The Misunderstanding

Secret Garden

Kyuhyun was shifting through the clothes in his closet deciding on what to wear for his date later. The clothes that he had prepared had mysteriously disappeared from his room and he knew exactly who the culprit was. A look scanning his messed up room was evidence enough that ‘hurricane donghae’ had passed through it and decided to ‘borrow’ his clothes. He was more than willing to concoct ideas to torture the older but alas, he had other plans and the said person was no longer at the dorm to warrant an immediate reprisal.

 

In midst of search for the second perfect outfit his phone rang,

 

“Kyuhyun help!!!!!!”

 

The scream from the other side made kyuhyun wince a little.

 

“What has happened now, min?”

 

He sighed at the greeting, but what could he expect from his best friend, he had a flair for the dramatics.

 

“It is an emergency kyu, I need you right away.”

 

Selecting a navy blue deep V neck dress shirt and black trouser pants, kyu began changing, with the phone held up precariously by shoulder sticking to the right ear.

 

“What is the emergency, min? I am in a bit of a hurry, if you don’t mind.”

 

“It is a matter of life and death kyu, I need you. Please help me” changmin pleaded from the other line.

 

Kyu sat down and was doing his hair in soft curls and putting a light layer of make-up, when the pleading from his best friend finally made his way to his heart or maybe he just wanted to shut the whinny voice that changmin had resorted to using.

 

Alright!!! Alright, I am on my way. Stop whining.” Gathering his phone and other knickknacks he slammed his door shut and walked towards the door.

“Kyu, you are leaving already? I though you are not meeting siwon until later,” eunhyuk who was sitting on the couch watching television questioned the maknae who was now near the door busy wearing a set of sneakers.

 

“Ne hyung. Actually I am meeting changmin and from there I will proceed to meet siwon. I may be late tonight so, do not wait up for me.”

 

“Alright, but text me when you meet up with siwon,“ eunhyuk said watching the youngest beam up with the mere prospect of meeting up with his boyfriend.

 

It had been six years since they have been together. And for kyuhyun it has been the happiest six years of his life. It would be a lie to say that all the six years have been a fairytale; there have been trying times that have casted doubt on their relationship, but they have overcome such tribulations and have made their love stronger.

 

It had been over eight months since the love birds have been able to spend time together. Siwon was busy with his movie and then moved on to his drama shooting and back to another movie. The only time they met was during the SJM and SJ album preparations. It might not have been much but it was enough and they could not complain seeing that both had a rising career to take care off.

 

Kyuhyun was met with a frazzled changmin who promptly pulled him inside when he opened the door.

 

He stopped changmin who was busy dragging him into his bedroom muttering about all being lost and other apocalyptic phrases, “Calm down min! Take a deep breath and tell me what happened.”

 

After he was forced to take a seat, changmin spoke up, “It’s all over kyu. It is the end, my baby…,” he broke into tears before completing the sentence.

Taking the younger in his embrace kyu his hair, “It’s alright min, I am here tell me what happened.”

 

“She died kyu,” sniffling he continued, “She was alive one moment and then the next Pfzzzzt~ gone,” he gestured.

 

“I don’t think I can live without her. Life holds no meaning for me kyu. I feel like dying,” and the water works began one again.

 

If this conversation was ever picked up by a cassie, they would surely have an heart attack. Even a normal person could have felt the intensity of emotions that changmin was projecting. But no one knew changmin like kyu, so he jumped straight to the core of the problem.

 

“Okay now min, get up and tell me what happened to your laptop as I do not have enough time to provide condolences you.” Kyu had enough of the younger’s whinnying. The moment ‘baby’ was mentioned, he had understood the reference.

 

There was only two things that could evoke such deep feelings from changmin, they were food and his electronics. Like kyuhyun, these two things were held in high regard and any loss was devastating. It might almost seem that loving food and electronics was a criteria, if one had to join the kyu-line. Yes, all his friends were weird if viewed from outside, but in reality they were just damn good looking geeks. But if forced to answer, kyu would gladly mention that it was only changmin who was a drama queen and that no one should color the whole kyu-line using changmin as a template.

 

Changmin bought his ‘baby’ to kyuhyun and he soon got to work. After fiddling with the laptop futilely, he spoke up, “what did you do? There are viruses in this laptop, some that were around in the nineties. I have told you a thousand times to keep your laptop protected using firewalls and anti-virus systems. I even updated them for you a week back. So why would you disable them?”

 

Changmin kept quiet, disliking that instead of mourning with him for the loss of his ‘baby’ or even making her better, kyuhyun was lecturing him. He already had yunho for the lectures, he did not need a substitute when the older was not present.

 

“I had to open a link and the firewall would not allow me to access it. So I disabled it and tried accessing the link again, but then the ‘blue screen of death’ appeared and she died.”

 

Knowing the cause of the problem did help expedite the revival of ‘baby’. She was soon up and running. Evident by the Star Craft game that changmin had logged in almost instantly, to check if his high scores were safe.

 

“What was the link about?” kyuhyun was just a little curious on what motivated changmin to disable his firewall and jeopardize the health of his ‘baby’.

 

Changmin looked up from the screen at kyuhyun, who was now looking intently at him. Ducking his stares, he mumbled something inaudible.

 

‘Whose pictures??”

 

“Nu…PICTURES of Anna Kornikova.”

 

“I cannot believe it. When did you become such a big fan of her and tennis in general?”

“I have always been a big fans of sports. Thank you very much.” A curtness had entered changmin’s tone after kyu dismissed his passion with an ‘oh right’.

 

Smiling at the way changmin was getting all flustered, kyuhyun very slyly added, “If you were so interested in that kind of sports, I am sure that eunhyuk hyung will have no problem in lending you his treasured ‘baseball’ video collection.”

 

 “That-that is not what I was searching for.” Changmin huffed and continued striking away virtual monsters. While kyuhyun sat beside him looking at the progress the younger was making in the virtual battle field.

 

“Aish! You should not attack the trolls with pick axe, use the enchanted sword you received from the forest fey.” Unable to see the atrocious way changmin was playing, kyuhyun found himself, sub-consciously back seat driving the whole game.

 

After few instances of yells and reprimand from kyu, changmin paused the game.

 

“What??? Why are you staring at me?

 

Changmin refused to answer but gestured to the position kyu was in. In a bid to get better visual on the laptop screen, he had all but climbed into changmin’s lap.

 

“Why don’t you join me? Then I will show you who the better player is.” He gestured to another laptop lying on the bed, “you can use ‘baby2’, if you want.”

 

Kyuhyun looked wishfully at another laptop and then shock his head.

 

“Na, I have to meet siwon. I cannot spend the time playing with you. I will whoop your , some another day.” And he started leaving the room.

 

“Are you making excuses, because you fear that it will be me who will whoop your ?”

 

Kyu stopped in his tracks and turned around to see changmin smirking at him.

 

“Is it a challenge, Shim?”

 

“What if I say it is?”

 

“Then it is on.” Kyuhyun pulled up his sleeves and sat down with the laptop preparing to destroy the fake ego that changmin had for his gaming skills.

 

He was engrossed in the game when he heard his phone ring.

 

“Wonnie…? Yes, I will be there. W hotel right?”

 

“But, you said that we are meeting at 3. It is not even half past 1 yet. “

 

“Yeah I know. But does that mean that your photo-shoot is wrapping up soon.”

 

“Yeah, I will be there by 2. See you there soon. I know you have early morning flight tomorrow. I won’t be late. Bye.”

 

After kyu had hanged up, changmin who was listening to the phone call spoke up. “You have to leave now?”

 

“Yes, I am leaving. Will see you tomorrow.”

 

“I thought siwon hyung was in china shooting for his movie?”

 

“Yes, he was but since he had to come back for a photo-shoot I asked the manager-hyung to let him stay for a day. Today is our anniversary, you see.” Kyu blushed a little. Even after his and siwon’s relationship was made known to their friends and members, kyu felt bashful speaking aloud about this matters.

 

“Oooohhhhh!!! So what are your plans? Shutting yourself in a lavish suite and letting siwon hyung ravage you…?” changmin was enjoying the discomfort his friend was undergoing.

 

“Nothing of that sort, and what siwon and I do for our anniversary is not any of your business.”


“Oh come on, I am best friend, you can share the juicy details with me.” Changmin nudged kyuhyun for some information. “If that was not the plan then why are you meeting him at W hotel?”

 

“Siwon is having the photo-shoot there, so I am to meet him there and you heard it too, right? He has to go back tomorrow morning.”

 

Kyu glanced at his watch. “Shoot! I am running late. Changmin I am leaving.”

 

Kyuhyun left changmin behind and started gathering his phone and other knickknacks before heading for the door.

 

“Kyu! wait I will see you out.” Changmin too ran behind his friend and soon they were out on the street trying to flag a cab.

 

“Sheesh, why won’t the cab drivers stop? It’s Seoul not freaking NYC. How hard should it be to flag a cab?” Kyuhyun was frustrated after his failure to get a cab. He was soon running out of time, it was almost 2.

 

“Why did you not bring your car? It would have been more convenient than waiting on the sidewalk for a cab.”

 

“Donghae took it for a spin and bought it back with a dent, it is in repairs.” Kyu grumbled, blaming fishy for the problem he was in.

 

“Min-ah, can I borrow your car? If I don’t leave now then I will definitely be late.”

 

“Sorry, kyu. Yunho hyung borrowed my car after his broke down yesterday. I can try calling someone if you want?” changmin started dialing some numbers when he was stopped by kyuhyun.

 

“No need. Here comes an empty cab.” Kyuhyun then jumped in front of the vehicle forcing it to a stop.

 

“KYU!!!!” changmin screamed. “Are you crazy?”

 

“Relax min. It’s okay.” Kyu jumped into the cab and dropped few bills to shut up the screaming cab driver.

 

“To W hotel.” Seeing the cash bills, the driver shut up and ignited his engine to drop his passenger on the said destination.

 

“Bye min, See you later.” Kyu sent his friend off and sat back heaving a sigh of relief.

 

He had finally managed to catch a cab but looking at the time he knew he would be late. Still he was anticipating meeting his boyfriend.

 

Siwon was very particular of punctuality. He always made it on time as he hated to make others wait for him. What he abhorred more than anything was to wait for someone. And the thought of an angry and miffed siwon kept on playing in his head as, kyuhyun was having a hard time in trying to reach the hotel on time.

 

He had spent the last hour covering a stretch of 200 meters in the car and was still more than half way away from his destination and was now 40 minutes late.

 

A flurry of calls from siwon was not helping the racing heart of kyuhyun, who was helpless in the situation he found himself in. He sighed when his phone rang for the umpteen time.

 

“Yes siwon, I am still trapped in the traffic…I know that I am late…but what can I do, I can’t possibly walk there…the lane towards the city square is blocked, I can’t get there using any alternate route…I am near the Audi showroom….What you are coming to get me? Alright I will wait.”

 

Kyuhyun knew from the tone of siwon’s voice that his lover was upset. He was too. They had barely few hours together and those precious moments where being squandered in waiting for the traffic to clear up.

 

He had been sad when he had heard that siwon was not going to be in the country for their anniversary. They had already spent each other’s birthday apart this year due to prior commitment and he feared that if they missed to celebrate their anniversary then they might grow apart.

 

The past months had been very hectic for the duo. With kyuhyun putting more time in juggling his variety shows and preparing and promoting the new KRY album and siwon dividing time in Korea and china for his acting commitments, they had barely time to even great each other. Even when SJM was preparing for their come back, siwon had been unfortunately busy shooting for his drama and was unable to put in any time for promoting it and had even completed his recording alone. He had seen siwon for two days when they filmed their MV and that was it. The same went with the SJ album.

 

The time they had spent together in the past eight months could be counted on fingers. Though they spoke to each other every other day when they could find time, the time apart had caused lack of romance and breakdown of communication causing them to quarrel often. Kyuhyun was afraid that they were drifting apart.

 

So, when siwon called in saying that he would in Seoul for a photo-shoot on their anniversary, kyuhyun had been joyous and managed to get a day off to prepare for a stunning anniversary gift for his lover and ignite romance in their relationship once again.

 

A loud honk forced kyuhyun to look at his side and he saw siwon on opposite lane with his car, motioning him impatiently to get in. Kyuhyun did not waste much time to hop from the cab and into siwon’s car. After being seated in the car, he glanced at his watch, it was ten past four.

 

There was no greetings, not even a glance was spared into his direction. Siwon steadfastly drove away from the city and kyuhyun was hesitant to apologize, afraid of broaching the subject of being late after he saw the cold eyes of siwon and his resulting silence since he let him in.

 

Siwon pulled over when they were past the city limits. After staring at the road for some time he shifted his gaze towards kyuhyun, and suddenly got out from the car.

 

“I am so sorry wonnie. I-…” siwon held up a hand and stopped kyuhyun, who too had followed his lover out of the car, from speaking further.

 

 “I don’t know where to proceed from here. You had said that you would bring your car and pick me up. But since I drove here in manager’s car, it would be best if you drive from here.” And without saying anything further, he got in the passenger side, with kyuhyun scrambling to get into the driver’s seat.

 

Kyuhyun stole glances of siwon when he was driving. His assumption of his lover being mad was now totally confirmed. Ever since, he had seen him, siwon had not spoken to him and now that he was driving, he never once asked the destination and showed no inclination to hold any sort of conversation with him. Instead, siwon was busy checking his SNS.

 

‘Wonnie, I am very sorry for being late and making you pick me up. I did not know that my car would be in the shop and then I went to changmin’s and-…”

 

“I think it would be best, if you focused on the road, taking us to the destination as fast as possible, instead of wasting time in useless conversations.” Siwon once again interrupted kyuhyun’s attempt at apologizing.

 

‘Damn it! Kyu why are doing this?!” after the curt words siwon had hurled at him, kyuhyun could not stop the tears from flowing.

 

He was overwhelmed at the thought of meeting his lover and spend time after such a long time. But it would seem that his plans of re-igniting romance were derailing fast. In addition to the cold shoulder he had received from siwon, the harsh words he had said really hurt him.

 

“I am- am very so-sorry wonnie. I di-did not know th-that I would be so late.”

 

“Why do you keep on repeating things like a broken record? I heard it the first time you told me. You know how difficult it was for me to take time off from my drama shooting. I finished the photo-shoot soon, as you threw a tantrum, insisting on meeting me. But what do I get after flying down to Seoul to meet my lover? I am forced to wait for you for two hours twiddling my thumbs at the hotel lobby.”

 

“You know how much I hate waiting, I had even called you up to say that I might finish up before time. Only because we could spend as much time together as possible. But it would seem that meeting up with changmin took precedence than meeting me.”

 

“That is not the case wonnie. Changminnie asked me for help and since I had spare time before picking you up I decided to pay him a visit. I had not wanted to be distraction to you while you were working and moreover, I wanted to borrow his car. Since yunho hyung took his car, I caught a cab and was trapped in the traffic. You know that I would not willfully make you wait, right?”

 

“I don’t know anything right now, kyuhyun. You are aware of how much pressure I am under now. I having been doing over time to finish this movie shooting so that I can soon join the rest of the cast for my next movie. Do you know that I will have to put in extra hours to complete the scenes that I missed? I am sacrificing my one day off that I was supposed to get after working for three weeks non-stop.”


“And what do I get after coming down here. You are late and spend a good part of an hour stuck in traffic. I am sure the subway was working fine. Even if you had started walking, you could have managed to get a cab farther away. But you decided to sit and wait in the car, even after I told you that I could come and pick you up.”

 

“Here I was stupidly thinking that my lover was anxiously waiting for me. But you were running around gallivanting and making me lose precious time worrying if we will have enough time to meet each other. If you hadn’t relented and asked me to pick you up, I would have gone to the company and finish of some errands that I had been putting off. I even had a meeting planned up for another acting job, which I rescheduled, all for you.”

 

“Well, that was very mature off you. Go on, have your juvenile tantrum.” Kyuhyun had parked the car and had started walking after getting off.

 

Siwon ran behind kyuhyun, “will you stop being petulant and get back into the car.” Siwon pulled kyuhyun’s hand and tried to bring him back to the car. But Kyuhyun shrugged off his grip and continued walking.

 

‘Well you can go ahead and get lost in the woods. If you do not get back this instant, I will be driving back to Seoul without you.” Seeing that kyuhyun walked away without paying any attention to what siwon said, in a fit of anger he too decided to leave the maknae stranded.

 

He sat in the car connecting the members, thinking of having someone pick kyuhyun up. Being stranded in the woods would make the maknae understand the true value of time, he reasoned. Due to lack of strong signals in the area, siwon decided to call someone as soon as the signal strengthened.

 

He was about to turn the key in the ignition and start the car, when he heard kyuhyun scream out his name.

 

“Wonnie!!!”

 

This was supposed to be b’day fic for siwon. Maybe it’s too soon for next year…?

It is just that my laziness got the best of it and even though I managed to come around for this fic, I did not upload it for a month after finishing it.

I hope it does little justice to those who had subscribed. Since it was getting a little longer I have split it into two parts. The next will be up in a day or two.

 

Subscribe, comment and upvote

 

The copyright of all pics included in everyone of my fics rests with their original arists. I am only borrowing them.