You

Memento
Please log in to read the full chapter

A week. It's been a week and you have barely spoken. We have been in Seoul for six days now and I am trying, but you just don't speak. I know everything will be different, but I could at least try and make you smile? Or will this be too much for you?

"Please don't buy me anything more." Looking down, you muttered softly. I stared at you, surprised by your sudden choice to speak. The little box was still on the table where I had left it in the morning, unopened. As I watched your face lacking in any emotion staring right trough me, as if I didn't exist I slowly started to lose hope.

-

"Her condition." Taking off my tie, I passed by the bodyguard who was assigned to go everywhere with you. "Her check up went as usual. The doctor recommended a psychologist for her recovery." "Will it help her remember?" A pause. "We don't know, brother." I sighed. I had no other choice to try. "Arrange  a meeting with the person."

And just like that, a month passed. My need for you grew as she kept drifting away. You did not speak to me at all and it was ruining me. We were living in the same house yet, we were strangers. It was not about you loving me anymore, I just wanted to see you feel better, no matter the cost. I was willing to pay with everything I had, just so you could smile again.

"Do you even talk to her?" Your therapist requested to talk to me after the last time your bodyguard took her home. It was around eleven o'clock in the evening, and yet, he picked up his phone and told me that he was waiting for my phone call.  I sighed. "I tried, in the beginning. She pushed me away, constantly." While recalling our last cold argument, when you just left the room after I begged you to at least talk to me. To at least look at me in the eyes, without the resentment in them. Seriously, what happened?

"She is deprived." I think I already knew that, but was too afraid to admit it myself. "She is surrounded by bodyguards and yet, she isn't feeling safe. I know who you are, Mr. Kim, I know it is dangerous and you want to keep her safe, but because of your efforts, you have succeeded in sealing her inside a constant circle of people, who don't even talk to her. She is alone." His words struck me, but I couldn't agree more. You had no contact with the outside world and was even worse than before I found you. In order for me to feel better and not worry about you, I locked you inside a house you did not remember. Why was I so stupid?

"Eunji told me that you were her boyfriend and that her parents took her away from you, completely erasing you from her life. Have you tried to show her old pictures or go to your favorite places together? I would strongly advise you to create that bond you had before, or her motivation will only drop to zero in the end." Everyone knew that once a person goes to that level of despair, there was no way of remembering. I couldn't risk you feeling like that.

"What if she pushes me away?" I gulped as I pressed the phone closer to my ear, ignoring my hand going numb from the long pressure of holding it. "Well," the therapist paused for a moment, as if thinking of a suitable answer. The moment he finished his sentence, I understood how good was he and why people were praising him so much. "You should stand tall and take in her pushes." I smiled as he continued, "Don't step back and don't run away. Be her wall and friend in the mean time."

He was so right. I needed to fight for you just like I have always done. Eunji, I am sorry that I became a coward in the last month. I will do better from now on, I promise.

"Morning." I restrained myself from touching you, as I decided to act slow, so I would not frighten you. Upon seeing how you rubbed your eyes slowly I chuckled softly, admiring the cuteness of your morning face.  Looking up to me, you raised your brow slightly. You wondered what was I doing here with you, didn't you? "I told everyone to have a day off today." Watching you sit up and directing your gaze towards the window which view was directed to the garden, which was usually the bodyguards' spot, I sat on the bed not too far away from you. You looked back at me, without saying a single word. Your empty gaze was hurting me, but I decided to not let myself show you my insecurity about this.  "We are going out today, that is if you want to." Cracking a smile, my hand nervously gripped the bed sheet underneath it. "There was this park we used to go to when you wanted to hide from your classmates, who you always described as-"

"Envious." I nodded calmly as you spoke out, your eyes widening even more in confusion. Believe me, I was shocked as well as I had no idea that you would speak so fast. But that was a little something, a small detail that made me want to try even ha

Please log in to read the full chapter