Prologue

The Light Under A Moonless Night

The planet. A massive body; a huge territory.

 

For years, it had been a challenge for everyone on who would be the first to take over it. Everyone wants; everyone desires. Even the children were nurtured with such thoughts at a young age.

 

Many had tried; many had failed. And many were also at the edge of glory.

 

The Age was different. The world takes a new step. But a new step doesn’t really mean that it results to progress. Few were unaware that a New Step could really be bloody.

 

War spread over from land to land. Everyone seeks eternal glory that desperation became a trend.

 

There was bloodshed. Parents were killed before their children’s eyes. Armories were owned by anyone – from the smallest dagger to the gunman’s bullet. Man or woman, young or old – no one had a safe place to go.

 

But where was Power? Everyone dies yet what were they looking for? No one knows then that a certain being hides it, away from the prying eyes of the world. But his stewardship for the Power was not of personal gain. He doesn’t even know how to make use of it. Yet, he is not a fool. He knows that everyone is in search for the glistening cup of lordship, and no human is certainly qualified to gain that cup.

 

 Hence, in the heart of his first child, a girl, an Orb was created. As soon as his wife gave birth to her, the Orb was placed in core of her body. The baby cried harder for the force needed should be exerted slowly. As the Orb entered her small body, the crying subsided and brought her instantly to a deep slumber.

 

Now, the Orb is in her now. But he should keep her safe, away from the hasty eyes of the enemies. Because he knows that betrayal is somewhere near him and will surely hunt him down.

 

Somewhere safe, somewhere with people whom they could trust.

 

In the dead of the night, he crept behind the walls of the city and the trunks of the trees. The rustling evening wind made the hair on his neck stand up.

 

At the end of the street stood a small cabin; he knocked.

 

After a few seconds, the door opened. An elderly man revealed himself and quietly invited the visitor inside, but he hesitated. Without another word, he handed the man the baby wrapped in a white cloth which he was holding; she was sleeping.

 

“Please take good care of her,” was all he could mutter in between of his heavy breaths and occasional glances over his shoulders, “The rest of my words are written in a paper somewhere beneath that linen.”

 

Before he could take a step to leave, he kissed her forehead and smiled while tears stream down from her eyes. His eyes started to water too but furiously brushed them away.

 

“Be safe, Miyoung.”

 

And then, he left.