Tteokboki

Book 3: FIRE

 

"Of all the days of the year, and there are freaking  365 of them, oh wait, is it a leap year? Is it?" He wiggles his head as he try to remember what year is it. "Oh, yeah. It's not. But yeah, of all the 365 days of the year? Why does it have to be today? Why did he has to ruin this DAY! Arrggghhh! Damn you Junhyung!", he shouted as he speeds down an alley to that ajhumma who sells Junhyung's favorite tteokboki.  People where looking at him as he seems to be on the verge of loosing control, alternating between shouting curses and mumbling unintelligible words. 

 

"The hell I care about what you think", he spat.

 

Finally after 3 more minutes of running and cursing, he got there.  And he can’t help but roll his eyes in utter disdain as he saw the line.

 

 "And of all the days, a lot of people decided to eat tteokbokki today huh." He wanted to throw a fit.  These people seem to be taking their own sweet time, talking and laughing with their friends while he's close to loosing sanity.

 

The heavens and all the gods must have been conniving against him and  luck is not on his side today.  He wanted to scream, but he calmed himself. He might just loose it. After 16 minutes and 46 seconds he finally got to order. Yes he counted that.  He ordered, and ran back to their apartment.

--

30 minutes ago, he was just about to get out of their apartment door when Junhyung woke up craving and ordered him to buy his tteokboki. Quite frankly, he cannot say no. Blame his stupid mouth for blurting out the other day that he will do anything Junhyung wants until the end of month, if Junhyung will lend him 100,000 won. He tried to beg Junhyung to just let him go for today, because of this important appointment he has in 30 minutes. But it was to no avail. He even kowtow-ed at one point. But his hyung is not to be denied. So he had no choice and grudgingly go and buy him his ing Tteokboki.

--

 

By the time he got back to their apartment, it was already 12:12. He's already late for his lunch appointment at 12. Sweaty from all the running, he hurriedly looked for a change of clothes.He even bought new clothes for this day, but that will go to nothing.   He ravaged his cabinet for a good 3 minutes before settling  for a blue polo shirt with 3 yellow horizontal lines  by the chest area.  He also changed his shoes to his blue sneakers. The green one he was wearing earlier does not look good with his blue shirt now. He was about to go, when he took a glanced at the mirror and  saw that his hair, which he styled for 30 minutes now looks like a bird's nest. That won't do.

 

12:30. Now with new clothes on, and fixed hair, he's ready to go. He gave Junhyung a glance  who's by the kitchen, eating his tteokboki with a huge grin on the face, like a kid who went to an amusement park for the first time.

 

"Aisssh!, that hyung!"  and slammed the door as he got out.  He was just walking out of the apartment complex, looking for  a cab when his phone rang. It’s Gikwang. Of course, he's looking for him.

 

"Ne Gikwangie"

Something urgent came up and I had to deal with it first.

Don't leave alright. Wait for me. I'll be there in 30 minutes. Wait for me."

"Ne. Ne.  Annyeong."

 

It's true when they said, when it rains, it pours. He must have done something awful for the gods, to be this mad at him.

 

"Where are the ing cabs when you need them?" he growled. He had to walk to 3 blocks,  stomping and kicking small stones along his way,  before he finally got a cab. Apparently, all the taxi did not want to enter their street today.

 

"How do I explain this? " He closed his eyes, contemplating deeply on whatever excuse he can make. He 's now inside a cab. He has to give Gikwang  a seemingly genuine and valid excuse, or else, he's might just  lose his chance now.

 

10…..

15….. Minutes passed and he still has nothing concrete.

He's just 5 minutes away.

 

Should I just tell them that I had to go buy tteokboki for hyung because I'm practically his slave? He mused.

"Ani" shaking his head. That will definitely not leave a good impression. He's already late, and then he's telling them he's a total push-over? No way. "That's not a very good idea."

 

"Think. Use your brains! " He growled to himself.

"Should I just try  to use my charms and confidence instead?  I'm quite known for that. " he thought, a smirk forming on his lips.

 

And it’s settled.

 

Finally.  He paid the driver, and stepped out coolly. He looked at the clock. 1:01PM. He's  an hour late.

 

He pushed the door of the restaurant open, and looked for his cheeky fiend Gikwang. He finds him on the far right side of the restaurant, by the window, frantically waving at him, motioning for him to come faster.

 

In front of Gikwang, is his girlfriend, (Rose). She looks at him too, as he walks towards them, and slightly smiled at him.  Beside her is his blind date - this is his important appointment. And he is an hour late. How cool can you get.

 

She's wearing a flowy  crème coloured dress with little red floral designs.  Her hair is tied up, and a matching floral pin on her head too.  She did not even turn her head around, to look at him, even though it’s quite obvious that he has arrived.  "Is she not interested? But why would he stay if she's not, right?" He thought. 

 

"This is showtime", he said to himself and mustered all his charm.  He slides himself down to the seat beside Gikwang's, and  smiled his sweetest smile  at the girl in front of him and said "So you’re the lucky lady."

 

He was met with a total poker face. No trace of any emotion whatsoever.

He just knew it's off to a bad start.

 

----------

A/N

 

If you have noticed, I have not named the main character yet. But you all probably know who it is, if you'e read the prologue. :P

Anyway? how was it? Was it good? awful? downright annoying?

Friend Me, Subscribe, Comment!

 

-XOXO

Queen J