Inner Strength

Mother Nature's Revenge

You cried silently to yourself, careful not to draw attention. You couldn’t stand the scene before you but loyalty would not let you run away. Kyungsoo was your dearest and only friend, and yet, there was nothing you could do for him.

You winced as Kyungsoo cried out. The street kids were beating him up again. He never fought back, that’s why they enjoyed kicking him so much. When, at last, their fun had waned, they left hurtful words in their stead, calling Kyungsoo a coward and a worm. The words tended to hurt more than the physical marks.

You shuffled from the shadows, coming to Kyungsoo’s side. You whimpered when you saw the cuts on his face. “Why won’t you fight back?” You demanded, pounding his chest with your fists in frustration.

Kyungsoo winced but held your fists to his chest. “You know why. It’s the same reason why you didn’t intervene?”

You sniffled and Kyungsoo instinctively reached for a hanky. The world had changed, and with it, its inhabitants. Because society was so fearful of change, the two of you had to hide your powers. Kyungsoo’s unnatural physical strength and your ability to zap all energy from a human were near lethal powers. Kyungsoo’s mother and your family forbid you to use them, in case the government came to collect you. Hiding certainly didn’t improve your life, however.

"One of these days, we’ll show them," You vowed after blowing your nose.

Kyungsoo looked stricken with your words. “Please don’t say anything like that. I don’t want you to get hurt or taken away.”

"But what about you?!" You cried out.

"I’m fine," Kyungsoo brushed off but couldn’t stand up without your help.

"We need to see Yixing," You insisted firmly.

This was the trend with you two. You’d wander around, no school to attend to, no rules to adhere to, until the street kids found you and beat Kyungsoo up. Then you’d make your way to Yixing’s, who had the best medicine that was under the counter, and the circle would repeat.

But then you two grew up. More specifically, you became a woman. With that, came many dangers. You were supposed to meet Kyungsoo at the market. He thought you didn’t know he planned on buying you ribbons for your hair, but his mom had told your mom who told you and—

"Well, look what we have here," jeered a male voice.

You snapped back to reality, fear griping your spine. Your head whipped back and forth, seeing unfamiliar faces and no Kyungsoo. “I’m just on my way to the market,” You tried to say casually, moving to be on your way.

An arm stopped you. “Hey, isn’t that the girl that we always see with the coward?” another said.

Anger filled you up to the brim. They didn’t even know Kyungsoo’s name? “Let me go,” You growled.

The hand that was holding you let go but the owner shook his hand, “My arm is numb. What the hell, ?” He backhanded you across the face and you fell to the ground. You must have lost control over your power while you had been fuming with fury.

"How dare you hurt her," Kyungsoo interrupted the scene with a low, menacing tone.

Someone aimed a kick to your ribs. “What you gonna do ‘bout it, Coward?” They spit down at you.

You reached out with your power, not willing to let another event like this go but Kyungsoo was ahead of you. He stalked forward silently. Once he was in front of the group of men, he slammed his foot down and the earth erupted before him. Rage fed his power as he marched towards the fallen figures.

"Kyung, no!" He had to be stopped before he killed someone and regretted it.

Kyungsoo shook his head, leaving his bloodlust behind and instead reaching down to help you up. The two of you ran to the safety of the market, staying on the outskirts as to not draw attention.

"What if they go to the authorities?" You worried.

Kyungsoo didn’t reply until he was certain your wounds were shallow and harless. “They won’t,” he assured you, “They’ll never admit the Coward got the best of them. Or a girl.”

You threw your arms around Kyungsoo’s neck. “I’m afraid,” You admitted, “What if the government knows we used our powers?”

"Doesn’t matter," Kyungsoo dismissed. You felt his arms come around our ribs for a hug. "I will never let anyone take you away. That’s why I have my power. To protect you."