabbed my school things scattered on the floor of my messy bedroom.

 

I ran downstairs two steps at a time.  I almost slipped on the last step but, luckily I was able to land on both feet.  I just grabbed a cookie on the table.  My Mom always keeps them ready in times like this.

 

With a cookie on my mouth, I ran as fast as I could.  I need to catch the school bus or else I’ll be late for school.  And I’ll miss another opportunity to sit with him in the bus.

 

I could see the yellow bus turning the corner of our street.  I sprinted to the corner like a true sprinter.  The bus door was already closing and I kept yelling to the driver to wait for me.

 

Luckily, another poor soul woke up late like me.  He tapped the side of the bus to make the driver stop.  I sighed in relief when the automatic door slowly opened.  I quickly got up the school bus and looked for an empty seat.

 

It must be my lucky day.  A two-seater is still empty.  I occupied the window seat.  When I looked at the front of the bus, there he is.  My next door neighbor.  He was my knight in shining armor a while ago.  He spotted the only empty seat next to me. Without any second thought, he walked forward. 

 

I kept my gaze at him.  Is he really going to sit next to me?

 

I think my heart is about to explode.  Everything was in slow motion.  Surreal even. 

 

I died when he finally settled next to me.  I couldn’t breathe.  The cookie in my hand already turned to small crumbles.  I didn’t notice I was crushing the poor cookie.

 

I had to open window to make my breathing normal.  I’m suffocating with so much excitement.  My toes were curling with too much giddiness.

 

What a great day!

 

He looked at the window.  His forehead creasing.  Doesn’t he like me to open the window?

 

I wanted to start a conversation with him but, my tongue just had a heart attack.  It was paralyzed all throughout the bus ride to school.  I just contented myself looking at his side profile which he seems not to mind at all. 

 

The other kids keep striking a conversation with him.  He is really popular even to the lower classes.  Everybody wants a piece of his mind.  Joking around and asking him for advice or something. 

 

Why I couldn’t be like him?  It seems so easy for him to talk while I just hide in a corner even when someone approaches me at school.

 

I started humming the song my brother composed a few days ago.  It was a sad song but, it’s very poetic.  I think it’s the most mature song Chan-hyuk has written.  He doesn’t know I was sneaking in his room poking at his things.  When I saw the unfinished piece on his table, I instantly fell in love with the song.  I think he wrote it especially for me.  I can feel his sincerity in every lyrics.  It almost moved me to tears.

 

I felt my seatmate stiffened.  I stopped humming.  He looked around him as if listening for something.  His body relaxed after a while. 

 

I watched every muscle on his face tensed and relaxed.  We were so close I could see the pores on his skin.  I could smell the light cologne he uses everyday.  I almost cried out when I noticed the feathery mustache growing on top of his upper lip.  He is slowly turning to a man.  No wonder all the girls in school are fighting to get his attention.

 

I hid my smiling face from him.  I don’t want him to think I have gone crazy. 

 

Coz I scored today.  I got to sit next to him.

 

I mentally congratulated myself for waking up late this morning.  I’ll remind myself to thank my brother for not waking me up.

 

I started humming the same song again.  Chan-hyuk called it “Melted”.

 

To my surprise, the source of my happiness suddenly got up from his seat.  He looked straight to my eyes with sadness.  I wanted to ask him what happened, but he had turned his back before I could even speak. 

 

Does my humming bother him? 

 

Why does he looked so sad?

 

Is he angry at me?

 

When the bus reached the school, he was the first to get off.  He was in a hurry.  I don’t know how I managed to catch up with him.  I found myself at the rooftop.  He was standing near the edge with his head down.

 

I wanted to approach him.  Ask him what happened.  I could apologize if it’s my humming that ruined his mood.  I could have stopped if he just asked me.

 

I finally gathered my courage to talk to him when I heard someone running up the stairs.

 

It was her.  That girl.

 

She didn’t hesitate approaching him.

 

“Ju-hyuk Oppa!”  She called as she ran to where he was.

 

He turned around.  My heart twisted when I saw his devastated face.  I unconsciously stepped closer to them.

 

“I heard her voice.  It was so clear as if she was singing next to me.”

 

“Oppa.”

 

What is he saying?  Didn’t he notice me sitting next to him in the bus?  Our shoulders were even touching.  Am I really invisible to him? 

 

I was about to speak when she beats me to it.

 

“You’re just imagining things.  It must be one of those memories you had together.  She loves singing and you’re her greatest fan.  But, she’s already gone.  You have to move on with your life.”

 

Gone?  Who’s gone?  I’m here.  Are these two blind?

 

“Suhyun is gone.  You have to let go of her memories.  I’m here to help you.”

 

NO!  I’m here.  I’m standing right here.  I never left.

 

I felt my body slowly disappearing.  I grabbed on to the nearest chair, but it fell as soon as I held it.

 

“Suhyun.  She’s here.”  He stepped towards the fallen chair.

“Oppa! Stop talking nonsense. Suhyun is dead!  She's gone.  She is not coming back."

"NO! That's not true.  She was just sitting next to me in the bus.  She was just singing and humming right beside me.  It was his brother's song."

Ju Hyuk was desperate. He was not imagining things.  Suhyun never left him.

"Oppa, please. It's been six months since the accident.  You have to let her go."

"You're lying."

"Maybe it's time to pay her a visit.  She's been waiting for you."

"You're lying."

Ju Hyuk felt the energy drained from his body.  He collapsed on the concrete floor kneeling.  Warm tears fell on top of his hands clutching the fabric of his trousers.

"I'll tell Chanyuk we're coming to see Suhyun after class."

 

 

AN

I was so inspired by AKMU.  I couldn't stop writing while their album repeats on my headphone.  

I hope you like my story.

AKMU FIGHTING!!!