Chapter 1

Mayday Showers

    Luhan was cleaning the chalkboard as afternoon sunlight filtered through the classroom windows, warming his hair. He suddenly felt strong arms around his waist, pulling him close to  a firm chest behind him. He hummed contentedly, and leaned back against the other’s body.

    “I never thought classroom cleaning duty could be this much fun,” Sehun murmured into his hair, making Luhan smile. He spun around, still in the other boy’s protective embrace and looked up, with his sparkling brown eyes.

    “I didn’t either.” He whispered before leaning upwards to plant a baby kiss on the taller boy’s chin. Sehun growled and started tickling Luhan’s sides.

    “You’ve awakened the beast! What are you going to do pretty flower?” Luhan’s laugh was like a million beautiful bells and Sehun watched in awe as the boy danced away from him with grace, still laughing and smiling as though he hadn’t a care in the world. But Sehun knew differently.

    One week had passed, since that day back in the locker room. The day that Luhan revealed the truth of his pain, and Sehun had not forgotten. They had talked about it for a little while, in between much kissing and cuddling, but neither had brought the subject up since. Sehun still didn’t know what he was exactly to the other boy. He still didn’t know what their relationship meant, but that wasn’t important to him. The only thing that mattered was making Luhan happy. And that was what he’d been doing.

    All week he’d been making lunches for Luhan, carrying his books for him, buying him candy and drinks and sweets, constantly reminding him how wonderful he was. And the effect was incredible. Luhan was positively glowing with happiness, always smiling and laughing even though Sehun still cringed at the end of soccer practice everyday.

    Everyday he had to watch his beautiful fairy walk away, down the road towards uncertainty, and everyday he was reminded that his baby still wasn’t safe. It was painful, to know how helpless he was against the force that controlled Luhan’s life, and he knew he needed to do something soon. It was only a matter of time before something like the incident last week, happened again. Luhan was still living with his father, still at risk of another beating, or any of the other things that went on in Luhan’s house, behind closed doors.

    Something else had happened in that week too. Luhan’s closest friend, Jongin, had become more wild looking, more angry. Though he still offered Luhan his smiling face and homemade cookies Sehun could feel the resentment rolling off him in waves. One thing was certain, he hated Sehun more than ever and was taking every opportunity to pull Luhan away.

Still, as Sehun watched the beautiful creature waltz around the room, carrying a broom and dustpan, he had to congratulate himself on a small triumph. He had at least made Luhan feel valued and that was enough for now.

“Alright, we’re late enough for practice already, I think the floor will be swept away if you keep going at that rate.” Sehun took the broom from Luhan’s little hands and the boy grinned. “Okay.” Sehun’s heart fluttered and he sighed.

The pair headed to the locker room, passing the players already on the field. Jongin was busy running exercises but he waved to Luhan as they walked by. The locker room was cool and they changed quickly to avoid having to spend superfluous amounts of time out of the warm spring sun. Sehun still took time to admire Luhan’s body, his eyes drifted up the boy’s skinny legs, pausing when they arrived over luscious milky thighs. His face turned red and he looked away, cursing himself for being this way. Stop it, stop it, stop it now Sehun. You can’t be thinking about things like that right now!  

“Are you alright Sehun?” The little voice came from directly behind him and he squeaked in a rather unmanly way. “You look a little red, you’re not getting a fever are you?” Luhan’s voice was filled with worry in an instant. Sehun shook his head quickly.

“I’m sure it’s just the lighting in here. Are you all ready?” He turned around to face the other boy.

“Yup! All set!” He gave a little salute that made Sehun’s heart turn to mush. He poked Luhan on the nose.

“Let’s go then.” The pair ran out onto the field holding hands.

“Gentlemen, I have an announcement to make!” The coach’s voice silenced the excited chatter of the boys on the field. They looked up expectantly.

“Our first game is in two days!” The boys erupted into excited cheers but the coach silenced them again by raising his hand.

“I know you’re all excited but that means we need to train extra hard for the next two days alright!” There was a chorus of, ‘yes coach!’ from across the gathered team and the coach smiled.

“Alright, nice work today, I’ll see you all tomorrow!” The team dispersed and Luhan was left standing by his two friends and the team captains. Jongin and Sehun both smiled down at him.

“You practiced very hard today Luhan, good work!” Jongin enthused, ruffling the boy’s hair. Luhan smiled back at him.

“Thank you captain!”

Sehun sent a glare in Jongin’s direction, he wanted Luhan to call him captain too, but something else was on his mind and it was more important.

“I’ll see you guys tomorrow then!” Luhan was saying and Sehun felt the familiar twist in his gut as the smaller boy headed away, turning back for a moment to wave at his friends.

“Sehun.”

Sehun was so surprised to hear Jongin acknowledge him that it took him a moment to respond.

“Uh, what?” He glanced at his co-captain, who was still watching Luhan’s retreating body.

“I don’t care what he said to you, but don’t think I haven’t noticed the way you’ve been treating him. I know what you’re doing.” Jongin paused and took a deep breath, “and I want to help you. I can see how worried you are watching him leave everyday. Can’t we help him together?” The request was spoken softly and Sehun felt sure he’d heard wrong. A whole week of being ignored by this boy and he suddenly started saying he wanted to help! What was going on?

“Luhan- Luhan means a lot to me too you know. Don’t think you’re the only one who cares about him.”

Sehun huffed, “Where was that caring when he was in trouble last week? Where was that caring every year before I came to this school? Huh?”

Jongin frowned still not looking at Sehun. “Look, I know you think you’re different and all, but you still haven’t done anything I haven’t been doing, to help him, and look, can we please just call a truce? This isn’t about us, it’s about Luhan.”

Sehun sighed, he knew Jongin was right. They were being childish to bicker like this when Luhan’s well-being was at stake.

“Fine, you can help me. Maybe you can start by researching child abuse and how it can be reported.” He walked away, leaving a wide-eyed Jongin to sort out Luhan’s situation for himself.

Luhan’s heartbeat still increased when he walked into his house. He knew it was empty though, for now. He hadn’t spoken much to his father in the past week but he had seemed subdued. Luhan’s grades hadn’t been mentioned once and what had been said was only light discussion of his father's job and small-talk like the weather. Luhan felt like he was walking on eggshells.

Making dinner like he normally would, he took a portion of rice to his room where he spent the next hour or so doing his homework. He heard his family returning and he called upon the fuzzy warm feeling of being around Sehun. He wrapped himself in the feeling like it was a blanket, protecting him from everything that would cause him harm. Luckily neither of his parents even knocked on his door for the rest of the evening and Luhan began to relax. He studied until his brain felt numb and his eyes would barely stay open, keeping the thought of Sehun always in his mind as a comfort.

 


A/N: I guess this chapter still isn't very long, I'll try harder next time.