n i n e

The Maid's Secret

n i n e .

 

Silence. The table is completely silent as the four of them eat. Occasionally, someone will tap their foot or a plate will clatter. But, other than that, they sit in awkward and tense silence. For the sake of conversation, Jongin jabs his chopsticks towards Krystal. “She’s a great baker, Father,” Jongin mumbles through a mouthful of food, causing Krystal to blink in surprise. She didn’t expect a compliment, especially from Jongin. “Maybe she can make those lemon tarts you like.”

 

Krystal, now at attention, nods eagerly and casts her employer a sheepish smile. His eyes glance over her once, before falling back to his plate. “I didn’t peg you as one to mingle with those below you, Jongin.” Mr. Kim replies coolly, eyes locking with Jongin’s for a mere second. Once again, silence falls over the table, and Krystal slams her foot into Jongin’s shin — payback for making her the target of his father’s anger. He winces, biting his lip to suppress the sharp cry of pain that threatens to surface.

 

He stabs at the foot on his plate weekly for the rest of the “dinner”. When everything is said and done, Mr. and Mrs. Kim retreat to their bedroom, and Jongin limps out as well. Left to her own devices, Krystal exhales the breath she had been holding in throughout the dinner. If I’m gonna do this, she thinks, I’ve got to earn the trust and affection of the whole family. Mr. Kim included. After carefully washing and putting away each and every dish, Krystal moves towards the pantry. Lemon tarts.

 

Unaware of how to make such a pastry, she pulls out the basics; sugar, flour, and lemons. Setting each item on the counter, she sighs and stares the objects down, as if they hold the recipe within them. Of course, that’s not the case. Several minutes pass as Krystal fumbles through the Kim’s extensive recipe collection in search of Mr. Kim’s lemon tart recipe. After looking through the very last book, she throws it to the floor in frustration, a slew of curses spilling out.

 

“You won’t find the recipe like that,” a snarky voice coos.

 

Looking up, her eyes narrow as she glowers at a rather confident-looking Jongin. “Didn’t I tell you to leave me be?” she spits. To which he shrugs.

 

“I never said I listen well.”

 

Krystal grumbles something along the lines of ‘obviously’ before turning to search the pantry shelves. Jongin, however, glances over the kitchen before making his way over to a small statuette. He lifts it up, and low and behold, the recipe in question is right there. A loud grunt sounds from Krystal as she spins around to face Jongin, about ready to give up. But, as soon as she catches sight of that small card grasped in his hand...a light seems to shine down from the heavens. Stepping forward, she reaches to grab the card, but he pulls it away, and she lunges again, but he holds it high above his head this time.

 

“Give it!” she whines, stomping her foot childishly as she pouts up at him. Jongin places a hand on his cheek before announcing, in a rather dramatic manner, that he doesn’t want to. “Jongin—” Krystal threatens, but his eyes flash angrily, and she quickly corrects her mistake, “Kai.” He shakes his head again. How absolutely childish of him.

 

Finally, he lets out a soft sound before meeting Krystal’s gaze. “Do something for me.” he demands. Nose wrinkling, Krystal folds her arms over her chest, close to calling it quits. Throwing her pride away isn’t her style, and it probably never will be — unless she goes through one of those “bad” stages like all of the other girls her age apparently have. That aside, Krystal an eyebrow, giving in to his immaturity. He taps his cheek twice. Oh hell no. “Do it.”

 

“Ha,” she scoffs, “really?”

 

Jongin nods, nostrils flaring after being questioned. Krystal shrugs and leans forward slowly, eyes fluttering closed as she nears his cheek. Such a simple request, and yet, I can’t believe she agreed. Then, her eyes flick open as she jumps, grabbing the card and running away, giggling. Mouth agape, Jongin starts after, growling complaints as she speeds around the counter. Finally, she bumps into him, hitting her head against his chest. Two dark brown orbs come to gaze into his eyes. She then pushes away, clearing and fanning herself.

 

“Anyways,” she stutters, “let me work.”

 

Jongin shrugs before joining her where the ingredients are set out. “I’ll help,” he announces, looking to the recipe in her hand before looking at her almost boredly. Krystal laughs as she ducks into the pantry, pulling out several items before coming back with a grin on her face. “I’m going to help.” Jongin demands, glowering at her over the things piled on her arms. He takes them from her, placing them on the counter and watching as she shakes her head.

 

“No, you’re not,” she says simply, eyeing him as she grabs things out of the cupboards. Jongin grabs the bowl from her hand, barely referencing the recipe as he pours flour into it. “Are you some kind of expert? At least use measuring cups-” Krystal scolds, shoving a red measuring cup into his hand. Jongin rolls his eyes as he sets it down in front of her, a smirk already forming.

 

“You can call me an expert, I used to make these all the time as a kid.” he confesses blandly.

 

Krystal lifts a hand to , a comical expression on her face as she turns to Jongin. “You can do something other than be an !? Wow, what a surprise.” she exclaims, grinning as he pretends to lift a fist. “So, you didn’t always hate him, then.” Krystal deduces, blinking at Jongin as she hands him a handful of lemon zest. He pauses temporarily before nodding quietly and mixing the zest into the batter. After mixing it thoroughly, he hands the spoon to Krystal, who the remaining batter off as she watches Jongin move towards the sink to wash his hands.

 

“I don’t get you,” Jongin mumbles. “Once second, you’re cold and dismissive. The next, you’re like this. Acting like we don’t hate each other.” he sighs, a hand pulling at his hair as he casts Krystal a distressed look. Setting the spoon down, she runs her tongue over her lips before brushing her hair to the side and lifting a finger into the air, mouth slightly open.

 

“Hate is a strong word,” she notes. Jongin gives her a sharp look, as if asking why she can’t be serious. It’s all part of the plan, right? Krystal wonders, I’m acting like this on purpose, right? “I don’t know, I guess I’m just weird.” she laughs awkwardly before averting her gaze. Jongin returns to the counter, busily mixing things and giving orders in the form of hand gestures. He eventually gestures towards a large pan at the top of one cupboard.

 

Nodding, Krystal goes to fetch it, standing on her tiptoes to reach it. Even then, her fingertips barely graze the edge. Slowly but surely, she pulls at it, until it’s on the very edge. An unplanned tug sends the pan tumbling out of the cupboard, towards her head. Two arms latch around her waist, pulling her back against the person in question as the pan clatters to the floor. Breathing heavily, Krystal clutches onto the counter, thoroughly peeved at this point.

 

The arms around her waist don’t loosen, and steady breathing echoes behind her, causing her to turn around. Now facing Jongin, she stares at him, her gaze steady. “J-Jongin,” she begins, stumbling over his name as if it’s the hardest thing to say. “You saved me.” Krystal announces, unsure of it herself. He nods slowly, still staring at her, cheeks flushed. Krystal’s mouth opens then snaps shut. Being saved by the person she’s trying to destroy wasn’t in the plan.

 

But…

 

Krystal moves closer.

 

And closer.


a u t h o r ' s   n o t e ;

• YES. FINALLY. Another update! Yeah, I'm a slacker, if you haven't noticed. Oh, and I'm usually too lazy to write author's notes, hence why you might not see them from time to time. I've been trying to figure out how many chapters this fic will end up as. I honestly don't know. Um, I'd also like to thank all of my subcribers and readers and whatnot because wow you haven't abandoned me. I'm kind of useless when it comes to updating because I'm lazy. It's a disease. Well, feel free to comment, subscribe, and possibly upvote! MUCH SARANG~

-PerfectlyExotic, Peyton


p.s. seriously. thanks for clicking that subscribe button. ilysm.