Chapter 3

Mayday Showers

  A/N: I'm sorry for not updating in forever... Um I was very busy this summer so I didn't have time to write and now that school has started up again I'm not going to be any less busy, not to mention I now have a job and I have to apply for colleges too so I have a lot on my plate. o(╥﹏╥)o

Updates are going to continue to be sporadic since I can only write when I have time. Anyways thank you all for sticking with me, I hope I can update often enough to make you guys happy... Fighting!!!

 

 Luhan tugged at the hem of his jersey for the upteenth time, the shirt was several sizes too large, much like most uniforms it was sized to accommodate the more average sized people and not compliment someone as skinny and small as Luhan. Sehun thought it was the cutest thing he’d ever seen.

“If you keep pulling it, it’ll only get bigger.” the taller boy said teasingly, ruffling Luhan’s honey locks.

Luhan looked at the ground apologetically, “I’m sorry, I’ll stop...” He bit his lip and Sehun’s breath caught in his throat.

“It’s normal to be nervous before a game Lulu, especially since this is the first of the year.” Jogin rubbed his friend’s arms comfortingly while Sehun frowned at the contact. Jongin was rewarded with one of Luhan’s dazzling smiles that left Sehun’s heart pounding, even though it wasn’t directed at him. He felt a pang of jealousy.

“It’s really normal..?” Luhan was asking, looking slightly less worried. Both of the other boys rushed to assure him that it was completely normal and that, in fact, they were nervous too.

The locker room was full of nervous chatter, the entire day had been a whirlwind of excitement felt by all in the high school, though the mood impacted the soccer team most of all.

Droves of other students had put off other after-school activities, parents had come home from their jobs early and teachers were staying late, all to line the soccer field and offer their support for the team’s first game of the season.

“Is everyone ready!?” Jongin called to the general locker room and was met with a resounding cheer from the other members of the team, they were all so very very ready to play some real soccer. “Let’s get out on the field then!” Jogin called back and he led the way, as the team burst from the locker room in a wild mess of hoots and whistles. Sehun shot Luhan a grin as they raced out into the sunshine.

The other team was dressed in crimson and to Luhan they all appeared very intimidating, he felt sure that at least half the team were seniors, while they ran warm--ups and drills he watched the boys on the other side of the field and felt more and more uneasy, almost as though he was being watched himself.

Finally the game got underway and it became immediately obvious that although the other team was big and scary, they lacked in actual skill. Jogin scored twice consecutively in the first ten minutes, causing great excitement among the onlookers, the group of girls cheered extra loudly for him and he tossed them a wink as he ran by. Luhan looked on from his seat on the bench, he’d not been selected as a starter, merely, he was a sub for the center midfield position, but Jongin blew him a kiss after the second goal to which he blushed a lovely pink.

Sehun knew he had to step up his game so he immediately grabbed every opportunity to take control of the ball, however the other side now had their guard up and scoring was becoming increasingly difficult. Finally, right before halftime he got a lucky shot, angling right past the goalie’s hands and sending the ball flying gracefully into the corner of the goal. The crowd erupted with cheers as the whistle blew and the first half was over 3-0.

“You two are so amazing.” Luhan praised when the team gathered for halftime and Sehun and Jogin had claimed spaces on either side of their friend.

“Aw thanks cutie.” Jogin smiled while Sehun blushed and gave Luhan a playful shove, “you’re pretty good too, just wait, these guys aren’t a very good team.” Sehun felt the need to boost his fairy’s confidence a little.

All too soon halftime came to an end and Luhan was finally out on the field with his two best friends. However the other team had switched in new players as well including two hulking defenders who looked practically blood-thirsty.

Whenever anyone came close to the goal something would happen unexpectedly. The unsuspecting player would be tripped or elbowed or shoved to the ground and somehow the refs were missing how the two defenders were the ones dealing out the beatings.

Sehun got more and more worried, shooting a look in Jogin’s direction, these guys meant trouble.

Luhan was very focused, he’d been consumed by the effort of keeping the ball from passing the center line and by passing up to the offensive line, when suddenly he was surrounded by members of the other team and he saw no one to pass up to. Unwilling to pass backwards he dribbled the ball up the field alone and unknowingly, into the wrong territory. He didn’t see the other player until he was flat against the ground, pinned and winded under a huge weight. Pain shot through his back and as he opened his eyes the other boy was already moving off him.

“Whoops didn’t see you there princess.”

The whistle had been blown and both Sehun and Jongin were by his side in seconds.

“Are you alright? Tell us what happened?” Sehun asked worriedly, helping him into a sitting position while Jongin gritted his teeth and snarled, “it’s those stupid ing defenders, they keep doing this and making it look like an accident so the refs don’t call them on it, I swear I’m gonna go punch that guy in the face.” He looked about ready to actually do just that, but Luhan gently grabbed his arm.

“Please if you do that you might get suspended, I’m okay I promise, I’m sure it was really an accident.” Luhan demonstrated his point by pushing himself to his feet, ignoring the pain and giving Jogin and tight-faced smile. The crowd cheered when he stood as was customary when a downed player gets on his feet again.

“Like hell it was an accident, those guys are bent on getting someone killed the refs have to g-” Sehun smacked Jogin on the arm making him stop his angry rampage.

“Beating them up isn’t going to solving anything, it’s just going to get you in trouble, the best thing to do now is just to win the game fairly.” Luhan smiled gratefully at Sehun, whose words seemed to be reaching the other boy as Jongin just huffed angrily and muttered, “fine, let’s cream them then.”

When the game continued both Sehun and Jogin were on fire, not only did they score goal after goal but they made sure Luhan always had someone to pass up to, successfully keeping him away from the other team’s defence. The game ended with an incredible 8 to nothing score and the locker room was filled with sweaty boys who were almost drunk on happiness. Even Jongin had stopped thinking of ways to creatively kill the other team’s defence and was caught up in the celebratory mood. He scooped Luhan off the ground and spun him around shouting “we won, we won!” over and over before rushing off to congratulate other players who’d done well during the match.

Sehun draped his arm over Luhan’s shoulder, a scowl on his face, Luhan didn’t seem to notice.

“You played so well Sehun, you’re incredible!” Luhan gushed and Sehun couldn’t keep frowning then.

“Do-do you really think so?” He asked, mostly because he just wanted Luhan to say it again.

“Of course! You and Jongin are easily the best players on the team!” Luhan spoke excitedly “I’m so glad you guys are my- my-” he stammered, looking away as he finished his sentence, “friends...”

Sehun felt light headed as he watched the adorable creature in front of him, Luhan was covered with a sheen of sweat and his cheeks were pink from the exercise creating some obscene imagery in his mind. He mentally slapped himself for getting carried away.

“Well, we could never have done it without your help!” He said finally and Luhan looked so happy that Sehun felt he could’ve died in that moment, seeing Luhan so truly genuinely happy was his last worldly desire. However the spell was broken in seconds.

“Oh gosh, I have to go, my parents-” Luhan stopped abruptly, looking up at Sehun, knowing he shouldn’t have brought his parents up by the other boy’s pained expression. In an attempt to wave away Sehun’s unhappiness, Luhan tried to sound cheerful, “-I mean it was a great game today, I’ll see you tomorrow! Goodnight!”

But Sehun felt his sure night would not be good at all, there were actually many more of his desires to be fulfilled.    

Luhan hurried home, although he was tired from the game his fear kept his legs moving. He felt almost faint with relief when he saw that his father’s car was missing. It meant that his parents must have gone out, probably for dinner or something. He bounded up the steps cheerfully and went straight to the bathroom for a shower. He was sweaty, and his whole body hurt from being landed on by the defender from the other team.

Stripping down he stepped into the steamy warm water and felt instantly relaxed. Today had been prefect and he couldn’t have felt happier. Unless... no, he shouldn’t think that way. He didn’t deserve friends like Sehun or Jongin anyways, spending more time with them would only make it more obvious to them how useless he was.

Washing his hair with his special vanilla strawberry shampoo he contemplated which dessert to make after his shower, tarts he decided, and he’d bring some to school as a thank you to his friends for putting up with him.