The Neighbors

LOVE NEXT DOOR
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

03

The Neighbors

 

Youngjae knows it’ll be hard. But this is his choice. This is what he wanted for a long time. And to finally have the chance to live accordingly to his plans, he’s not the one to complain and that just because he failed to operate the washing machine by himself.

So before he makes any further damage on the poor appliance, he resolves in procuring the service of an expert.

 

“that will be 30,” The girl says ripping the receipt from a small booklet and hands the paper with both hands. “the bath towels are a bit pricey, but if you want I can give you a discount”

“Ah. No, it’s ok.” Youngjae fishes out his wallet, pulling a 50 dollar bill and giving it to the awaiting cashier. He roams his gaze at his surrounding as he waited for his change and receipt. The scent of fabric conditioner wafting through the air is making his nose crinkled and a little itchy.

“here’s your change, thank you and please, come again.” The girl perches her arms on top of the counter, a dreamy expression baring her very young-looking face. Youngjae smiles and mumbles a thank you before exiting the store, a bag of his freshly washed and pressed clothes in tow.

It is drizzling. The weather has drastically changed since the morning. The sun was sweltering hot when he left the apartment, that he didn’t expect the sudden drop in the temperature in the afternoon. He dressed up thinly, a dark cardigan over a white shirt and washed jeans – certainly a big mistake as soon as cold air hits his exposed skin.

The bustling street suggests the time being between six and seven, the usual rush hour in a weekday. People of all kinds and shapes fill the street.  Some resort on clamping beneath the small shed waiting for the downpour to stop while others decide that jogging through the rain isn’t as bad as it looks.

And Youngjae is one of them, using his cardigan to shelter him from getting wet. It seemed to work quite well as he finds himself just slightly drenched from head to toe on the lobby of his building.

 

Moon Haven. The name embellished in silver lettering, bold and big in the wall facing the entrance welcoming the tenants into their home. A place that was too good to be true in Youngjae’s opinion the first time he saw it on the internet.

Aside from convenience in terms of its location, it is near the university with just one stop in bus, it is also quite reasonable on price especially for students like him. And even though money is not an issue to him, he still gives it a lot of consideration. He also believes that being frugal is a virtue. 

So far, the place is great. The house is great. The neighbors are even better.

Mrs. M is the woman who lives on the first floor and the first neighbor he met. She owns the place together with his son, a high school boy who is a little unsocial and likes to loaf inside the storage den that is right below the stairs. He’s not sure if he kind of missed the introductions or just forgot it even happened, that until now he still doesn’t know the boy’s name.

 

“Ah, uhm.” Youngjae snaps his head towards the sound and sees Mrs. M’s son. He’s still on his uniform, loose tie hanging around his neck along with a pair of green headphones. He can hear some English pop song playing from it. A soft cough pulls his attention back to the boy. “You have a package,”

Youngjae receives the said parcel covered in brown paper and small card on top. “Thanks,”

The boy nods his head before proceeding to leave. Youngjae is left alone inspecting the package, wondering who could have sent it to him. He opens the small envelope and slowly pulls the card out.

To Mrs. Choi

Youngjae snickers as he read the content. It’s not for him. It is for Mrs. Choi who lives on the same floor as him. Did he just get tricked by a kid? Oh well, it’s on the way. No harm’s done.

He steps inside the elevator with a big grin on his face and arms both occupied. The doors are about to close when a hand stops it from doing so. A tall lean guy enters the lift with a deep heave.

“Hi,”

“Hello,” Youngjae says.

The guy is Wu Yifan also known as Kris. He lives on the seventh floor together with another model-like creature named Zitao, or Tao for short. They happened to met them once before, in the lobby, when he was on his way to the supermarket. He asked them for direction and they gladly helped.

“So, you got a package.” Kris says giving him a smile that is a little awkward in the ends.

“Ah, no. It’s Mrs. Choi’s.” He replies.

“Oh, I see. Got tricked by the puppy boy.”Youngjae nods. “Happened to me before, too. Completely deceived by his innocent look.”

The elevator dings as they approached Youngjae’s floor. The doors open and before he steps out he gives the male a smile. “See you around.”

“Yeah. If you have time, drop by our place. Hang out or something.”

“I will. Thanks.” And he gets off.

 

It takes a whole two minute before the door to RM 601 opens and stands the sixty-something woman. She offers a smile and Youngjae can’t help but mirror the gesture.

“A package for you,”

“Oh, how thoughtful of you to bring it up here. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” He says. He is about to bid a farewell when the old woman cuts in.

“Uhm, it must be too much

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter