Chapter 4: A Sorry Plight

A Chance at Love
Chapter 4: A Sorry Plight

 

 

“It’s all your fault!”

Gi Yeon whined to Ji Rin. If not for her friend finding the silver chain on the floor and sending her after that guy, Gi Yeon’s hand would’ve been spot-free.

“Stop laughing right now or I’ll kill you!”

The healthy voice of a girl’s laughter could be heard three floors above and Gi Yeon was sure to burst open her brain any minute. Her country dialect was already coming into action. Apparently, spilling the beans of her embarrassment to her flat-mate proved to be hazardous to her pride. Ji Rin just couldn’t stop laughing.

“I’m giving you last warning Lee Ji Rin, stop laughing right this moment or I will…”

Finally the hysteric laughter stopped for a minute for Ji Rin to comment, “I can totally imagine your face…” and…it started again.

“Aishh jinjjaaaa!”

Bellowing, Gi Yeon spotted her slippers on the floor and quickly picked one to leverage her threat, “I’m seriously going to hit you with this! Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

When even that final heads-up wasn’t heeded by the laughing maniac, the helpless slipper was eventually pitched at the offender. Ji Rin expertly ducked to save herself but the slipper didn’t have such ability to save itself from the hurtful flight out of the living room window.

“Omo!”

“See what you did now?!” Ji Rin cracked, more amused than ever.

“Argh! It’s your fault… again!”

Bypassing the elevator, Gi Yeon descended the stairs as quickly as possible with one slipper on. Jumping off the last two steps, she hit the landing and out in the small compound. Messing her brown hairs, she looked around for her footwear but soon came face to face with someone she never expected to meeting again-- especially not the exact morning where she managed to look like a train-wreck.

“Ma Gi Yeon?”

“Y-Young Saeng oppa…”

--- ---

“You guys know each other?” Kyu Jong asked coming up behind his friend carrying a cardboard-box.

“Ma Gui? How can someone be named Ma Gui (devil)?”

Oh my luck! It’s the jerk from the club.

“Hyun Joong hyung be nice. She’s my cousin.”

“She’s your cousin?” asked Young Saeng with a combination of confusion and surprise written on his face.

Kyu Jong nodded and before he could ask anything else…

“Oh coffee yah?”

Even the “sunbae Park Jung Min” is here! Could this get any worse?

The girl in her baby-blue pajamas could feel her skin turn ashen.

“How come everyone knows my cousin?” Kyu Jong asked, brows furrowed and ignoring Hyun Joong mumbling in the background, “Coffee? That’s even a weirder name.”

“I don’t!” a baby faced boy with semi-blond hairs piped up. “Although… I think the thing that hit my shoulder belongs to her.”

--- ---

The slamming of the front door pulled Ji Rin out of her bedroom, looking frantic. At the sight of her friend plastered to the wall beside the main door she heaved a sigh. “Yah I thought someone broke into the house…”

But Gi Yeon was past registering anything except for her heartbeat that was racing like thousand wild horses. She couldn’t believe her fate. One minute life was bliss and the next it was a catastrophe.

Just across her flat, were the handful of boys –albeit heavenly gorgeous— who knows her one way or the other and may have the worst of her impressions imprinted on their brains.

Such small world!

“Hey, do we have new neighbors moving in?”

Gi Yeon lifted her gaze to the girl who was peeking out the door at the activity in the corridor. Her expressions dark as she almost growled, “Neighbors? No, they’re the Grim Reapers!”

“Well, I wouldn’t mind dying if Grim Reapers are that handsome,” Ji Rin cooed without looking at Gi Yeon.

“Why them?! Out of all the population in this over-abundant universe, why does it have to be them?!”

How can fate be so cruel?!!

Just moments ago she wanted to avenge her wrist. Now she had few apologies to add to her bucket-list.

“Why… oh why…”

“Are you okay Gi Yeon ah? I think the alcohol last night got to your brain…” Ji Rin patted her friend’s shoulder, looking skeptical. “Go and please rest for a while. I’ll fix you some breakfast. Hm?”

Suddenly the doorbell rang and Gi Yeon shrieked, “Don’t open it!”

Too late…

“It’s just newspaper. God! Stop acting like a maniac!”

“…”

--- ---

When pacing up and down the apartment wasn’t enough to calm her nerves, Gi Yeon went out. Returning from the nearby convenience store with some groceries, Gi Yeon saw a familiar profile waiting for the elevator. She needed to clear a few things out with him.

However, she stopped a few paces behind, debating what to say. But before she could decide, the elevator arrived with a ding and the guy stepped in.

“Aren’t you getting on?”

The boy asked and she had no other choice.

As soon as the elevator doors closed, she started, “What did you actually tell them?”

“About what?”

Heol, he’s being ignorant now!

She rolled her eyes. “About us, what else?!”

“Ah…”

The slow responses were testing Gi Yeon’s patience. She whined, “Oppa!”

“Wae?” The boy replied again calmly. It had been a while he messed with this girl and even though they didn’t have pleasant last memories, he still missed her. Not that he would ever admit.

He looked at his shoulder. Gi Yeon was pouting.

“I told them we were neighbors,” replied the brunette male then paused to narrow eyes at the girl, “But is it really true you ran away from home?”

“Kyu Jong oppa told you that!?”

Why did he? Gi Yeon sighed before focusing on the former part of the sentence. What? Just neighbors? Not even friends?

Suddenly Gi Yeon was all angry inside for no apparent reason.

"No, actually eomma told me that. Kyu just confirmed it." 

Huh? His mother? Gi Yeon thought for a moment and then it struck her. But of course! Their mothers were friends and Gi Yeon needed to tell her eomma to stop being a busybody.

A message alert interrupted the boy’s reply. Trying to take a peek at the content of the message, Gi Yeon quickly straightened and looked away when the guy eyed her, pushing his phone in his pocket.

“I was really surprised, you know. Ma Gi Yeon who couldn’t step out of her house without her parents’ consent actually made it all the way to Seoul.”

“Ma Gi Yeon that you remember was a sixteen year old girl. I’m not the same anymore,” Gi Yeon replied testily, before adding “Besides, do you even remember me at all, Heo Young Saeng ssi?”

She had just finished her say when the elevator doors open at her floor and she exited without a look back.

Young Saeng watched the girl almost bump into an elderly woman in the corridor before bowing to her and entering her apartment. He couldn’t help but chuckle. “Who are you kidding?” This girl just couldn’t change.

 

A/N: "Ma Gui" means  devil in korean.

I actually came up with the name from 'SS501's Big Mama' when Kyu Jong oppa named his baby 'Go Ma Gui' and members said who'd name their baby devil. xD

P.S. Thankyu so much for subscribing and reading the story! (: