Elevator Rides

Elevator Rides

(Minzy POV)

 

Living in a 30 floored apartment building seemed a little scary at first. It’s so high up that when you look out the window, it feels like you’re about to free fall and either land on those bushes by the park near your apartment or on the cold hard pavement.

 I live in the last door on the left of the 21st floor of the complex. That means, for me to be able to go up and down, I’d use the elevator. Now everyone, well maybe, they have at least a little fear of heights and they all have this something to take away that fear.

I have that. But it’s not really a thing, but a “someone”.

I don’t know her name, I don’t know anything major about her, and it’s just that she lives somewhere around the 22nd – 30th floor…I should pay more attention from now on.

Ever since I moved here I notice her ever so slowly. At first you’d think that it’s just nothing, but whenever the elevator doors close, the elevator music starts playing, she’d hum along. Once the door closes I can’t help but look at her eyes. It shines with this sheer confidence that not even the hardest object could break.

Her golden hair reminds me that of a lion…on second thought, she’s that of a lioness; cute, but tough.

I try so hard not to stare at times, but it’s hard not to especially when she’s at close proximity.

There are also times when the elevator would have her and a few people in it. I try to stay at the back as much as possible; near her, or behind her. Just close enough for me to be able to hear her hum along the music.

Sometimes she’d be wearing classy clothes where her dress would hug her body in a very alluring yet seductive way. And there are times when she’ll be wearing casual clothes. Hoodies and jeans…just casual and relaxed. I’d like to think that it was her day off and she’ll be out of her friends for fun, you know.

She has a very pretty voice. It draws me in whenever she sings. I noticed that she only does it when we’re alone, I don’t want to think too much of it. She raps too; she’s really good at it. I rap, but not as well as her. In singing abilities, I’d say that we’re of the same skill.

Yes, I tried talking to her. So far all I ever do is say hello and good morning. She’d do it too, which is a nice. We’d smile at each other and well, that’s pretty much it.

I’d notice her sometimes. Look at me too, through the elevator door reflection. I’d feel a blush and play with my hair a little. Which I think it’s getting longer, I need to go get my hair fixed.

Then every time we reach the ground floor she will either say good-bye, or I would. Oh man, I should probably ask her name huh?

There are also times where we won’t see each other much. It’s either I’m busy with my job or she is.

Oh man, I should really interact with her more.

Dara unnie and Bom unnie tells me that she’s all I ever talk about. They find it cute that I like someone, but they thought it was weird that I only ever see her in the elevator and I should talk to her more. I agree, but I can’t help but shrink whenever she’s around.

I guess you could say that she takes my breath away.

Yeah, I have to take the first step. I must. Nothing will happen if I just sit my off here.

 

 

“That’s it” I said. Dara looked at me, Bom’s ramen hanging off her chopsticks. “I’ve decided, I’m going to do it. I’m going to talk to her.”

“About damn time Minji.” Bom said while reaching out to me ruffling my hair. “And your hair is getting longer.” I nodded and fixed it, my fringe getting my eyes. I stood up, grabbed my bag then bolted towards the door.

“You unnies behave while I’m gone.”

“Yeah, yeah. Make sure the next time the elevator door opens, you’re holding her hand dragging her here so you can finally introduce this mystery woman.” Dara said. Probably in the kitchen since I can hear dishes clanking and the faucet turning on.

With that, I took my leave and walked with my sweaty palms on my side and courage and determination. I pressed the down button for the last time that I’ll enter it and see that beautiful woman as strangers.