Chapter 2: Day of Apologies

A Chance at Love
Chapter 2: Day of Apologies

 

 

Ma Gi Yeon’s basic set of worries flew by to some distant place when Kyu Jong took matters into hands. After a string of interrogative questions accompanied with a steaming bowl of ramyun and pint of reprimanding glares, they were on their way to a roof that ought to be Gi Yeon’s sanctuary for time being.

“But I’m not going back!”

“Yah Ma Gi Yeon!”

“Oppa! I…I can’t go now… I hardly ran away from home...”

The girl was proving to be more stubborn than he had assumed. But her parents had to be notified or else…

“Oppa… Can’t you keep it a secret? Huh? Just... just for a few days then I’ll call my parents, deal?”

The boy had no choice but to give up. “Only a few days after that—“

“Neh!” giggling she looked around at the people in the train before they reached an apartment building.

--- ---

Introductions were small matters, the girl that Gi Yeon would be sharing the apartment with turned out to be Kyu Jong’s friend’s first cousin’s friend –give or take a few people in that chain— and a pretty friendly person. That may be the reason why Gi Yeon didn’t missed her home and parents all too much or perhaps not enough to break down into hysterical sobs…after the third time in her first two weeks.

Kyu Jong made it duty to look after his cousin; visiting her twice a week and calling her often.

As promised, Gi Yeon called her parents to reveal her whereabouts and the rest of the tale of the short time she spent in Seoul. Her mother went berserk and the father even warned to disown her if she didn’t return in a day. But Gi Yeon was determined to not let that chiding become her road-block. Not that her father owned anything valuable to disinherit her from anyway.

Enrolling for a degree in media arts, her first of winters, snowfall, springs and autumns were as good as it could get in a new city, new atmosphere.

Shedding off country accent as much as she could and the awe she seemed to carry at watching the city’s sparkles followed a few substantial changes in her routine habits. With no one to reproach for not eating properly or sleeping on time, tardiness became a custom and contributed to being fifteen minutes late on her first day of summer internship in an advertising agency.

It needed no explanation for the gruffness she was bestowed upon by the supervisor.

“Advertisement world works on tight deadlines and tardiness is not allowed under any circumstances, didn’t I tell you that already Ma Gi Yeon ssi? Are you sure you are serious about your internship? If not, you can leave now!”

Gi Yeon dared not lift her head, perplexed between nodding for the first question and shaking head for the second. She did both. “I’m really sorry. I’m really, really sorry! I promise it won’t happen again.”

Well, she got the gum off her hair for that time but living up to her clumsiness she soon dived into another trauma in a matter of five minutes into the office.

“All right, I accept your apology,” The woman sniffed, holding up her chin. Gi Yeon got an arrogant vibe coming from that lady in pastel pink office-wear.

“So your first task for today is,” the lady spoke again after showing Gi Yeon her desk, “get three cup of coffee from the coffee shop across the road. One Caffe Mocha and two Americanos. Palli!”

Gi Yeon barely let out a ‘Mwoh?’ before she was shooed off. “Within five minutes! I’m counting…”

“Aish !!! Michigetta! What have I gotten myself into?!”

Getting a coffee in the morning within five minutes when there was already a long queue holding up was a task worth appreciating. Not that she was expecting any pleasant words coming out of the unyielding supervisor.

She quickly looked at her wrist watch for the time-check and gasped, “Eesh, it’s already over five minutes!!”

She needed to quicken her walk. Entering the lobby she looked towards the elevator that already had people lining up for their turn so she resorted on stairs, taking two steps at a time. Reaching the top, she almost ran and just needed to take a turn for the double doors when a collision happened.

Horrorstricken, Gi Yeon looked at the mess of liquids merging together onto the carpeted floor and soaking a pair of black polished shoes. Watching her painstaking effort of gaining the coffee seeping down the floor was a hard blow and for a minute she simply sat on the floor not listening to the voice ranting over her head.

“Yah! Are you listening?!”

“Huh?”

Finally lifting her head, she saw a tall good-looking male frowning down at her. “Miss, Look what you did?!”

I did?! “Excuse me?! You came out of nowhere and look what you did? You ruined all my hard work!” Gi Yeon exploded.

The man seemed shocked for a second before he composed his stern expressions. “How dare you talk to your seniors like that? Are you new here? What’s name huh?”

Omona! I bumped into a senior. Pabo Gi Yeon!

At the drop of a hat, Gi Yeon quickly stood up bowing endlessly, apologizing, “I’m sorry! Really very sorry sunbae nim! Really very sorry! I’m new here… Please don’t complain about me to anyone.”

It seemed like today was an ‘apologizing day’ for Gi Yeon but heck she’d do whatever needed to stay employed at this place for two months.

The man’s expression softened dramatically. “Gwenchana! I’ll forgive you this time. What’s your name again?”

Gi Yeon opened but exactly then the door behind them opened, revealing the supervisor. “What are you two doing here? Standing idly would get anything done, do you think?” She snapped, especially as her eyes hovered over the male employee then drifted off to Gi Yeon. “Follow me inside. Both of you!”

Relieved that the lady didn’t remember the coffee, Gi Yeon wondered why supervisor Jung was talking to a senior employee like that. Her confusion was soon diminished when the new interns were asked to introduce themselves before assigning them to a team and a rather buoyant introduction caught her attention.

“Annyeonghaseyo! I’m the charismatic and hardworking Park Jung Min. Please take care of me.”