The start

Literature, Love

Sometimes i wonder if my misfortune has anything to do with karma. All my days are nothing more than an endless sky of grey. It's kind of ironic considering that for some odd reason I decided on wearing grey clothes today.

Even looking out the window no longer brought joy as our considerably cold spring was no more than a disappointment trying to pass itself for a landscape. To make the matters worse; it's Monday.

Usually i have nothing against Mondays, but it changed a couple of weeks back when this unbelievably hyper student switched courses and ended up in the same Literature class as me. I have Literature courses as the first two hovers on Mondays and the past few weeks it has been no less than hell. This new student was one of those people who felt the need to express his opinion to everybody. You know, one of those people who interrupt the class to have a verbal battle with the teacher trying to prove their point by taking away the time that could have been used for studying the actual subject.

 Weird part about it was the fact that i was annoyed not by him interrupting the class but by the fact that i disagreed with every single word that came out of his mouth. But of course i would never say anything. I was not dump enough to turn the matter into a three way battle between me, him and the teacher.

Right now he and the teacher were deep into one of their battles that they tried to pass as 'discussions'. Even thought my face carried the expression of pure boredom I was listening to their discussion closely and taking mental notes on every fact that he was wrong about.

Today's 'discussion' topic was Shakespeare's Hamlet. The pink haired transfer student (i refer to him as such because in the past two weeks i didn't care enough to find out his name) was trying to base the tragic end to Hamlets story onto Hamlets mental instability whilst the teacher told him that by making such an assumptions he would miss the whole point of the story. Eventually, as usual, the teacher ran out of arguments and gave up on the matter at hand all together. I watched from the corner of my eye how the smirk grew on the pink haired boys face. I rolled my eyes.

After the class was over i gathered my things and tried to stand up, but noticed that a hand was blocking my way. I looked up and saw the same pink haired boy that has been troubling my thoughts for the past two weeks.

"What's your problem?" he asked. Quit a nerve this kid had.

"Excuse me? You're the one that is currently violating my personal space or am i imagining things?" 'Treat the people the way they treat you' has been my motto since i started attending this school.

"You know exactly what i mean 'grey phantom', you sit there as if the rest of the world is nothing but a blur to you yet you always react to everything i say with some 'smart-' facial expression but never say a word. Honestly i started to doubt you knew how to talk." with every word his voice filled with spite.

"Is that it 'Bubble-gum'? Do my facial expressions bother you that much? Frankly, unlike you, i prefer not to waste the time of other students by points of view that had nothing to do with the play whatsoever."

"Bubble-gum?"

"Oh, what, we are suddenly not playing the nickname game? I thought since you called me the 'grey phantom' i had all the rights in the world to call you something equally stupid. By the way, from everything i said was that really the only part you noticed? Now i get it.... it's not that you misunderstood Shakespeare's play, it's that you hear only what you want."

"Wow, wow, hold up! Don't you dare think you got me all figured out! I heard everything you said including the part about you not liking my points of view."

"It's not that i don't like them, it's just that i disagree. You blaming Hamlet for everyone dyeing is stupid. He had lost his father, then seen his father’s ghost who had told him that the killer was Hamlets uncle. Now you can call that mental instability all you want, I mean after all the kid had seen a ghost, but what about all those other people who claimed to see him as well? Were they mentally unstable as well? Or is everybody Hamlet knows on drugs and just seeing the same hallucination? That is exactly where your theory crumbles, isn't it?"

"If Hamlet was not the one being mentally unstable the it had to be Shakespeare himself." he said falling deep into thoughts and finally stepping away from me.

"That i agree upon. No one could have written hamlet without the usage of drugs." i said swaying my bag onto my shoulder and beginning to exit the now empty classroom. Before i had the time to exit, i heard his voice speak to me once again:

"If you had all this opinion then why do you never say anything?" I didn't turn to face him because his voice was weak enough to understand that he didn't want me to look at him.

"Because unlike you, I don't need other people’s approval to have an opinion of my own." I said.

"How can you say such thing when you don't even know me?"

"But you don't know me, yet you've made assumptions of your own. Now that we've established who doesn't know who I consider myself excused." and with those words I left the room and didn't look back.

 

---<3---

 

Whole week had passed and within that week I and 'Bubble-gum' never met once. But today was Monday and we were once again in the Literature class. 'Bubble-gum' was on a roll today; we were barely 15 minutes into the class while he already found a topic to argue about with the teacher. I was listening peacefully to their argument, when suddenly:

"What is your opinion on this matter? I found out you have a lot of those..." he said looking at me in an almost mocking way.

"Huh?" was all i was able to master because of the surprise state i was in.

"Come on, i know you were listening. What is your opinion?" he repeated himself, but this time made his words flow slower. It made me feel like a delinquent. I heard whispers coming from the rest of the class.

"You are not dragging me into this 'Bubble-gum'!" that only fuelled the whispers even more.

"I wish you would stop calling me that!" he said in a strict tone.

"And i wish you would stop bothering the teacher, but i guess we're both out of luck." i replied in my usual sarcastic manner. The whispers in the class turned into a full-on conversation that took good 10 minutes to quiet down.  'Bubble-gum' and I used those 10 minutes to stare each other down but it seemed like there would be no winner in this silent battle either.

The rest of the hour went by uneventful.

 

---<3---

 

Week after week we turned the Literature class into a full-blown verbal wrestling match, neither of us bothering to hold back. The teacher was our unofficial judge and the students found us to be their morning entertainment.

Even though I found 'Bubble-gum’s' provocations annoying, i was also somewhat thankful to him. He helped me out of my shell and taught me to open up more to other people. Despite all of that, there was nothing i hated more than losing to him.

Our battles went on for almost three months by now and today's was for some reason extra heated. Where we finally getting sick of each other? Other students were only happier because of it. We found out long ago that our fellow students started to make bets on who would win the next argument.

This time we went too far, and the teacher had to break us off, which meant that the argument ended in a draw. I heard some disappointed hisses coming from the students but i was too pissed to care.

It was one of those rare days when our arguments continued outside of the classroom.

We were walking across the schools courtyard, making more noise than necessary, and nearing the building our next classes were held at.

When we finally turned the corner and away from curious eyes, he pinned me to the buildings wall and stared deeply into my eyes.

"What the..." he kissed me passionately on the lips, before i had the time to finish my sentence.

"Do you ever shut up?" He asked smiling.

"No, and it’s all your fault." I said. We kissed again.

"I know this is odd.... but what’s your name?" I said looking away because of embarrassment. He laughed.

"I'd be offended, but i don't know yours either. I'm JiYong by the way."

 

---<3---

That is it.

I haven't written in almost a year.

I hope you all enjoyed reading

 and didn't find this story to be the waste of your time.

Comments appreciated.

Keep in mind that English is my third language.

Until next time.

Thank you all for reading!