The Gift

Secret Garden

The screaming sound of kyuhyun sent siwon in a tizzy. He ran leaving his car and everything behind. Only one thought dominated his mind. Was his baby kyu okay? Was he hurt? What would he do, if his baby kyu was hurt because of him? He would never forgive himself, if his rude behavior caused the maknae to hurt himself.

 

In the rush to get to kyuhyun who had kept on in intervals forcing the already shaken siwon to trip and fall a couple of times, maneuvering through a fairly open path through the woods. He had no idea where he was heading, he was blindly following kyuhyun’s voice in an effort to reach him as fast as he could.

 

After running for few minutes, the woods cleared up and siwon was welcomed by a traditional Japanese style built house. The house was beautiful, black color tiles adorned the roof of the two story structure. The walls were painted in pristine white and had teak wood panel work on the doors. There was a beautiful koi pond, a little left of the house, with bamboo stalks in the pond making sounds while hitting a great black stone slab in the center of the pond.

 

The house was surrounded by tastefully done landscape that siwon noticed when he started moving to the back of the house to fully take in the beauty the house was. It was very simply built, nothing lavish but somehow the house, the surrounding garden full of flowering and fruit trees was familiar to him. There was nagging feeling of deju-vu when he traced his hands on the wooden panels of the house and the concrete walls. There were some memories that were hiding in the back of his mind that allowed him to easily make way through the house and its many rooms and come out to the other side of the house.

 

When he opened the door to the back yard he saw a majestic Cherry Blossom tree in full bloom. The wind blowing was carrying loose blossom petals all over the garden. With so many petals swirling in the air, the atmosphere was filled with a heady aroma emanating from the cherry blossoms.

 

Siwon held out his hand and caught a few petals in his hand and took a whiff, it smelled of nostalgia. He started walking towards the tree as if he was in a trance. Being in the familiar house, surrounded by sounds known to his ears, smelling the scent in the air and feeling the wind dance on his skin, he felt a string pull him back to the past.

 

When he reached the tree, his hands instinctively sought out an engraving on the trunk of the tree. It was not very pronounced but if searched minutely, a part of the truck near the lowest branch, about few inches from the ground had the words ‘Siwon and Grandma - 1994’ engraved.

 

 That is when the memories hit him like a tidal wave; he was overwhelmed by the scenes and sounds of his memories. Memories of those glorious summers he spent in this house with his beloved grandma. This house was the same one his grandma had, but what siwon could not wrap his head around was the fact, how a house from Osaka, Japan found its way to outskirts of Seoul, Korea?

 

When he was busy trying to come up with a rational explanation for the presence of the house, siwon felt a presence behind him. Even though there was no indication of a person approaching him, siwon felt a presence behind him and when he turned around he saw kyuhyun standing there just paces away from him.

 

“Kyu…?”

 

Kyuhyun came up to siwon with a smile on his face. It was the first siwon had addressed him as kyu, instead of his full name that he had been using since he had met him today.

 

Seeing kyuhyun in front of him, siwon came back to self and realized how he had come across the place in the first place. He had come running because he heard kyuhyun scream and his consequent moans.

 

Siwon rushed towards kyu and started to pat down every inch of the maknae’s body to establish he was okay, at least physically.

 

“I am alright wonnie. I am not hurt.” Kyu smiled seeing the concerned expression his lover was wearing.

 

“Are you sure kyu? Tell me if something hurts. Did you perhaps had a fall?” siwon held kyu close to him, afraid to let the younger go.

 

“I am seriously alright won. See, no bruises, nothing. I am in much better shape than you.” Kyu than touched siwon’s knuckles that had scraped when he had taken a fall while searching for kyu. Siwon hissed when kyu pulled up his sleeves to see that there were more bruises decorating his arms and a few skid marks on his jeans but no broken skin on his legs.

 

“I am glad you are okay.” Siwon pulled kyu in a bone crushing hug. The hug was part due to relief and part to divert kyu’s attention for the small bruises siwon had managed to collect on the way to reach him. He could sense there was a lecture waiting for him on taking care of his health and all that jazz, but right now he was just glad to find his beloved kyu alright and in his arms.

 

A particularly strong wind blew a huge mass of blossom petals forcing both the loves to cover their faces from the wayward petals. It also managed to bring siwon to another pressing situation in front of him.

 

“Kyu, what is all this? Where did this house come from? Are we supposed to be here?”

 

Detangling himself from the embrace, kyu held siwon’s hand and led him to cherry blossom tree and then proceeded to sit beneath it, pulling siwon along with him.

 

“Do you remember whose house and garden it is?”

 

“Yes, it belonged to my grandmother. But it was in Osaka, how come it is here? I thought at first it was a replica but, the house, the garden, everything still feels the same. Even the engraving on this tree is the same.”

 

“It’s because it is the same house. The tree, the pond, everything is the same. I had it shipped into Seoul a few days ago.”

 

Siwon still looked confused. “But how could you move the house and the garden? Moreover why did you do it?”

 

“I know how much your grandmother meant to you. You were devastated at her loss. It was only fitting that I help you treasure some of her memories.”

 

“But I thought that the house was lost when I was young. I distinctly remember that father had to sell it when the business was in trouble. And when we were capable of acquiring it back, grandmother left us…” siwon was getting emotional thinking about is grandmother.

 

Kyuhyun engulfed siwon into a hug to comfort him.

 

“Being away from her all these years and then her passing away, it seemed to me that my memories of her were fading. I felt so guilty thinking that I could not spend more time with her, when she was healthy.”

 

“Hey, siwonnie…” kyuhyun was wiping siwon’s tears that were now flowing freely.

 

“I am sure there was nothing that you could do. You were working towards your dreams and she understood it. I am sure that she was very happy when you finally made your debut. She was very proud of you. She would always speak highly of her handsome grandson who was working in the entertainment industry. She loved watching you on the television and hearing your songs.”

 

“How do you know that?” siwon sniffled, which was not very in touch with his cool persona.

 

“I met her once before she passed away.” Kyuhyun looked at siwon and when he did not get any response he continued.

 

“It was before we had started dating. I once visited your grandmother, after I heard you lament of your inability to spend time with her. She spoke fondly about you. The things that she shared with me that day, spoke volumes of the love she had for you. She never once complained about not seeing you frequently.”

 

Kyuhyun leaned closer to his lover, “I will let you on a secret. It was after meeting her that I fell in love with you. I knew you were a great guy, but the way she described you, I knew that you were kind and affectionate from the beginning and your behavior was in no way a by-product of showbiz.”

 

“So, does that mean that if you hadn’t met my grandma, you would not have fallen in love with me?”

 

“Well…you were very attractive. Maybe I would have fallen for your charms sooner or later,” kyuhyun laughed seeing the pout siwon was making, before continuing, “ but I fell in love with you only because I was able to know the real siwon, not the one who was just a fellow Super Junior member.”

 

Siwon pulled kyuhyun into a light kiss. “But…I still did not get how you managed to bring all this here?”

 

“Elementary babe.”

 

When siwon looked as confused as ever, kyuhyun decided that he had to be more elaborate.

 

“After the SJM album was finished, I took a trip to Osaka. Since, you had a very tiring year, I wanted to surprise you with some photos of your grand mom’s hometown. It was then I came across your grand mom’s ancestral house. I thought of buying it for you as a present, but it seemed the son of the previous owner was not very knee on selling. He was actually thinking of building a house for his family and was going to tear down the whole estate. I made a deal with him that allowed me to bring back the whole estate back to Seoul and he got to keep the land.”

 

“So...you moved a whole estate between countries, for me? Why?”

 

Siwon looked at him with eyes full of love and sincerity, that kyu couldn’t resist placing a soft kiss on his boyfriend’s lips.

 

“It’s because I love you silly. I have always loved you, and will continue to do so till my last breathe. There is nothing I would not do to see that sweet smile adorn your face.”

 

Siwon smiled knowing that this was all kyu would ever require off him.

 

“People make very lofty promises in love, like I would move mountains for you, but rarely do they follow through. You, my love,” siwon playfully flicked kyuhyun’s nose before continuing, “have made good on your promises. Moving a whole estate for me.”

 

Kyuhyun laid his head to rest on siwon’s chest feeling himself rise and fall with every breath his lover took. He felt at ease with the natural rhythm of siwon’s breathing. He was truly calm and content with life and felt if he could, he could spend his whole life like this, in a loving embrace of siwon.

 

Suddenly the rhythm was disturbed and kyu felt his lover taking deep and erratic breaths and heard what felt like muffled cries.

 

“Babe what’s wrong? Why are you crying? Are you hurt somewhere? Should we take you to the doctor?”

 

Siwon held kyuhyun’s wrist together when the other franticly started grazing every part of his body to ascertain that he was okay physically.

 

“It’s okay. Am not hurt.”

 

“Then why are you crying?” kyu could not make himself calm down seeing siwon’s eyes still glazed.

 

“I am very sorry love.” Siwon kissed kyuhyun’s both palms one after another.

 

“Sorry? Why?”

 

“For my earlier behavior. I was very rude to you and said very mean things. I want you to know that I did not mean them. Forgive me?”

 

“Babe, the question of forgiveness does not arise, because I was not mad at all. I know the kind of stress you are under, trying to juggle you acting jobs and being with Super Junior. I am happy that you feel at ease to express yourself freely with me and do not sense the need to put up with a genial façade.”

 

Siwon broke into a tear faced smile and pulled in kyuhyun for a peck on his forehead. Hugging the maknae tight to his chest he spoke, “I know that I am not an easy person to put up with and when I blow my mind off, I can be unbearable. Thank you for staying beside me for all this years.”

 

“Loving you is tough but I have never liked anything that comes easy to me.” Kyu smirked.

 

Placing another kiss in kyuhyun this time on his nose, siwon once again spoke, “Someone upstairs must love me a lot to let me have someone as wonderful as you in my life. I will forever love and cherish you. I will be more vocal and active in showing my love for you in the future and not be so closed off.”

 

“I know you do. I am not looking for any assurances from you wonnie. I have an all access pass to your heart and mind. Even though you might find it hard to understand your innermost feelings, I am more in tune with them. I know what you feel even before you can acknowledge them.”

 

The tranquility of the atmosphere was only heightened by trickling sounds of the koi fountain and the blossom petals infusing a sweetness into the air. Both lovers stayed still basking in each other’s warmth.

 

“Damn, it’s manager hyung.” Siwon’s phone went off bringing both him and kyu back to reality.

 

“We will have to move kyu or else I might not reach Seoul on time to catch my plane”

 

Kyu got up reluctantly still not satisfied with the time spend with his lover. He had one mind of taking siwon inside the house and tie him up, just to prevent his leaving. But unfortunately, kyu was now a responsible adult and he knew that he could not act on his desires.

 

But siwon’s filming schedules ended in three weeks and he would have the actor to himself for a whole week before he started on his new schedule. Maybe then he could do what his heart desired without any interruptions.

 

“Oh, by the way babe, Happy Anniversary”

“Happy Anniversary to you too, my love.”