t h r e e

The Maid's Secret

t h r e e .

 

“Have you heard about the Jung’s?” one of the woman caws, flapping her hand as she initiates another session of gossip. The women all crowd around to listen as the lady talks through bites of a macaroon. “Their first daughter, Soo Yeon, you know what happened to her. But do you remember their second daughter, Soo Jung?” she asks, looking around at each of the woman.

 

One of them gasps and shakes her hand in the air. “I remember! She was the alternative one, she wasn’t nearly as promising as her older sister. Soo Jung was a bit different, I remember, my daughter said she was mean.” the woman says, her voice reminiscent to the hiss of a snake. Jongin, who had been lounging in a chair, leans forward to listen to the chat.

 

He, of all people, would remember the Jung sisters. Although he only met Soo Jung once when they were children, he spent a lot of time with Soo Yeon. The two dated throughout their teenage years, something he regrets often. Soo Yeon was beautiful, like a precious gem. She was adored by everyone--teachers, girls, adults, other boys. Soo Jung, however, was merely a diamond in the rough. No one knew much about her since she tended to hide in her sister’s shadow and spend her time alone.

 

The original woman rallies the loud women in once more to finish her thought. “Soo Jung is gone, too. She ran away from home. They haven’t seen her since. She left a note though, telling her parents not to worry and that she would be back soon. Isn’t that something?” she sneers, nose wrinkling at the mere thought. A few of the heiresses snicker at the thought of Soo Jung--despite the fact that most of them don’t even know what she looks like.

 

There’s a loud crash and everyone whips around to find the source. Krystal kneels by a table, picking up shards of broken porcelain as she wipes tea off the patio. Some of the girls sneer at her, but none dare to speak a word. Jongin smirks at the sight and lifts a hand to his mouth. “Nice job, klutz,” he calls. Krystal looks up at him and narrows her eyes, seemingly tempted to throw one of the broken shards.

 

“Those Jung’s are ridiculous! They just can’t seem to get their act together. They’re path--”

 

Mrs. Kim comes striding into the picture, fists clenched by her side. “Enough,” she yells, causing everyone to look at her, including Krystal. Her employer doesn’t know of her identity, no one does. Most people have only seen Soo Jung once, when she was a child. Since then, she’s rarely mingled with the rich or attended any parties. Unlike others like her, she insisted upon receiving a tradition education at a public school. Like that, she grew up without ever being noticed by people of her class. So the fact that Mrs. Kim is defending her family is simply out of pity. “If you have nothing nice to say, please, don’t speak.”

 

And they don’t.

 

qcGQPHl_Xg6loq30vOHcJbhtnYuUjKhO_JHogI3_

 

Jongin yawns and stretches his arms over his head before turning to look at his mother. The party had taken a lot out of both of them. And although it is still early in the afternoon, they’re both tired. The maid is still outside cleaning up the aftermath of the party--most of which Jongin did on purpose. He knocked over drinks, glasses, smeared food here and there just to make her life harder. It’s all part of the plan.

 

“I don’t understand you,” he states, causing his mother to raise an eyebrow as she rubs the back of her neck. “You’re always freaking out about what other’s will think, and then you go do something like that. Why did you defend the Jung’s? It’s not like we’re close to them anymore.” he explains, staring at his mother intently. Mrs. Kim folds her hands together before smiling at her son.

 

“Because, honey, that was the right thing to do.”

 

With that, she stands up, places a kiss on her son’s forehead, and retreats to the in-house library. Jongin sits there, dumbfounded. He’s never been one for doing the “right” thing. The situation has never really presented itself. And seeing as how his mother is a woman of class, he never imagined that doing what’s right would interest her either. Unlike most woman of her class, Mrs. Kim has a backbone.

 

Krystal comes in a few minutes later, arms laden with dishes. She sets them in the sink and sighs, cracking her back and looking around the deserted house. Almost deserted, that is. Jongin sits in an armchair, his feet strewn across an ottoman. He turns his head to the side and looks at her through the corner of his eye. “You,” he calls, “come here.”

 

She stays rigid, not in the mood to be bullied at this point in time. But he gives her a sharp glance and she remembers that he is her employer as well. Striding over with her shoulders sunk, she stands behind him with her hands on her hips. “What do you want?” she snaps, desperate to finish this conversation up so she can return to her work. Funny; she never imagined wanting to do work.

 

He smiles at this. “I need a massage--that party the life out of me. You do it,” he commands, turning back around and waiting. Krystal scoffs loudly and rolls her eyes. This isn’t something she wants to do, this isn’t what she signed up for. But seeing an opportunity, she steps forward and places her hands on his shoulders. She gently kneads the area, evoking soft purrs from the boy. “Wow, you have no shame, do you? I guess that’s what it means to be a maid.”

 

Krystal’s eyes darken suddenly as she stares down at the soft hair on top of his head. Oh, how she would love to rip it out. Instead, she pushes her thumbs into a pressure point. Softly, at first, so he won’t expect it. And then, she jams her thumbs into the same spot, causing him to seize up and and groan. “Does it hurt, prince? Does it?” she asks. Striding around to the other side of the chair so she can look him in the eye. “Want to know something else about maids? We’re vengeful.”

 

That said, Krystal pats his knee and strides off, a smirk planted on her lips. There’s nothing that brings her more joy than seeing him in pain. Nothing. When someone makes fun of something that runs in your family--you should go to all lengths to make that person swallow their words. Krystal’s grandmother was a maid. When her mother was her age, she was a maid. But her father fell in love with that maid and married her, ignoring the fact that she wasn’t from a good family.

 

But that kind of thing won’t be happening in this case.

 

qcGQPHl_Xg6loq30vOHcJbhtnYuUjKhO_JHogI3_

 

After recovering from the state the maid had put him in, an enraged Jongin stormed out of the house and demanded the family chauffeur to drive him to Sehun’s house. The boy had ushered him inside after seeing his friend’s state. Now, they sit in the “man cave”, sipping beer. That’s all they drink around each other since Sehun came of age. “What happened to you?” Sehun asks after taking a sip of the cool liquid.

 

“She might as well have punched me in the balls,” Kai growls.

 

Sehun raises his eyebrows at this announcement. “Who? Your mom? No, that’s not right. Was it that new maid?” Sehun asks. Kai flinches at the mere mention of her and turns to look at Sehun, eyes full of wonder. Sehun edges back in his seat, slightly frightened by the look in his eyes. Jongin could make that look, yes, but Kai would never. Both are indifferent, but Jongin is the intelligent heir while Kai is the rebellious rich kid. Jongin’s eyes light up while Kai’s only dim.

 

“That thing has no manners. How is it possible? Was she raised by wolves? Probably. I asked her to massage my shoulders and she practically paralyzed me. She could have killed me, man!” Kai cries, obviously distraught over the event. Sehun, amused at this point, lets a soft smirk play on his lips as he places a hand on Kai’s shoulder. The older boy looks at his friend, wondering what advice he’ll be given.

 

“You’re telling me, that you let a tiny girl get the best of you. You’re weak.”

 

Kai opens his mouth and shouts, “I am not! She’s just sneaky!”

 

Sehun sits back in his chair, snuggling himself into the cushions as he takes a swig from the bottle. “If you really don’t think you can stop this girl, there’s only one thing you can do,” Sehun announces, waving his bottle as he speaks. Kai leans forward like a schoolboy listening to a good story, his hands clasped together. He isn’t usually so desperate or eager, but desperate times call for desperate measures. “Girls are strong, believe it or not. They have but one major weakness, that is, love. It’s simple, really. Make that girl fall in love with you. Being that you are Kai, the master womanizer, that shouldn’t be a problem. And then, break her heart. She’ll have no choice but to leave as the sight of you will be too much for her to bare.” Sehun muses, a cocky smile spread across his thin lips. Kai, too, smiles.

 

“You are a genius, Oh Sehun.”