Reflection

The Beauty Academy

CHAPTER 003

It was morning of the day the representative would come. MinHee already changed into casual clothing prepared the representative. She looked up at the ceiling and pushed the tears out of eyes. Things were going by too fast. Its been one week. One hard week. I've lost my parents and signed myself into big trouble, MinHee thought. And in the first time this week, she started to cry. 

She wept for her loss, for her new life. Tears fell across her cheeks and she impatiently brushed them away. MinHee curled into a ball and brought the covers over her body. Reality finally hit her--hard.

The door creaked open, and she watched as a silhouette of a man walked in. It wasn't the representative; it was too narrow, too quiet. MinHee quickly tried to cover her face from her tears and emotion. The silhouette suddenly stopped and spoke. 

"It's ok to cry." The voice was smooth and soft.

MinHee slowly closed her eyes and listened to the voice that calmed her.

"Cry. Get your emotions out. You're going to have harder days. Shh...it's going to be alright." The shadow finally made its way to her bedside, and a cold hand rested on her forehead. It calmed her. Tears trickled out of her eyes and constricted. Soon, she fell asleep once more.

                                                                               ---         ---        ---         ---

MinHee sat up. "Ready to go?" A voice next to her sounded. It was obviously the representive. That sarcastic drawl couldn't be replaced anywhere. 

"Yeah." She suddenly remembered the cold hand and the soothing voice. "Who came in here...maybe a few hours ago? When I was sleeping?" MinHee asked the rep, who looked confused and shook his head.

"I don't know. C'mon, let's go." He took MinHee by the arm and led her out of the hospital room. They travelled silently, down the elevator and past Dr. Nam, who waved sorrowfully goodbye. They stepped out of building, and she looked up at the sky. She was back out, in Seoul. 

The wind blew at her hair and face. The skirt she was wearing fluttered, and she smiled for the first time since the accident. MinHee followed the representative down the street, getting stares from everyone.

"Do I look that bad?" MinHee shuddered. "I don't even know what I look like now..."

The rep stopped and turned. "...Yeah its different than how you remember, I guess. Care to see?" He brought out his cellphone. "Check yourself in the reflection. It's all I have now."

MinHee, with shaking hands, slowly took the electronic object. Bringing the phone up to her face, she brought her eyes up, to focus on the screen.

And promptly dropped the phone.

"HEY! What do you think you're doing?" The representative angrily cried out. "Careful with that--" He stopped as he saw MinHee sank to her knees. "Wha...you ok? MinHee!"

MinHee sat in shock. 
Why?

Because the reflection that stared back at her was nothing she ever imagined. Her features had been hightened into beauty, her face carved into a picture of loveliness.


 

She was beautiful--not a victim of a car crash.