Fifteen

The Only Exception

(Ha Na's POV)

People came and went. I was finally well enough to be allowed visitors and seeing all those familiar faces never felt so good. There were some visitors whom I welcomed with open arms. Visitors like the Winner members, Ha Yi, basically the whole YG Family came to visit me. Some of them broke down upon knowing about my legs. 

"She'll never be able to stand on the stage she worked so hard for," I heard Jiyong sunbae say as he tried to keep the tears back. I turned away and felt the hot tears stinging my eyes, a huge lump caught in my throat. I stared down at my legs. I was still standing fine. But what will happen if I wake up?

However, there were a few unwelcomed visitors, and they were my father and The . They arrived on a humid afternoon with their pesky five-year-old son. He was busy punching on his iPad mini and did not even bother looking at me. I scowled. 

My father took my hand and it. If I could, I would have pushed him away and told him to get lost, that I don't need his sympathy. However, I stood at a corner and crossed my arms, watching them.

Crocodile tears coursed down The 's cheeks, smearing her thick mascara. "Ha Na, please wake up. We miss you," she croaked and I rolled my eyes. 

"Ha Na, you have to wake up quickly. We reallymmiss you. Minwoo, you miss your noona right?" my father looked at his son expectantly, waiting for a response or at least a nod. The child completely ignored his question and instead pumped his fists in the air, yelling about breaking a highscore. I chuckled bitterly to myself.

Ever since my mother left, I never had a family, or at least I never felt like I had one. My father married Kim Minyoung, whom I nicknamed The , and I had good reason to. 

I tried giving her a chance when she was first married to my father. I treated her as my mother and I was very respectful to her, thinking that she was going to treat me as her own daughter. After all, I trusted my father on who he chooses to marry. She was very pretty and looked young for her age, but through her I finally understood never to judge a book by its cover.

She abused me, both physically and emotionally. When she saw me playing with my neighbours, she would drag me into the house and start beating me up, saying that I was a trouble and nuisance. When I entered school, she would hit me for my grades and scream insults at me. My father was often out of home and I hated him for that. I felt so alone and useless. The scars on my arms are a reminder of my childhood, filled with her shrill voice and the sounds of whipping. 

I decided to become a trainee because I wanted to run away from home. I wanted to escape that damned place. I did not want to face her anymore. There was a point when I things got so bad I wanted to kill myself. It was then that I met Jongsu. He gave me hope. I shook my head when my mind started drifting back to Jongsu.

I continued staring at them as they talked about things I was not interested in - the neighbour's daughter going to college, the family that lived two streets down moved away. 

I left the room out of boredom and started walking around. Just then, realisation dawned upon me. 

Where is Jinwoo?

I had not seen him visiting me, not even once. He was not there when Winner came and nobody told me about him. I started panicking. Did something happen to him?

I started running towards the exit of the hospital to find him. I was about to run out of the exit when I hit an invisible wall, hurting my nose. I rubbed it a few times and stared ahead of me. There was nothing. 

I reached out and felt a barrier between the outside world and I. I was forbidden to leave this place, unless I woke up. I watched as people made their way into and out of the hospital, secretly hoping that he would be one of them. I missed him, I missed him so badly it hurt. 

Maybe if I wake up, I can see him... Maybe it's time for me to wake up.

I made my way back to my ward dejectedly. It was empty. I stared down at my body. The roots of my dyed hair were starting to appear and my face was bloated. I looked really ugly. I stared at my legs, my legs that I will never be able to walk on anymore, my legs that would never be able to dance to my favourite song. I sighed and ruffled my hair. 

Should I really wake up?

Then I thought of Jinwoo. If I wake up, I can see him again. I can feel his hands intertwining with mine, his plump lips against mine, his breath on the crook of my neck. I missed him, and the way he would look at me, and the words that he would say. I missed being alive. 

I shut my eyes.

Let me wake up.

~*~

I opened my eyes and a pair of eyes were staring back at me. It was Taehyun.

"You-you're awake!" he grinned and immediately sat up. 

"Where's Jinwoo?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper. 

"You're finally awake!" he almost shouted.

"Where's Jinwoo?" I cleared my throat and asked again.

"He's the first person you think of as soon as you wake up?" he shook his head, "Unbelievable. I'll call him."

I smiled at the thought of meeting Jinwoo again. I had so, so many things to say to him. Taehyun left the ward to make the call and the other members streamed in.

"How are you feeling?" Minho asked. I nodded and assured him that I was fine. They made a big fuss over me and started telling me about all the things I missed. 

They went to Singapore for the first time in their lives.

"It was really nice! The fangirls are so pretty," Seungyoon exclaimed. I hit the back of his head and grinned as he let out a cry of pain.

Minho got drunk and tried confessing to Hayi. She rejected him. 

"It's her loss!" Minho yelled.

I found myself laughing along with them, realising that none of them mentioned about my legs.

There was a knock on the door and I turned my head towards it.

Our eyes locked and I dropped the apple slice in my hand. The man I'd been dying to see for the past one week. He was skinnier and there were visible eye bags under his eyes. His hair looked like it was being hastily combed. He looked tired, exhausted even. All those tours and shows must have taken a toll on him.

"Hey," I mouthed and he slowly made his way towards me. However, there wasn't a sparkle in his eyes. not even a trace of happiness on his face. He did not acknowledge me and I found it really weird. When he finally stood next to me, I broke into a smile and tugged at his hand. 

However, he pulled away. "Don't," he said and the words I had wanted to say were caught in my throat. A pang of disappointment shot through me and I felt my heart sink. I stared at him, unable to read his expression.

"What's wrong?" I asked gently. I pulled a chair for him to sit on but he remained standing, his fists balled up and the veins showing. I was very confused over his change of behaviour. Just a week ago he was begging the doctors to save me and now he's... ignoring me?

"Can you guys get out for a while? I need to talk to her," he told the four other guys and they nodded understandingly, shuffling out of the room. When the door was shut, he let out a shaky sigh and sat down. 

His next sentence made me freeze.

"The baby, was it Taehyun's?"

I could not breathe for a moment. I raised my gaze and met with his, a look of shock and hurt in my eyes. Incoherent thoughts ran through my mind. I did not know what to feel, or how to feel. He looked back at me with the same shock and hurt and also, anger. 

"What do you think?" was all I managed to choke out. I shut my eyes and controlled my tears. 

How could he? How could he question me? How could he not trust me? 

"What do I think? After what happened between you and him, you're asking me what I think? I think the child is Nam Taehyun's and you're betraying me!" he yelled and I winced at his words. I grabbed onto the sheets and calmed myself down.

"You don't trust me." 

"God damn it, how can I trust you after what happened! You slept with him. And now you carried his child. How can I trust you?" he continued screaming at me and I bit the inside of my cheeks to prevent myself from shouting back at him. 

"What if the child was yours?" 

"Mine? That's impossible..." 

"She's yours Jinwoo. She's your child!"

"Stop lying to me! The last time we did it was a month ago and you can't possible know the baby's gender so soon!" he glared at me.

"Jinwoo, it isn't his, it really..."

I was cut short by a stinging pain across my right cheek. I raised my hand to cover it and realised that he had hit me. The man I'd woke up for, he slapped me over a misunderstanding. My heart hurt more than the stinging on my cheek. I started crying not because of the pain inflicted on my cheek, but because of the pain inflicted on my feelings. That slap made me lose all the respect I had for him. 

I was so tired. I had enough of him questioning my every action. I had enough of him thinking that everything had to do with that night with Taehyun. He doesn't trust me. And what is a relationship without trust? How can I continue if he finds everything I do suspicious? He does not even acknowledge that I had his child. He doesn't believe in anything I say. A relationship without trust is like a car that runs out of gasoline. You can stay in it all you want but it won't go anywhere. I have to let him go. It hurts, but I had enough.

"Let's stop," the tears flowed endlessly and I felt like my heart was being ripped apart as I uttered that sentence. His face turned from one of spite to shock. "Let's stop this, Jinwoo. It's not working. You don't trust me. You don't believe me. And I'm sick of it, Jinwoo. I'm sick of you harping on the fact that I slept with him. I don't want to continue anymore." 

"Okay." I stopped sobbing and looked at him. 

He looked up after a moment of silence. "Okay, if that's what you want."

No struggles, no rejections. He let me go just like that. I finally knew how much I meant to him. I wiped my tears and planted a kiss on his cheek.

"I had a great time loving you Jinwoo. Thank you for everything." 

He smiled and stood up, his hand brushing against mine. Without speaking a word, he walked towards the door. I wanted to call him back so badly, but his name was caught in my throat and I could only cough as I choked on my own tears. 

His hand was on the handle of the door. 

"You-you're the best an-and the worst thing to ever... ever happen to me and I-I can't decide if I wish I never met you or if... if I want to meet you all over again," I cried out and buried my face into the pillow, muffling my sobs. I heard the door open and then click.

He left me. He left me just like that. 

 

(Third Person POV)

He opened the door of her new apartment and pushed her in. She slowly took in the new surroundings. "This is your new home noona," he said and she smiled at him. 

"Thank you Taehyun." 

"I'll take my leave now. Everything from your dormitory has been moved here, so don't worry about packing. Take care noona!" he waved and left. She wheeled herself to the bedroom and was about to lay down onto the bed when she saw a cream-coloured letter on the table. She went over to pick it up and almost immediately, she recognised the handwriting. Those messy letters and the way he would always dot at the last letter. She smiled wryly and tore open the letter, unfolding the piece of paper in it. 

"Dear Hana,

I never thought I'd be writing this letter to you. I am going to say everything I couldn't, and wouldn't be able to say to you.

After what you told me, I realise that maybe, maybe I really was a jerk. I'm sorry. I guess it was just my insecurities acting up. I know I'm not the best guy out there. I can't sing as well as him, I'm not as good looking as him, he even got you laid earlier than me. I was afraid of losing you to someone else. I am always afraid of loss, because I have lost and I don't want to ever lose again. I was too caught up in keeping you to myself that I did not know it would suffocate you. Please forgive me Hana. 

I think I see you in a different way you see yourself too. I mean, yeah, you've messed up a few times and did things you maybe should not have done. Nobody's perfect and I guess I'm too late to realise that. But you're also someone who tucked me into two duvets when I was feeling cold, who listens to anything I say with that smile of yours, who makes me laugh and who made me realise that when you lose something, you gain something. Someone who made me see the light in my darkest days and I can't be more thankful for that. Someone who is a whole lot more than you'll ever know. 

All I ask for is three years. Three years later, if we meet again as two different people, maybe then we'll have a chance. Three years. I'll wait for you for three years and I hope you will wait for me. If you will wait for me, please wear the ring that came with this letter. If we see each other again with this ring, within the three years, hopefully you'll give me a chance. Fate and faith. That's all I have now. If we don't meet each other, after three years, you can forget about me Hana. Discard the ring together with our memories. 

Maybe one day you'll find a guy better than me, but do know that nobody loves you as much as I do. I'll be waiting. 

Jinwoo"

She shut her eyes and allowed the tears to take over her as she clutched the letter in her hands. A clinking sound resounded and she found a ring on the floor, a dazzling diamond on it. She picked it up and slipped it into her finger, the icy cold metal almost stinging it.

"I'll be waiting, Jinwoo."

 

~ End ~

 

Note: Thank you for staying with me throughout this whole journey. Thank you to everyone who upvoted, subscribed and especially to those who commented :) I feel very grateful that there are people who enjoy my story and you guys really give me the motivation to carry on writing. Yes, this story has officially come to an end and I know it may seem abrupt, but I feel that this is the best way to end it. But this is not the end!!! Be sure to look out for the epilogue. It will answer all your questions about this ending. 

I'm sorry for the looong hiatus as I had my finals and now that it is over, I'm free ~ I'll be starting on a new story, do look out for it!

Stay tuned ~ (for the epilogue!!)