Rainbow

Tales of Lovers [Of Eros And Orpheus]

Unbeta-ed, random and scattered. :)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rainbow

 

Red

Personally, Yixing doesn’t really like red colour that much to begin with. Red, corresponding with fire, symbolizes good fortune and joy. Red is found everywhere during Chinese New Year and other holidays and family gatherings. Hence, that’s the reason why he perhaps grew tired of the colour.

But when he saw a tiny, petite being for the first time (not that he’s a giant himself like neither Yifan nor Chanyeol are), the boy appeared so small in a fluffy red jacket with a hoodie, he even looked like he was being drowned in a pool of lava or ocean of red blanket and quilt; he instinctively wanted to wrap his arms around that tiny waist. A red beanie worn under the hoodie, and Yixing couldn’t help but to think that head as a ripe strawberry he loved so much. When the petite boy made an eye contact with him for the first time, he saw how the corner of the boy’s lips curled upward beautifully, his eyes crinkled perfectly and God--- up to this moment, he still doesn’t know how to explain the magnificent glowing aura surrounded the petite boy in the red jacket; which he never ever witnessed before for all the years he’s been living in this world.

He didn’t catch the boy’s name at first; but he named him as the petite red riding hood.

His petite red riding hood.

And he determined to fight against any big bad wolves that would approach his petite red riding hood.

 

Orange

“Maknae have you seen my orange beanie?”

He watches still from afar as the youngest raises his shoulder before slumping them down again.

“Jongin-ah, have you?”

He catches how that feline lips turn slightly into a pout as Jongin shakes his head.

“Kyungsoo, do you happen to know where did I put my orange beanie?”

“Didn’t you wear them this week?”

“Yeah and I can’t find it now.”

“Try searching it in the dirty laundry pile.”

He bites the inside of his cheek when the boy nods his head and turns his feet to the kitchen. He feels bad, but he must stay still. The boy comes back with a worried look on his face; his straight eyebrows meet in the middle as he waddles cutely to the living room.

“It’s not there!”

The boy’s voice is a little higher than usual, but that will not change his preference. Yixing is not Yifan. Yifan is a er for Jongdae’s whines, but he’s not. His immune system is higher.

“What are you looking for Jongdae-yah?”

“Luhan hyung, I can’t find my orange beanie.”

“Joonmyeon’s present for you from Japan?”

“Yes. I wore it three days ago and I swear I put it back safely!”

Jongdae scratches the back of his neck. Lines forming on his forehead make Yixing want to smooth them out with his fingers.

“Yixing!”

Damn Luhan. What does he want? He looks up from the book he’s been pretending to read, giving the boys his most bored face.

“Have you seen Jongdae’s orange beanie, the one Joonmyeon gave it to him before?”

“No!”

“Are you telling the truth?”

Curse Luhan. He hates him always, but this time it’s just insufferable. He hates the knowing look Luhan’s giving him. He hates the small smirk forming on the latter’s lips. He hates how Luhan makes Jongdae starts to give him this questioning look after his remark.

“What do you mean by that?”

Luhan shakes his head a few times before plopping himself beside Yixing on the couch.

“Sorry Jongdae, I’ll help you find your orange beanie later okay? Let me take a nap first!”

Yixing’s heart aches when a bright beam appears on the boy’s face. Jongdae shouts a ‘thank you’ before running towards his bedroom in rush.

“You better give Jongdae his orange beanie back Yixing, before I tell him myself that you’ve been hiding it in your drawer.”

“What are you talking about, girl?”

“Stop  calling me that or I tell them all how you sneaked out into Jongdae’s room and took his beloved orange beanie, a gift from his most beloved hyung and hid them away because youre jealous that he’s been wearing a gift from his most beloved hyung more than the one you gave him.”

Yixing scoffs, because Luhan is such a girl. But he’s not going to repeat it on his face for now like he usually did before. And Joonmyeon is not Jongdae’s most beloved hyung anyway. He blames that orange beanie.

 

 Yellow

It’s yellow. For the love of his grandparents, it’s ing yellow! He looks like a mango and that’s not even something he whole-heartedly agreed with. When their stylist said that he’s going for a new look for the comeback, it didn’t cross his mind that they would give him this mango coloured hair to deal with.

When he was given knowledge about he’s going blond, he think of blond, not a random bright yellow mango coloured hair.

“I’m anticipating half, worrying half on whether or not I will be able to hear it matches me well.”

He lied when he answered that. He does not anticipate it at all. Kyungsoo said it suits him (and he’s not brave enough to look into his eyes to check whether he’s telling him the truth or not), but he has this fear that haunts him everywhere, making him avoiding all the mirrors he passes by.

But trust Baekhyun to make it worst.

“It’s the colour of a yolk!”

Yixing laughs. Out loud. Just when he thought a mango coloured is unbelievable enough, Baekhyun said his hair colour is a resemblance of a yolk. He is so going to shave his head and leave this entertainment scene serving his life as a monk.

“So what if it’s a colour of a yolk or a mango? It still looks nice on him!”

Yixing opens his eyes to see Jongdae shoving a cushion onto Baekhyun’s face, before he turns to face Yixing and cups his face with those tiny hands of his.

“If only I would look good on anything, I’m going to try on this colour on me, hyung.”

Yixing smiles, leaning on Jongdae’s hands as they warm him to the core with just a simple touch like that.

“You’re so nice, Jongdae-yah.”

He swats Yixing’s hand away when he tries to ruffle his hair. Jongdae’s hair always feels so soft and fluffy. Yixing envies him sometimes.

“Plus, this bright yellow hair makes it easier for me to spot your head in the dark. That way I won’t always accidentally knock your head with my knees every time you think that it’s okay to rest your head on my…”

In a flash, Yixing cups Jongdae mouth with his palm, ignoring the mischievous glint on the latter’s eyes. Jongdae’s voice is loud and the way Baekhyun rolls his eyes tells him that he heard those sentences.

“Next time go for a glow-in –the-dark coloured hair hyung, so it helps Jongdae’s blindness during your .”

And Baekhyun leaves with a snort. 

 

Green

Yixing partly doesn’t understand why the other members said Tao’s face is green. They say it too often that Yixing sometimes quietly looks at the boy’s face to analyse some greenly essence on his face that he missed to observe before.

He finds nothing to his dismay. Tao looks anything but green.

Only when he hears Tao was making fun of how Jongdae looks like a camel when he eats, that Yixing realizes that Tao’s skin is green.

Jongdae is right. Tao looks like a Namek, a humanoid with slug-like characteristics, including green skin and antennae. And every time Tao make fun of Jongdae’s improving dancing skills, Tao appears even greener in Yixing’s eyes. He looks so green; he thinks people can even extract a forever existing green spirulina from Zitao. 

 

Blue

He’s feeling blue. He's feeling low, upset, unhappy, or depressed; any words that can describe his foul mood that day. It’s getting on his nerves at some part, because he doesn’t even know the source of his real unnerving condition at that moment.

He tries to dance away his mind, but he ends up tangling his feet together, resulted in him crashing his on the dance floor. He tries to casually make up a melody on his head, but he ends up singing to Sehun’s self-composed song of chocolate bubble tea. He tries to remember a few of Korean proverbs, but he ends up hearing Luhan’s mocking laugh on the back of his head.

He’s drowning, but he wants no one to help him. Not until then, when he hears soft chuckles nearing him, that he realizes that he actually needs a particular human being with him in a suffocating time like this.

“What are you doing?”

The question flows from his mouth, even though he willingly gives out his hand to be dragged away by the smaller man in front of him.

“Just trust me!”

Jongdae winks, before the end of his eyes crinkle beautifully, carrying his high cheekbones in a way that highlights all his gorgeous features.

Yixing follows silently; his hand stays in Jongdae’s grasp, urging him to move faster as they make their way through a number of flight of staircases that lead them to nowhere Yixing’s familiar with.

“Are we even allowed to be here?”

“I’m not sure about that.”

“You do realize we work here means that we have to follow the rules and regulations in this building right?”

“Don’t worry hyung. We’re not going to be kicked out from our group just because we’re trespassing.”

Yixing wants to say something, but the word cuts off when Jongdae opens a door to reveal a peaceful, vast scenery in front of him.

He was a trainee for years, but he never knew the existence of such place in the building. Blue sky spreads like an ocean above them, and he feels at ease.

He grins at the end of the day. The horrid feeling he’s been experiencing is gone, all thanks to the wide blue sky.

With a little, extra help from a comfortable pillow under his head that is Jongdae’s lap, and a soothing pair of Jongdae’s hands that massaging his scalp while lazily his temple, and a comforting voice also owned by Jongdae that serenading him into such tranquillity.

He thanks heaven for helping him to calm his mind by only looking at the blue sky. Jongdae is totally, just an additional factor.

 

Will anyone ever buy such lie though?

 

Indigo

“Kai-yah, do you know what an indigo is?”

“A colour”

“What colour is it?”

“I think it’s easier for you to Google it hyung.”

 

“Baekhyun, what’s an…” Yixing trails a little longer, glancing at the book on his hands to make up the word in his mouth comes out smoothly, “…Indigo?”

“A colour.”

“I know it’s a colour, but what colour is it?”

“Err… something closer to blue?”

Right. Baekhyun’s in hurry. He’s not the type to answer Yixing’s question in such simplicity. Baekhyun always comes out with an essay type answers whenever Yixing asks him something, unless if he’s not in a good mood after his banter with Chanyeol, or when he’s in a hurry. It’s fine, he can ask someone else.

 

“Sehunnie, tell me something about indigo?”

“It’s not even close as tasty as chocolate is.”

“You eat indigo?”

“No, I love chocolate. Why do you ask hyung?”

Yixing shakes his head. Not from the maknae. He’s going to end up forgetting his main intention if he keeps on chattering with him.

 

“Tao-yah, do you know what an indigo is?

“What is that?”

“A colour’s name.”

“What colour is that?”

“Forget it.”

“Ge, tell me!”

 

“Luhan, what’s an indigo?”

“Indigo?”

Yixing nods. “What colour is indigo?”

“What makes you so concern?”

“Why are you not answering this?”

“What makes you think I’m going to answer that?”

“You only have to say a simple ‘I don’t know’ and I would leave immediately.”

“I don’t know. Now leave.”

“You’re an !”

“Why are you still here? I said I don’t know.”

“Are you on your period?”

“I’m a man!”

“So you’re experiencing your pre-menstrual rage at the moment?”

“Zhang Yixing!”

“Yah! Stop it both of you.” Minseok is already standing in between the couch and a coffee table, blocking any possibility for Luhan to jump forward, tackling Yixing to the floor. “You guys have been shouting in Chinese, I can’t get a single grip what’s the fuse all about.”

“I was asking about an indigo colour and your boyfriend here being so difficult!”

“I said I don’t know! Minseok, go tell him about his indigo he loves so much!”

“I think it’s somewhere in between the colour of blue and purple.” Minseok gives him a concerned look. “Why?”

Yixing replies with a small smile.

 

“Hey Joonmyeon, can you explain to me about the colour of indigo?”

He watches as Joonmyeon brings out his phone.

“Indigo is a colour that is traditionally regarded as a colour on the visible spectrum, as well as one of the seven colours of the rainbow: the colour between blue and violet. Although traditionally considered one of seven major spectral colours, its actual position in the electromagnetic spectrum is controversial…”

Joonmyeon stops, realizing that confusing stare from Yixing before he lifts up his phone closer to Yixing’s face.

“Here’s the indigo.”

 

“Chanyeolli…”

Chanyeol looks up, uncrossing his leg as he shifts the position of his guitar. “Hyung?”

“What’s an indigo?”

A small sigh escapes Chanyeol’s lips while he rests his head on the headboard of his bed.

“Blue. Indigo. To me, it’s the colour of dreams and freedom, with a small savour of sadness, and the highest point of depression.”

Yixing smiles at himself. Chanyeol has his eyes close, and it makes Yixing thinking somehow. Sometimes, he feels that his heart is connected with the boy in front of him. The way Chanyeol looks at something with an artistic point of view makes him love sitting with the younger boy like this.

“Hyung!”

Chanyeol straighten up his back abruptly, grabbing Yixing’s arms with his hands as a wide grin appears on his face.

“You’ve been missing him aren’t you?”

 

It’s been a long weeks for him, and he’s not used to it. Jongdae has a separate promotion from the members, and the management is for arranging his additional schedule in contrary from the usual routine of their group. Jongdae has to wake up earlier from the rest of them, and when Yixing forcefully shuffles to get up from his bed to catch a single glimpse of him, the main door’s already shut and Jongdae’s shadow is nowhere to be found.

And he’s never going to talk about how miserable he becomes every time he fails to see Jongdae’s reflection through the tall mirrors inside their practice room. He’s never going to get used to not hearing that high-pitched voice even from quite a distant. He misses him. He misses his everything.

 

For when he feels a fluffy thing tickling the tip of his nose, he fights his drowsiness and cracks his eyes open, his gaze aiming straight to a digital clock on his side table.

“It’s 4 and a half in the morning.”

Yixing’s breathe hitches; he recognizes that husky whispers everywhere.

“Jongdae?”

“I’m home.”

Yixing scoots closer, inhaling Jongdae’s fluffy hair he’s been missing so much. “What’s an indigo Jongdae-yah?”

The chuckles ring softly, almost inaudible if Yixing isn’t too deprived with that voice lately.

“Wasn’t Jongin asked you to google it?”

Yixing tangles his legs with Jongdae’s, bringing the comforter to rest above them.  “Tell me what colour an indigo is?”

 “I thought Baekhyun and Minseok hyung had answered that for you.”

Jongdae smiles sleepily when he feels Yixing’s lips on his brow. “I can't remember.”

“Joonmyeon hyung had shown you the colour.”

“Jongdae, I want to know what colour an indigo is, from you.”

Jongdae leans forward, allowing their breaths to mingle together before crashing their lips in a long, slow, melting, languid kisses that they are both desperately starving for.

“When you see the rainbow as we kisses, a colour that reminds you of the ocean before it’s about to reach high tide after a hurricane, that’s indigo.  When you see the fireworks sparks as our lips touch, the most dominant colour is the indigo. The most intriguing colour of sunset or sunrise that you see as we are closing our eyes, that’s indigo.”

Yixing closes his eyes while smiling, as he brings their bodies much closer to each other.

“I love your version of indigo much better than the rest.”

 

Violet

Their stylist noona is obsessed and it scares the hell out of them to know how persistent she is, to let them acknowledge the differences between all the shades of purple. She makes sure to let them remember how to differ lavender, amethyst, heliotrope, and wisteria, violet (or whatever the name comes out from ) correctly and not to just simply labelling them under the name of a ‘purple’.

They’re a grown up men for god sake, and there are so many wondrous other things to be amused at other than the different shades of purple!

 

“They’re the same colour noona, I’m telling you!”

“No, they’re not. Even the spellings are different can’t you tell?!”

“Basically they’re a purple!”

Only Sehun is brave enough to tell her that, and by the end of it, Sehun got his hair styled in a ridiculous-electrocuted-messy style for their joint concert that day.

So no one else dare to take the risk.

 

But when Yixing starts to yell in his room, panic as he can’t find his violet, orchid and mulberry boxers, they give each other’s a questioning look.

“Since when did you give names to your boxers?”

“No Jongdae, it’s not a name. It’s their colour.”

Jongdae raises an eyebrow, exchanging looks with a stiffen Yifan beside him. “The purples you love to wear?”

“No. One of them is a bright bluish purple. Another one with a bright rich purple colour and the other is a representation of the colour of mulberry jam or pie…”

 

“Jongdae, which one suits me better?”

Yixing pulls Jongdae forward, showing him lines of briefs display in the case. A faint blush creeps on to Jongdae’s cheeks, but Yixing is too eager to notice that.

“Hyung, you had a closet of purple underwear already.”

“I’ve told you they are not entirely purple!”

“The tone is all the same!”

“Noona teaches me well enough how to differentiate the tones and the shades of the purple!”

“Hyung, they are actually one, just like us. They are all fall under the category of purple!”

Yixing’s eyes close. A dimple showing when he smiles, ready to blurt everything.

“There are violet, eggplant, plum, tyrian purple, fandango, mauve, thistle…”

“Violet!”

“Huh?”

“Take the violet one; I swear to God it suits you the best!”

Jongdae rolls his eyes when Yixing calls out for the worker. He’s not going to let their stylist noona brainwashes her purple maniac syndrome to Yixing any further.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

This is doesnt make sense at all, i know. But words say that love itself doesnt make sense eyy?

Thanks for reading this; what colour do you love the most?