5;

Dead and Gone

Another two days haves passed and Jiyong feels a bit stronger, and now he feels confident enough about moving around on his own. He's been drinking plenty of water and eating even when he didn't feel like it, so the feeling of weakness is gone for the most part. For the past two days, he's been taken care of like a baby by an angry mother. Chaerin didn't speak to him much; she only addressed him when she needed to and when spoken to. Even when spoken to, sometimes, she pretended she didn't hear him.

On her way to work this morning, Chaerin sees a bunch of fans, moving together in a column. Fans are an often sight in the city of Seoul (aka the city of kpop), but these fans are not cheerful like they usually are. They are not screaming in front of an entertainment building as per usual, no - they're awfully sad and silent, wearing black shirts with white letters which say: ''R.I.P Kwon Jiyong''. Some of the fans are older, but some are young children, and they are not even the only ones Chaerin sees mourning in public. Jiyong was indeed popular beyond understanding, and this is something that has hit the entire nation hard. Only after a few days does she understand this completely, and every time she sees someone mourning in pain she feels a strong pang of guilt. They're all being lied to, and she has the truth locked up in her apartment. She has the power to stop the pain and tears of so many people. She feels terribly guilty for she's not doing anything at all. She thinks about how every system of values she's ever lived by has been entirely defied in the past few days.

When she comes back home that evening after work and unlocks the door to her apartment, she hears the sound of a pencil scribbling on paper - scribbling fast and passionately. She enters only to find her guest drawing - drawing a lot, using up quite a number of papers. He looks focused, consumed by whatever he's doing. He looks passionate, which is a state in which Chaerin has never seen him before. She never got to see the ''nice'' sides of him, if there were any. Being passionate about what one's doing is one of the most beautiful traits in people. And he is - whatever it is that he's drawing. She wonders if this is what he looks like in the studio, behind closed doors, just him and the music he makes. Or has he become so infected by the celebrity virus that he doesn't even care anymore about what made him become who he is in the first place?

She approaches tentatively and looks over his shoulder - the drawings aren't as skillfully done as she would've done them but he is an amateur after all; and the designs seem to her like a bunch of good, but unfinished ideas. She sits next to him on the sofa, putting her bag aside. He doesn't say anything; he keeps on drawing, trying to finish the design he's started. It's a long gown that looks like it came out of a fairytale movie; it looks like it's being designed for nymphs to wear. It's gorgeous, and Chaerin understands what he's trying to achieve right away, and he has all the potential but he doesn't have the skills. So timidly, she takes another pencil for herself, and joins him.

She adds a few leaf-like feathers to the sides, and a few details to the corset, and it doesn't change the gown much but it makes the design look more complete. Jiyong watches her hand move across the drawing, and everything she does seems like magic. With not more than two tiny details, she's made this gown look ten times better. His eyes follow the lines - from her hand, up her arm, until they're up to see her face. There is a glimmer in her eyes that he only sees when he catches her sewing or designing unawares. He knows it's her heart sending up a thousand fiery signals of her passion to be lit up in her eyes. She looks beautiful, truly beautiful - and it's not because of the good clothes or her hair let down or her eyeliner. No, she is breathtakingly beautiful in the way her eyes glimmer and wander, in the way her heart races with passion, in the way her every nerve dances with fire under the constraints of her skin.

She feels his gaze on her and she almost holds her breath. She's obviously not star-struck, so that's not it. She doesn't know why and she can't find a logical explanation, but for some reason she feels nervous. The way he's watching her and the way he's watching her work makes her feel exposed. It makes her feel like she's being evaluated.

She draws some more, regardless, and he joins her - hand by hand they're drawing together and it could turn out to be either something great or an entirely terrible mess of lines. He follows her moves but makes his own, and after a while of scribbling they know that it's over, that it's finished. Neither one of them has to say it - they put away the pencils at the same time. Jiyong takes the drawing and lifts it against the light of the room, and Chaerin's breath catches in . She doesn't really need his opinion or evaluation, she thinks. But when she looks up and takes in the entirety of what they created together, her heart starts beating faster. It might just be one of the best things she's ever designed. And he started it. His fingers are holding it. And he's looking at it with such wonder and amazement in his eyes, he almost looks like a child. Not the way he usually looks like a child, no; he looks almost adorable with the way he's looking, like he's seeing an entirely new world for the first time. 

''We did this'' he mutters, still looking at it in awe.

''Yeah'' Chaerin only says.

''Without speaking a single word to each other'' he adds.

''Yeah'' she says again, and then her eyebrows furrow. She actually thinks about it - they really managed to create something together without even consulting each other. It's like they read the ideas right out of each other's minds. She has never experienced such working chemistry with anyone. She would've never even imagined it'd be Kwon Jiyong to complement her perfectly in her work.

He looks at her and she looks down at her hands. She doesn't need whatever is coming, and she assumes what's coming is a philosophy talk of an . He takes her hand, which has relaxed on her lap, and she's startled a bit by that move. He looks at her, but she refuses to look back. He is trying to reach through, he is trying to be a bit less of a , but she's fighting him with all her might. He's really not trying to be a douche when he tells her certain things (most of the time), and right now he's really trying to be sencere here. But he knows he at expressing his feelings about anything so he's pretty sure it's gonna come out and make him sound like a douche yet again, without him even trying. He opens him mouth, but the words stop in his throat. 

He looks at her face again and he sees that she's thinking - her brows have furrowed and there are now small lines on her forehead. Her mind is racing. 

''Look,'' he says, but then stops, gulping. ''Oh for God's sake. Will you please stop thinking so much? It's so unnecessary and it's distracting me right now.''

Chaerin looks at him in total disbelief before she says ''Wow... sorry''. She gets up and Jiyong's hand falls free onto the sofa. She goes to her room and comes out changed to sweats; she picks out a book and grabs a blanket and she goes to the balcony. She doesn't care that it's almost December and that it's as cold as it gets in Seoul already. She decides to go to a different world, to think about things other than Kwon Jiyong. Her mind could use a break from him, because he seems to have taken up quite a bit of space and not in just her apartment.